Hardening Peps that you can't get into? Hardening a Ghost

Status
Not open for further replies.

goboy3133

Hey guys and gals!
So I know about hardening peps that you can make with access to both the outer side and the inner side, but what about peps that you can only access the outer pep? I.E. peps that are a full 3D shape with no holes to the inside?

I'm making a Ghost to compliment my Destiny costume, and I'm pepping it, but I don't know how I'm going to be able to harden it by hardening the outside and the inside, as well as harden both the shell and the eye, while being able to insert it, while keeping it's structural integrity.

How am I going to be able to do that?

Thanks,
-goboy3133

What you can do is put a hole somewhere and fill it with rondo. If you want to fill the hole back just put a layer of painters tape over it and slush the rondo over it. Then when it cures just peel the tape off and there you go!

What you can do is put a hole somewhere and fill it with rondo. If you want to fill the hole back just put a layer of painters tape over it and slush the rondo over it. Then when it cures just peel the tape off and there you go!
If I used electrical tape, would that work as well? And would the hole have to be all that big when working with Rondo? I've only used Fiberglass resin, and haven't tried Rondo yet.
-goboy3133

If I used electrical tape, would that work as well? And would the hole have to be all that big when working with Rondo? I've only used Fiberglass resin, and haven't tried Rondo yet.
-goboy3133

I think electrical tape would work fine. The hole would have to be big enough to pour the rondo yet. Rondo is a 50 50 resin and bondo mix. If you want you can make a funnel and just pour the rondo in it.

Awesome! Is there a tutorial anywhere about hardening? I've sorta seen different methods around the internet, and I sort of have a general idea what to do, but I haven't really seen any definite guides. Are there any around?

-goboy3133

Awesome! Is there a tutorial anywhere about hardening? I've sorta seen different methods around the internet, and I sort of have a general idea what to do, but I haven't really seen any definite guides. Are there any around?

-goboy3133

I dont know of any on hand. But im sure there are many on the forums.

Another possibility would be to partially pep the piece, or rather, pep it in two parts, and harden each part separately before putting them together. With the Ghost you could pep the "eye" separately from the rest. Might be big enough to fit fiberglass and a finger to place it, and definitely big enough to use as a rondo pour hole. I haven't pepped the model yet, so I don't know if there's an opening into the outer shell from there or not, but if there is, you'd be able to rondo the entire piece and reinforce the eye with fiberglass cloth, then just glue them together.

Another thought, if you want to get ambitious, would be to pep the whole thing, cut the "lens" out of the eye, harden the inside, and then put in some lights and cover the whole with a translucent lens.

[snip]
Another thought, if you want to get ambitious, would be to pep the whole thing, cut the "lens" out of the eye, harden the inside, and then put in some lights and cover the whole with a translucent lens.

I'm going to try and do this with a Guilty Spark model and turn it into a night-light for my little brother, however the model I'm using has a good amount of room in Spark's 'eye'.

Another possibility would be to partially pep the piece, or rather, pep it in two parts, and harden each part separately before putting them together. With the Ghost you could pep the "eye" separately from the rest. Might be big enough to fit fiberglass and a finger to place it, and definitely big enough to use as a rondo pour hole. I haven't pepped the model yet, so I don't know if there's an opening into the outer shell from there or not, but if there is, you'd be able to rondo the entire piece and reinforce the eye with fiberglass cloth, then just glue them together.

From what I saw in the live action trailer, the back half of the Ghost rotates separate from the front. You can pep it at the separation point and add in a really small servo to twist it. Add in a light and you are good to go.

My idea was to connect it to my shoulder with a clear polycarbonate rod, so it "hovers" over my shoulder.

From what I saw in the live action trailer, the back half of the Ghost rotates separate from the front. You can pep it at the separation point and add in a really small servo to twist it. Add in a light and you are good to go.

My idea was to connect it to my shoulder with a clear polycarbonate rod, so it "hovers" over my shoulder.

Technically the in-game Ghost consists of at least 7 parts. The inner orb, and the six surrounding flanges (I think that's the word I'm looking for). If you watched during the Beta, particularly in the initial "revival" scene, those six pieces fan out and orbit the central sphere. They've also made more subtle shifting motions from time to time in cutscenes. Would take quite a bit of intricate animatronics to give it true "life-like" motion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back