Has anyone tried Plastidipping in the literal sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cha0skn1ght

I don't know how well this might (or might not) work. I did some searching around here and didn't find anything about what I am asking. So most everyone that works with foam knows what plastidip is and that it can come in two forms:
1. ) Brush on
2. ) Aerosol

My question is this.
Has anyone thought of or tried to use the brush on plastidip to make a giant vat of the stuff and literally dip your foam armor pieces into it? That's the process you use if you want to coat a handle for a tool or something in plastidip (hence the dip part). Essentially slowly dip the piece into the plastidip then remove it just as slowly.
Yes I know it would be expensive to have a giant tub of plastidip (say for like a chest piece). I was just curious if anyone had tried it.
I wonder if it'd be too thick and I would lose detail...
I may try this.
For example, I would probably have to have a couple of these 5 gallon buckets of the stuff
Plastidip_zpsf4df2e1e.jpg

Attachments

• Plastidip_zpsf4df2e1e.jpg
    Plastidip_zpsf4df2e1e.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 188
LOL I find that funny because when I first heard "plastidip", I literally thought of dipping my pieces into something. XD haha It doesn't sound like a bad idea, but I don't know much about the stuff except it has made my stuff come apart at the glue seams. <_<

It might be a good idea to first make a random piece. Just cut out some pieces, glue them together and run a test piece. Maybe even add some detail so you can see how and if it affects any detail. Also pay attention to see if any of the glue seams are coming apart. It would SUCK to do this on a piece you actually need and have the end results NOT be something you were hoping for. D: If the stuff is liquidy enough, maybe use a paintbrush to help brush the stuff around on the test piece and see how that works.

That's about the best idea I can give on the subject. :p I am only familiar with the spray on version as that is what I first experimented with and was NOT happy so I have decided to avoid the stuff all together. I now have to rebuild my MK VI thigh piece because the glue seams started to come apart and I don't like how it looks now. :\

LOL I find that funny because when I first heard "plastidip", I literally thought of dipping my pieces into something. XD haha It doesn't sound like a bad idea, but I don't know much about the stuff except it has made my stuff come apart at the glue seams. <_<

It might be a good idea to first make a random piece. Just cut out some pieces, glue them together and run a test piece. Maybe even add some detail so you can see how and if it affects any detail. Also pay attention to see if any of the glue seams are coming apart. It would SUCK to do this on a piece you actually need and have the end results NOT be something you were hoping for. D: If the stuff is liquidy enough, maybe use a paintbrush to help brush the stuff around on the test piece and see how that works.

That's about the best idea I can give on the subject. :p I am only familiar with the spray on version as that is what I first experimented with and was NOT happy so I have decided to avoid the stuff all together. I now have to rebuild my MK VI thigh piece because the glue seams started to come apart and I don't like how it looks now. :\
That's so odd that your seams started coming apart. I've made a whole foam suit from Halo 4 and that didn't happen to any piece. Granted I had some other issues with the White plastidip (like bubbling too much), but not an issue with eating away at the seams. I have only used the Aerosol version but I just kind of wondered if a dipped method could give a smoother finish.
Thanks for the input :)
Oh, and I'm all about using test pieces when experimenting ;)

One of the only problems I can see with dipping would be loss of some of the finer details.

One of the only problems I can see with dipping would be loss of some of the finer details.
Yeah I think that'll be the biggest issue. If it goes on too thick it'll cover some detail and since I'll be covering a large area I wonder if chipping/ cracking could occur......

I dip tools in it and it's good for that, but armor pieces it washes out details and makes a drippy mess not to mention it pools up in any concave areas so you would have to keep the piece moving fast to prevent that.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

For armour purposes it seems like a bit of a waste - brushing seems to be the best way to get the most out of your product.

I don't know if I'll ever get around to testing it as it would cost a lot just to test and I'm not sure the outcome would be worth it. Maybe my test case can be small enough to make it worth it?
Thanks for all the input!

I don't know if I'll ever get around to testing it as it would cost a lot just to test and I'm not sure the outcome would be worth it. Maybe my test case can be small enough to make it worth it?
Thanks for all the input!

If you do this I would recommend that you pre thin it . You can use naptha.

never done the dip, but only sprayed my armor... went through 6 cans... lol

i've had issues with the white plastidip aerosol as well, ended up ruining a torso, it bubbled and gave it a sandpaper like texture. so far the black works best for me. i've painted it on as wel, but i went through brushes like crazy

i've had issues with the white plastidip aerosol as well, ended up ruining a torso, it bubbled and gave it a sandpaper like texture. so far the black works best for me. i've painted it on as wel, but i went through brushes like crazy
The white stuff I had did something similar to this. Kind of messed up my first foam MK.VI helmet. So disappointing but my second helmet was way better anyways.

I just used the Rustoleum Flexidip and it's very nice.
e5e9uby2.jpg

Attachments

• e5e9uby2.jpg
    e5e9uby2.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 233
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back