Hayabusa Helmet my first project

Status
Not open for further replies.

zohaibk

Hey Everyone! I am working on a hayabusa helmet and so far i have finished the pepakura part Which took about 2 days with the help of my sisters. now i am moving on to resin and rondo it. this is my first build and i hope everything goes smoothly. I have heard of many occasions where peoples helmets fall apart during resining. any tips on how to avoid that?

MdGm2l.jpg

NNoZal.jpg

Firstly, that looks awesome! Unfortunately I am still pepping my first helmet so I have no experience with resin/rondo. But from what I have read as long as you make sure the helmet is supported from the inside and you don't try to put on too much resin on at a time, it should be all good. This link might be handy:
This link

First of all.... Welcome to the 405th!
You're pep dose indeed look great, keep it up :)
As far as preventing warp/disaster when resin coating:
1. Make sure to install the support struts inside the helmet.
2. Do NOT try and resin coat the helmet in 1 pass, this caused too much weight, and saturates too much of the overall piece, thus, causing warpage or explosion! (I dramatically stretch the truth!) ;)

Slowly cover the whole helmet over 3-4 passes;
Coat 1. Start with say the bottom opening (going around the whole opening and up the helm for about 3 inches)
Coat 2. Do both sides of the helmet (stopping at the top of the face shield.
Coat 3. Do the front and back of the helmet (stopping at the same point as coat 3)
Coat 4. Do the top of the helmet... (and you're done)

You will have no warpage and have a smile :)
Now lather, rinse, repeat on the inside! (This time, do it all in 1 coat!)
Then... choose, Glass/Resin, rondo, or both!

Cheers,
Dave/Cereal.

Cereal Killl3r has given some great advice, however, for this helmet, I would suggest starting your resining at the top rather than at the opening. The reason being is that while the resin around the opening is curing, you will not want to rest the helmet on the curing resin, but rather upside down or on some sort of stand, both of which will cause stress in the un-reinforced top (the top of a Hayabusa helmet is delicate enough). So, I would suggest to resin the top first (which includes everything above the ridge line that runs around the back of the helmet), then follow Cereal's Coat 2 and 3 and finish off with the opening at the bottom. After that, you can apply a second coat of resin to the entire helmet with not worries of warpage. Everything else Cereal pointed out is valid and should be taken into account (I don't mean to step on your toes, Cereal).

Nice start! I hated the look of the Hayabusa until I drew up the blueprints for Skip to model it, it really grew on me after that.

thanks for the advice guys! i put support inside the helmet before resining then i started resining from the top and ended up finishing the helmet in about 3 passes. after that i resined the inside and now i just need to either fiberglass or rondo. there was no warping and the helmet still looks great! pics coming soon

Looking good man!
As far as the inside goes, I would personally do either;
- 1 layer of glassing, then a coat or 2 of rondo.
- Or, for a bit more $$$ you could use Bondo-glass + resin (Rondoglass??? ;) ... hmm, I think I like that name!)

FYI (just in case you didn't know) Rondo-glass is pre mixed bondo with fiberglass strands already in it. It's the best of both worlds, strong as fiberglass, easy to slush like rondo! It is about 2x the price of regular bondo though.

Either way, coming along nicely!
keep it up.

Dave/Cereal.

Dave.

VERY SWEET!!!! Congrats on the build. I had the bad luck of mine coming apart a bit. Now, I'm going to try my best to make it look like a battle worn area.

Looking great! I personally don't like the Hayabusa helmet since it strays too far from traditional helmets, but I've wanted to pep a smaller one just for show and a little test of skill. :)

You might wanna save that Professional Gold Bondo for detailing/smoothing work instead of using it to rondo since it's sands better and it's a wee more expensive than regular Bondo. :$

Nice job on the Busa so far, I built the same model and its really not to bad to finish, just take your time with the Bondo work and it will look great, hope to see more soon

alright just finished fiberglassing and am moving on to rondo. also which goes on the helmet first bondo or primer. pics coming soon.

Dont prime under your bondo work, the bondo requires a solid surface to adhear to. If you prime, the chemicals in the bondo will soften the primer, being that the additives that cure the paint will have long gone once it dries, the primer will remain gummy under the bondo, and the bondo will never stick correctly.

Only prime after the sculpting and smootjing are done. The primer can then be used to see all of tne imperfections, allowing you to correct them.

Looking good though!

Cereal.

sorry for the late update guys i was on vacation for a while but anyway here is the hayabusa at its current state
cOnbnl.jpg

Are you still working on it? I really wanna see how it turns out :) I'm also doing a hayabusa helmet, but this time I have a lot more experience :3

Excellent work so far... U are lucky that ceral and carp gave u such important advices ! :)

Keep it up i wanna see a hayabusa there finished ! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back