HD Lego Head (Pepakura)

Shadow Of Intent

Member
Soooo, Halloween's coming up, and I need a quick costume withing the next week. My first thought was the Dead Rising lego head, combined with either a motocross jacket, or a bloodied shirt and frying pan.

I only found one, which I think was produced by Rundown, but I noticed the proportions were slightly off, the upper face of the main cylinder doesn't quite go horizontal, and the "rounded" edges were rather angular.

I'm back at Uni now, so I don't have access to my fibreglass and Isopon, so I need a much higher resolution model. Ended up making one in 3DS Max 2014 this morning (Took about 2-3 hours, since I've never used 3DS Max, let alone any other 3D package in the last 8 years. I used official dimensions, and gave the cylinders 36 faces (Rundown's only had 18), chamfered the very top "bobble", and included a small lip on the lower cylinder in case that ends up resting on your shoulders rather than the top of your head. The opening is about 65% the width of the model, so at its current 320mm scale, the opening is 208mm.

Anyway, the reason for me posting this is that I've exported it into Pepakura Viewer, but I have almost no experience with unfolding files. I've onlt ever re-sized them and re-arranged them on the pages for a better fit, but never actually split the 2D nets up if they occupy more than a whole page.

Here's a link to the file if anyone wants to have a go at further unfolding it (It'd help me so much!).
Here are some of the screenshots.

3DSMax_zpsfd281841.png

PepakuraViewer_zps99c715c1.png

Picture14_zpsb56d460e.png
 

Attachments

Shadow Of Intent

Member
Well, I finished pepping the main part of the head with paper (I had no card). It was wonderfully smooth until I tried to paper mache it. I honestly didn't think paper would react this badly to it: The warping is just horrendous.

Is there any way to salvage it? It's taken a good 4 hours to pep so far, I may just have to make the most of it and use isopon at a later stage.


th_5_zps006d82fb.jpg
th_7_zps4dbc1a31.jpg th_9_zps5dca13ff.jpg th_10_zpse31bdff4.jpg
th_11_zpsbe0a56d8.jpg th_12_zps1ca1d14f.jpg th_IMAG0369_zpsd66caf93.jpg
th_8_zps1ba24be1.jpg
 

Attachments

rundown

Sr Member
I only found one, which I think was produced by Rundown, but I noticed the proportions were slightly off, the upper face of the main cylinder doesn't quite go horizontal, and the "rounded" edges were rather angular.
Haha that's ages ago. I mostly made that to be fixed with bondo. People then tended not to like the HD files so mutch. Less work to do with cutting out the files.
 

Shadow Of Intent

Member
Haha that's ages ago. I mostly made that to be fixed with bondo. People then tended not to like the HD files so mutch. Less work to do with cutting out the files.
I can see why... to be honest, for most applications of a round-ish cylinder, 18 faces should be plenty.
Any benefit from using a higher resolution model at this point has been negated by using paper. I just added another coat of paint, and well... it's kinda reached warp factor 9!
 

Shadow Of Intent

Member
Scrapping the old build; it's beyond repair
th_14_zps786691ad.jpg

Sadly, it looks like it's the Wood Glue that's the issue, not the paper.
Even with 160gsm card, the samne stuff I used for my armour, it's still warping. I managed to straighten a couple of the smaller peices with a set of hair straightners, and I may be able to pre-paper-mache a couple of layers of the main cylinder and iron them out before attaching it to the top, but the large rounded edges will still warp.
th_15_zps763b44fc.jpg

At the moment I only see 2 options:
a) Accept it can't be done with paper mache, and complete it later to a decent standard with fibreglass for comic con
b) Add 2-3 layers of thick-ish paper using a non-water based glue, spray lacquer inside, then strengthen with paper mache.

I have not tried the latter option, but I assume preventing moisture reaching all the way through will stop the warping
 

Attachments

Shadow Of Intent

Member
It's fully fibreglassed now, I just need some yellow paint. I couldn't be bothered to use isopon on it because it looked smooth enough without it. Ridges show up more easily when they were primed but not painted if I remember correctly from my Mjolnir armour.

Also, my motorbike jacket arrived! Chuck Greene all the way!

th_20_zpsb6eb3c6b.jpg th_24_zps23f78b20.jpg th_26_zpsc006b5c0.jpg th_27_zps9ce665dd.jpg th_29_zpsb920dd94.jpg
 

Attachments

Shadow Of Intent

Member
Never got round to updating this thread. Finished the Lego head ages ago without using isopon (So the individual faces are still visible, but relatively hard to notice).
Here are some of the last WIP photos:

th_33_zps45e8206a.jpg th_34_zps27379cb2.jpg th_38_zpsfec86768.jpg th_39_zps4193f604.jpg th_41_zps5a59d017.jpg

And upon completion:

th_43_zpsadb3651d.jpg th_50_zps8005b14b.jpg

It's not very well suited for the gravity hammer, but I plan to make Zero's sword from Borderlands 2 in a week or so, which would fit the theme better.
 

Attachments

Top