Heads-Up Display Ski Goggles

Status
Not open for further replies.

LastSpartan

Sr Member
transcend-goggles.jpg

Click picture to see article. Video in article

Remember those mind-melting Recon Instruments goggles that we caught wind of late last year? Admit it -- you never, ever expected those things to actually make it to market. Despite your pessimism, it seems as if those very specs are indeed making a beeline to the consumer realm, with Zeal Optics jumping in, working a bit of magic and relabeling 'em Transcend. Deemed the planet's first GPS and sensor-laden ski goggles, these things are purportedly capable of logging speed, altitude, temperature and time details, and the side-mounted toggle switches will enable you to view said data in real time (or not, if you're paying attention to the 50 foot drop ahead of you). Peek the read link for further details on the $350+ wearables (demoed after the break), and get ready to hit the slopes with a whole new mindset this October.

........ Goes off to make/earn some more money to buy a pair. Man, those things look sick! (And they look like they could be modified to be part of Jorges helm ;) . I think that these would be awesome, but at 350 a pair, I'd be scared s#i7less to wear them.

Actually, if I was going to spend that much, I'd go all the way and buy the 450 photochromatic ones.

Cheers!

this is awesome, now we just need it bulletproof and able to go clear and we have it.

at the rate of technology we should have a partly accurate suit by 2020, not bulletproof or make you stronger or have shields but enough to give the effect.

Goosebot 5000 said:
that is too cool. i hadnt seen those before this thread. pair that together with this motion tracker i found while i was looking for Aliens gear and youve got yourself a Noble Team

http://cgi.ebay.com/...5#ht_2067wt_939

wow that really reminds me of a heart beat sensor that would be awesome to have mounted to a weapon system at a con you would never lose your freinds

Last edited by a moderator:
saw this thought awesome.. then.. i thought wait it didnt actually show me anything... saw this from engadget. before... oh hey the link is from engadget lol... yea i didnt think much of it till their is a live demo.

READ BEFORE YOU START YELLING NECRO!

I got to try this!

So I was walking to my tutor in UBC when this guy came up to me and asked if I could give him some feed back on a new product his company was testing. Being interested in all things new I agreed, he proceeded by saying that the product was a new kind of ski goggle with a heads up display. I could barely conceal my excitement as I told him that I had read something about this on the internet. As I put them on he then asked me how comfortable the goggles were (they fit very well), once he had written my comments down on his clipboard he pressed a button on the side and I saw a small image appear in my lower field of vision, when I looked straight at it my eyes were not strained at all, and the picture was very crisp and clear. The image itself was not directly projected on the goggles, it came from a small lens in a long thin white box at the bottom of the mask. The whole unit was very light weight and held together well, the HUD unit looked like it could be removed However I think it would be hard to mount it in something other then the goggles.

All in all I found the HUD looked and felt good, it was easy to quickly glance down and read the display while not getting distracted. The picture was crisp and the info easily readable, the best part being all colors were visible and any the picture wasn't really distorted by light. A surprising amount of information was put onto that screen without it looking crowded, (I know this was a functioning prototype because the internal clock was running the whole time).

I can see this technology being used for many many applications, halo armor being one of them (If someone can figure out a good way to mod the device for our purposes) with great reluctance I gave the goggles back to the surveyor and went on with my day normally, save my huge excitement!

Lord Devious said:
READ BEFORE YOU START YELLING NECRO!

I got to try this!

So I was walking to my tutor in UBC when this guy came up to me and asked if I could give him some feed back on a new product his company was testing. Being interested in all things new I agreed, he proceeded by saying that the product was a new kind of ski goggle with a heads up display. I could barely conceal my excitement as I told him that I had read something about this on the internet. As I put them on he then asked me how comfortable the goggles were (they fit very well), once he had written my comments down on his clipboard he pressed a button on the side and I saw a small image appear in my lower field of vision, when I looked straight at it my eyes were not strained at all, and the picture was very crisp and clear. The image itself was not directly projected on the goggles, it came from a small lens in a long thin white box at the bottom of the mask. The whole unit was very light weight and held together well, the HUD unit looked like it could be removed However I think it would be hard to mount it in something other then the goggles.

All in all I found the HUD looked and felt good, it was easy to quickly glance down and read the display while not getting distracted. The picture was crisp and the info easily readable, the best part being all colors were visible and any the picture wasn't really distorted by light. A surprising amount of information was put onto that screen without it looking crowded, (I know this was a functioning prototype because the internal clock was running the whole time).

I can see this technology being used for many many applications, halo armor being one of them (If someone can figure out a good way to mod the device for our purposes) with great reluctance I gave the goggles back to the surveyor and went on with my day normally, save my huge excitement!

You should've made a run for it :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I suggest the Disney World / DisneyLand Haunted Mansion solution. Partial mirror (Mirror film lowest available opacity) set at 45 degrees to your line of sight project the image on the mirror

I suggest the Disney World / DisneyLand Haunted Mansion solution. Partial mirror (Mirror film lowest available opacity) set at 45 degrees to your line of sight project the image on the mirror

17114d1257963711-necropost-warning-pinhead-necro2.jpg

Dead post or not, did one of the options really say night vision? Like seriously! No depth perception problems would actually be possible if it just overlayed on top of the screen!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back