Heeeeeelp! I need assistance! (Marcus Fenix: Gears of War armor)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmethystAngel

Okay. I've posted a couple of pictures of the first Gears of War armor I've made using my styrene over sheet foam method:

http://proplady.livejournal.com/tag/ra

I haven't yet installed the el tape that I plan on putting onto the shoulders to make the glowing stripes. (I was experimenting a bit with glowing wire in the pics.) I also haven't posted the thigh, hand, or shin armor yet, but now I've got a problem. I originally thought the armor was going to take me 50 hours to make, and thanks to that torso with its godawful hunchback, it took me about 150 hours to make. (Not counting the hundred or so dollars worth of material and paint that I spent on the armor.) Now I figure I can probably shave about 30 or so hours off of the work time for that armor the next time I make it, but I've got someone who wants me to make more suits and I've got to figure out what to charge for it. (Of course, I could charge whatever I wanted, but how much would people be willing to pay for it, that's what I've got to figure out.) If anyone could help me with this as soon as possible, I would greatly appreciate it, because I'd hate to commit myself to a project that's going to end up costing me time and money in the long run. (I can scan in pieces of the pattern that I used if anyone is interested in making this armor themselves....)

Thanks in advance!

if i were you, work out how much it cost you to make all together (materials), then add an hourly rate, so for example i see you said you spent over 150 hours on it. so how much would you earn an hour in a normal job and add that to the cost of the materials :) then you would make a profit !
hope this helps

and nice suit by the way :D

Is that who you would do it??? because even at minimum wage 6-7 an hour thats still $900-1050 with out adding materials... 0_o and thats not even the whole suit. So is that really fair???? I only ask because I don't know and soon will be in the same situation.

what* you would do?? sorry for some reason it won't let me edit my post. Also I didn't mean to make it sound like thats to much I just have no idea what people will pay. I may have to start making more armor.

I'm going to have to agree with Joshua, I don't think someone will pay 1000 dollars for it. I know I wouldn't pay that much for any prop (no offense, thats not directed at you amethystangel, thats just in general). Like acenat said, add up the cost of materials for a start. If you really did spend 150 hours on it then a couple hundred may not be out of the question. I don't know, it all really depends on how good the piece is as to how much someone will be willing to pay for it and I feel like you'd be able to find someone who would pay a pretty good amount for that piece.

I just saw this in Nintentudes thread (halo marine progress? something like that)
He paid $225 for his marine armor. granted, I think its the whole set

Yeah I have been thinking about it and looking at some websites, they sell props/armor for way more hundreds even thousands for stuff that doesn't even come close to the quality of the 405th so I say go for what ever you think.

well ive been asked to make a couple of suits for people over here in australia, and the amount i have to spend on materials is insane..
paper $30
glue $20 to 30
resin $50
fiberglass $30
bondo $80
tools (sandpaper, brushes, plastic gloves, cups etc.)
then padding and straps, lights, visors.. gloves..
so thats already around 300 to 400 +
and then for me i would include the manual work i would put into this.. so i personally would be charging alot.. and i would want some profit..

but then thats australian currency.. so convert it to american :D
but im looking into molding so i can charge less and save me all the work of building from scratch each time

This costume here goes for over $700 and I personally think it looks terrible. Then again I would need to see it in person.
http://www.buy.com/prod/rubies-cost...q/listingid/96578404/loc/64935/211934423.html

Honestly? I would charge well over $1000 for a hand-made costume. You also have the opportunity to offer customization for the client. It's up to you. If your going to spend 2-4 weeks non-stop, making something, I would expect well over $1000 for my time. IF you make masters and get the molding process down, your still looking at quite some time to paint and detail. Time is money.

Hell I can get $1000 for a website design and spend 10 hours on it. If they don't wanna pay, direct them here, tell them to read the QA and say "Have fun, see you in a few months." Again, time is money. If they don't wanna pay for YOUR time, then have them invest in their own.

Yeah and I'm trying the molding process right now you can't skimp on the silicon or plasti-paste or plastic at all and they are all crazy expensive. I'm going broke fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back