Commander Fox - Animated Phase II Helmet (3D Printed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnavishPlum

EDIT: This was originally a thread asking for help about fixing a animated clone helmet. That one was refunded and I bought one from a different seller. I have now converted this thread into a semi-build thread for my Commander Fox Phase II animated helmet. Actual build begins at post #15

Ok, so I recently bought an animated Clone Trooper Helmet from Etsy... and I am not sure what to do with it. Now I am not saying that from inexperience as I already did an ODST helmet that came out fine.

odst.JPG

The steps would have been the same between the two. raw-cast from Etsy, finish surface, paint. But the issues start even before I actually work on it. This helmet requires way more fixing than the ODST did. To start, it was stated as being made from PETG, the same stuff as the ODST. It is not, heck its not even cast, its a 3d print! They describe the helmet as smooth yet I can feel and see the build lines. I worked on the ODST helmet, I know what PETG should look and feel like.

Compared to the ODST, the quality is just kinda poor. I think it is salvagable, but I don't know if it is worth it. Some small pieces are missing and the back (used to get your head in) is kinda warped and doesn't line up super well. I mainly bought this one because it was the animated one and I wanted the commander visor with it. It was only $120 which includes shipping so it isn't really a big lose monetarily.

Here are some pictures of it:
Next to ODST for size difference, bigger than I thought.
20190810_013055.jpg

Warped back of helmet. I am not sure how to fix this since this part is meant to detach. Also the strip that seems to be bondo'ed on wasn't in the listing pictures.
20190810_013253.jpg

Up close on the "super smooth" surface that is very clearly 3d printed.
20190810_013107.jpg

The other worry I have is again due to the size of it. My ODST helmet already makes me kinda look like a bobble head, and while I get it goes with armor, this thing is still a bit bigger than the ODST.

20190810_011735.jpg

It's not horrible, but it looks pretty massive on the skinny and sickly looking child I am. It takes up far more space than the ODST does which just makes it look really big. Not sure I what I am going to do yet. May talk to the seller and see what can be done. All I can say is that after waiting 2 months for this thing to arrive from Poland, I am kinda disappointed after how great the ODST helmet was...

Last edited:
Oh man I’m sorry to hear about all the trouble. First thing you should do if it’s been miss advertised is try and get it fixed through the seller or through whatever website you bought it from. If that doesn’t work you can always resell it.
If you decide to keep it I can offer plenty of knowledge and video links for smoothing and finishing 3D prints.
Specifically about the material. By looking at it material wise I do believe it is petg filament just by the way the surface looks. I know that doesn’t make up for it not being formed or cast but at least it’s a sturdier material than pla.

That's the thing with these 3d printed helmets. They say that the print fits to certain types of heads, but seriously, if the product you received was different in comparison to what was shown, then you should at least try to get your money back. To make matters worse, the images on Etsy sometimes only show what the print looks like in a 3d render image. If you want to smooth it out, it's going to take some time to sand it and fill it out. That alone takes time and money. If you want to go that route, take Omnijobs' offer and you could learn a thing or two.

Finishing isn't the biggest issue, I have to finish dozens of parts for my astromech droid and I have done it before, its more the quality and really the issue with the back part being warped. I am stating my issues with the seller and going to try and get a refund... but seeing that this was from Poland I don't know how well that will go.

What I can say though, even silly as it may sound, another kit has appeared suddenly that wasn't there a month ago (or when I bought this though that was the beginning of summer), I may see about getting that as it is accurate where this was kinda meh, it admits to being 3d printed, is in the US, is the same price and will also make size adjustments to the helmet if needed (getting it shrunk). I am going to wait until the other seller responds though and take it from there. Hopefully they agree to refund or something and paypal deals with the rest.

This other guy will be getting many questions though.

Last edited:
That's the thing with these 3d printed helmets. They say that the print fits to certain types of heads, but seriously, if the product you received was different in comparison to what was shown, then you should at least try to get your money back. To make matters worse, the images on Etsy sometimes only show what the print looks like in a 3d render image. If you want to smooth it out, it's going to take some time to sand it and fill it out. That alone takes time and money. If you want to go that route, take Omnijobs' offer and you could learn a thing or two.
It wasn't false pictures, but parts are missing and that one shown seems less warped. Pictures of an actual helmet were used. Mine just doesn't look exactly like the shown one, something I brought up to them. This thing was printed in 3 large pieces from what I can tell and that would be prime for warped edges (which is exactly the case). Size is something I can never know, but the seller being polish doesn't help with getting detailed answers. The ODST helmet (by LostVikingProps if anyone curious) had same format of pictures, but getting answers was easy since there was no language difference.

Yeah, warped edges can be an issue when printed in pieces. So what are you going to do about it? Eat the loss and buy another one or what?

Yeah, warped edges can be an issue when printed in pieces. So what are you going to do about it? Eat the loss and buy another one or what?
I am waiting for now. I sent a message to the seller about my issues and am waiting for a response, hours are off so it will be a little bit. From there, I will starting bringing up refunding the product and what is possible. If that goes well or not, I will start sending questions to the other seller with the different kit. These helmets are not really expensive so this isn't a huge lose if I don't get a refund, I just would prefer to get one.

I would have gone with the second kit to begin with, but it wasn't a thing when I bought this one like 3 months ago.

Update on helmet stuff!

So the seller was unable to cooperate, gave options such as printing new back (don't have a 3d printer), taking a heat gun to it (could further damage it) and also sending missing parts. I just wanted refund cause the quality is already meh and I don't feel like wasting time waiting and fixing this helmet. It was not worth the price paid (even though it was quite cheap by helmet standards). So PayPal is dealing with the claim for a refund and we will see how that goes.

I contacted the other seller and talked to them with questions related to issues with the other (warping, material, etc.). They answer all questions so I am ordering their kit. The seller also has a Youtube channel I have watched in the past that is all about 3d printing 501st accurate clone armor so I am confident in the seller.

They also agreed to scale it down a bit so it isn't so large on me! So some good and bad!

That's always an issue with some online sellers from other countries. They will be willing to do anything but giving you a full refund. Now about this other seller you've contacted. Is it the same seller you mentioned before?

Yes, I did mention this second seller! The are named BigBabyProps (all these people have such weird names.). I honestly would have gotten their kit first but it wasn't visible or available when I bought the one I have.

I don't actually know what to do with the existing one. I have a feeling it isn't going back to Poland, but who knows. I don't know if I should just trash it or try and do something with it. obviously gonna wait till I get word from PayPal on what is happening and if the seller says anything.

It is kinda funny though, I feel like I wouldn't be as confident with this stuff if not for the ODST helmet. I have a clear benchmark of a quality Etsy helmet with it to compare from.

Yes, I did mention this second seller! The are named BigBabyProps (all these people have such weird names.). I honestly would have gotten their kit first but it wasn't visible or available when I bought the one I have.

I don't actually know what to do with the existing one. I have a feeling it isn't going back to Poland, but who knows. I don't know if I should just trash it or try and do something with it. obviously gonna wait till I get word from PayPal on what is happening and if the seller says anything.

It is kinda funny though, I feel like I wouldn't be as confident with this stuff if not for the ODST helmet. I have a clear benchmark of a quality Etsy helmet with it to compare from.

I've heard of BigBabyProps! He makes great stuff! The last video I saw was with the Capt. Phasma Helmet that he chromed out. Nice choice! As far as the helmet? I think you should donate it to a place that could use the filament if you are not going to sell it. Waste not, want not.

I've heard of BigBabyProps! He makes great stuff! The last video I saw was with the Capt. Phasma Helmet that he chromed out. Nice choice! As far as the helmet? I think you should donate it to a place that could use the filament if you are not going to sell it. Waste not, want not.
I didn't think or know you could donate prints to turn back into filament. I'll have to look into that.

Oh, yeah! There are places around the world that could use unwanted 3d Prints to turn into filament again. There are companies that can take the prints off your hands and they can recycle them. However, you have to send them the parts first. Just something to think about.

Very late update due to college and some small mishaps with the new helmet, but here it is! Bought from BigBabyProps (now Galactic Armory) and is their animated clone commander kit, though I don't have any of the extra stuff on the pictures.

I had to wait an extra week cause the helmet glues up in 3 parts and was scaled down to be less bobblehead like. They forgot to scale the front but it was fixed very quickly. It actually fits as one whole thing, I don't need to have a removable back which is nice, but my glasses don't fit (which I knew going in. The ODST helmet is special in that regard to this and the other helmets I plan to build).

But here it is after the main pieces have been glued and the beginning of its filler primer and bondo:
20190928_112708.jpg

20190928_181619.jpg

The second picture looks like I tried to be artsy. Maybe its the lighting and the random tool clutter placed around it as if on purpose? Looked good for Instagram I guess.

This will again be the last update for a bit. I only get to work on this when I go home for a weekend and I don't on doing that for a bit so I can attend costume club (For my Halo suit of course) and help the marching band with digital media stuff. But I hope to do some stuff around November!

Looks good. I'm going to have to just rely on spot putty from now on. I went with Bondo first and now I'm suffering for it. Had to go back to 80 grit to get rid of the high spots and work my way back up again.

Looks good. I'm going to have to just rely on spot putty from now on. I went with Bondo first and now I'm suffering for it. Had to go back to 80 grit to get rid of the high spots and work my way back up again.
The bondo spot putty I have been using has been serving me well. I have had to use more than I originally though, which is fine, but it is slowly getting there. Wonder how its doing just chilling in my garage while I write this in my dorm room :p

Well, I was able to skip past this part now, I just need to start using filler primer before the painting process. I just have to learn how to use bondo better.

Ok, well this thread hasn't been updated in a while. I haven't made as much progress as I wished, but with college having been shuttered for the rest of the year due to this current pandemic, I will be able to work on the helmet and my Halo suit a bit more consistently. I don't have any pictures for now, but I hope to have some in the next few days. the helmet looks mostly the same but now black to better see remaining areas that need help.

Sadly it has also gotten pretty hot and I worry for the helmet not warping so that may hamper things as well. Also my super glue seems to have gotten a runny nose as I do... thanks allergies.

Today is cold and rainy so not much, but today was mainly about the commander visor. The pictures are a bit blurry as its cold and I wasn't paying to much mind to them. Either way:

Has you can see here (or sorta see cause its blurry), the edge of the visor is kinda messy. it would have taken lots of Bondo to fix the issue. I am not sure how this was oriented, but this area is not in the best shape. That is fine though cause the rest is great and I have an easy fix!
20200328_113811.jpg

Using some of the 1mm styrene that I bought for my Astromech, who has been just sitting around and will continue doing that for a bit, I cut strips the same width as the front edge and I guess edge banded it? I super glued the strips on and will Bondo/sand later to hopefully get a seamless transition.
20200328_113829.jpg
20200328_115206.jpg

Other than this, I just started final Bondoing on the helmet. taking a pencil to mark any areas that still need help. I hope to order the correct red (I think the 501st uses Apple Red or Cardinal) I need in the coming days. I plan to just hand brush the white sections of the helmet has I don't feel like taping up the helmet for all the different sections of white, but who knows. Then its just finishing the little bits like the antenna, light and filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back