helmet molding using caulk!

Status
Not open for further replies.
wanted to let you guys know About the success i had with this new method, here is one vid but I have more all in parts of tutorial , enjoy guys! -Jp

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow super helpful! Was there a certain caulk you used or did you use maybe the general purpose caulk?

I have not been able to find a caulk that wont break when you use it for a glove mold. The 2 piece idea is maybe the only way to use caulk effectively. I have a noble 6 helmet about half covered in rtv right now. If that doesnt work, itll be a new search for a sub for glove molding. I may end up going with the 2 part like this eventually.

Thanks for the video! At least I can see a way to make cheap molds so I know that it IS an option after all!

These molds were made from colorplace brand available at walmart, jus generic clear silicone caulk, @arioch- Yea I am hesitant about glove molding, it is ridgid, def better to 2 part it i think, Glad you guys are diggin the tuts! - Jp

You may have just saved me about $250 dollars. Thank you so much for posting this! Now once you had your molds made, what kind of resin did you use to cast the helmet? And did you have to use any release agent for either the molding or the casting?

Hey guys, since i molded over clay there was no release used, If It was done over anything else you would need release cause of the inital adhesion that the caulk has, As far as resin i use smoothcast 300,320 with no release agent.

Hey guys, since i molded over clay there was no release used, If It was done over anything else you would need release cause of the inital adhesion that the caulk has, As far as resin i use smoothcast 300,320 with no release agent.

Cool I really can't wait to give this a try on my rogue helmet! I think I will try a 4 piece mold. Alittle bummed though, cuz I will have to wait till I get back from my 16 day fire assignment. :-[

Cool I really can't wait to give this a try on my rogue helmet! I think I will try a 4 piece mold. Alittle bummed though, cuz I will have to wait till I get back from my 16 day fire assignment. :-[

what is that?? lol, yea, check the tut vids and if you have any q's jus let me know.

Bickering closes threads. Just saying.

JP- You may have answered this before but, does any silicone work? or should you use a certain type? Thanks again!

Jacob

JP- You may have answered this before but, does any silicone work? or should you use a certain type? Thanks again!
Jacob

These molds were made from colorplace brand available at walmart, jus generic clear silicone caulk, @arioch- Yea I am hesitant about glove molding, it is ridgid, def better to 2 part it i think, Glad you guys are diggin the tuts! - Jp

To OP: Great video. While not a new method, it's great that you expounded/explained in more detail how to do it. This gives people who may be a little strapped for cash another option.

just watched it for the 3rd time and he still says the exact same things that were in the old thread :/

Bickering closes threads. Just saying.

Jacob
As long as is 100 percent silicone you should be fine, there are caulk/sealeants that say they have an amount of silicone in them ,those you dont want, Another good brand is ge silicone 2, but cost twice as much as the cheaper stuff

ok so im back from fighting fire in texas! so I thought I would give this a try with my rouge helmet, and unfortunately it didn't work out as great as I wanted to! so im alittle bumed but this was the first time trying this so ill take it as a learning experience. lol I think the release agent that use just wasn't cutting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back