Help choosing what to use for gaps and seams

Status
Not open for further replies.

nekothecat

so I have a little problem. I finished my foam armor set but now I have to worry about glue seams and large gaps. I used all purpose silicone sealant and I don't know if it'll stick I feel like it would just peel off.

can anyone recommend any product that is within budget range.
IMG_6152.JPG
IMG_6153.JPG
IMG_6154.JPG

I will soon fix the rough edges and deep gaps with sand paper to lower them so not much material will be used to fill gaps!

Last edited by a moderator:
I use DAP Kwik Seal to fill in my gaps. I have seen in some YouTube tutorials people just filling in gaps with hot glue and then smoothing it out as well.

nekothecat, there are a few ways to seal and fill gaps. PaiganBoi is correct, caulk or hot glue are a way to go. I have also heard people use spackle/joint compound or even Bondo. These last 2 are hard substances. Its a matter of preference what you use...... Personally, for a foam build, I would go w/ a flexible filler. Less likelihood of tearing of the seam/joint/gap. For those materials, I would use for peped/fiber-glassed armor.

On a side note, the pic is a bit grainy, but I think you need to use a sharper blade when cutting your foam. It will allow the foam to form a closer seam which will eliminate a lot of gaps. If you look at the 3rd picture at the edge of the foam you can see where the blade has created that rough center section. If you butt up another piece of foam w/ the same cut, it will form that gap you are trying to fill. A sharper blade will eliminate the majority of this issue. And just as a tutorial aid, using a ruler for your straight cuts really helps. A metal ruler would be best.

Good luck on your build, lets see more of what you have built.

nekothecat, there are a few ways to seal and fill gaps. PaiganBoi is correct, caulk or hot glue are a way to go. I have also heard people use spackle/joint compound or even Bondo. These last 2 are hard substances. Its a matter of preference what you use...... Personally, for a foam build, I would go w/ a flexible filler. Less likelihood of tearing of the seam/joint/gap. For those materials, I would use for peped/fiber-glassed armor.

On a side note, the pic is a bit grainy, but I think you need to use a sharper blade when cutting your foam. It will allow the foam to form a closer seam which will eliminate a lot of gaps. If you look at the 3rd picture at the edge of the foam you can see where the blade has created that rough center section. If you butt up another piece of foam w/ the same cut, it will form that gap you are trying to fill. A sharper blade will eliminate the majority of this issue. And just as a tutorial aid, using a ruler for your straight cuts really helps. A metal ruler would be best.

Good luck on your build, lets see more of what you have built.
Yeah I keep forgetting to get new blades and thanks for the tip w/ the metal ruler. And also whenever I get edges like that I usually just sand them down.

If you want to save money on blades I suggest you invest in a knife sharpening tool. It has extended the life of my blades considerably.

If you want to save money on blades I suggest you invest in a knife sharpening tool. It has extended the life of my blades considerably.

Agreed!!! I have an old kitchen sharpener and keep using the blade, sharpening it, until the tip breaks off....that happens after a certain amount of time of using the same blade on a cutting board. But is will save you a ton of money....and time that you would be spending sanding a bad cut down smooth.

nekothecat, everything that has been brought up here is correct. Personally, I use Qwik Seal because it's flexible and easy to apply. However, I have used patch and paint (the type of spackle recommended by Spacemeat in his foam fabrication videos) as well.

As for creating cleaner cuts, a sharpener will greatly extend the life of the blade and your cutting abilities. While I do still go through blades, I don't have to go through as many over time. The sharpener that I have costs maybe 4 bucks on Amazon.

If you have access to power tools, another option is a scroll saw or band saw with an adjustable table so you can do angled cuts.

You could use a hot knife, that is what I use and it cuts through foam really easily

You could use a hot knife, that is what I use and it cuts through foam really easily
That works great as well from what I have heard. Don't you need to have very good ventilation though? The hot knife burns the foam while you cut. That must have a very nasty smell... Mmmmmmmmm burn foam.....

when you make quick cuts it doesn't usually melt enough to smell, however it is best to keep the room you build in ventilated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back