Help - Halo PC won't start

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnKiller118

I purchased Halo PC a few months back... and have yet to actually play it.
I installed the game, ran that thing that finds and installs the latest patch. I start it up, it takes me to a black screen (sometimes it even shows the "Halo" splash screen)... then it just stops, and takes me back to my desktop.

I try again, and I get this;
halopcfuckup.jpg

I try "Safe Mode", and even that doesn't work.

I'm running Windows XP and my specs are way beyond the minimum (or hell, maybe even the recommended) requirements.

Anyone have any idea what's going on?
Thank you.

EDIT: FIXED! But now I have a new problem. See my post on the next page.

I would recommend uninstalling the game, and deleting all the files that went along with the setup. Then try installing it again. If that doesn't work, you may have to ask someone else with a bit more computing knowledge. Lol :)

what I did as click dont show this warning again and then continue anyway.
it worked on my school computers that way, something strange happened with my version so I just go the portable version off my friend and play online that way :p

You just got an Exception! error.

I'd suggest uninstalling and reinstalling the game. Also, try adding RAM to your PC, if possible.

You may also try installing Halo Custom Edition, and seeing how that works for ya.

I´ve had the same problem.Just find thisfile in the instalation directory X:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Halo . haloupdate file just click on it and the whole thing will update . it worked for me :)

Thanks for your help guys, but no luck so far.

I've tried everything except adding RAM to my computer (I have 2046MB of RAM and the game only requires 128MB.)
Nothing works.
Any other suggestions?

I had an issue a while back where none of the campaign missions would run. I had to reinstall the game several times, but what I finally got to work was installing, then running without updating it. I then installed the update within the game UI. You might try that.

Well to help you that happens to me but you need to press "continue anyway" to make it run. Also sorry to kill the mood, Halo PC is available free or a just-multiplayer verion, but can been made to play campaign and play user created maps. http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?pg=1&sid=11 . I have the game both Combat evolved (when it came out) and the Custom Edition.

I purchased Halo PC a few months back... and have yet to actually play it.
I installed the game, ran that thing that finds and installs the latest patch. I start it up, it takes me to a black screen (sometimes it even shows the "Halo" splash screen)... then it just stops, and takes me back to my desktop.

I try again, and I get this;
halopcfuckup.jpg

I try "Safe Mode", and even that doesn't work.

I'm running Windows XP and my specs are way beyond the minimum (or hell, maybe even the recommended) requirements.

Anyone have any idea what's going on?
Thank you.

I think it may be a problem with your video card. Either wrong driver or something misconfigured. The reason i say that in the picture you posted it shows your video card as UNKNOWN it should show what type card you have installed. The machine specs are fine. I get that message all the time and when i play on my panasonic toughbook cf-28 and it only has 800 mhz processor, 348 mb ram and 48mb video ram, BUT it still plays the game. Have you played any other games on it. It could also be a direct X issue.

I have played many other games on my PC. They all run fine.

It might be a driver/misconfiguration issue... so how do I fix it?
Thank you all again.

Edit: And before anyone asks me to click "continue anyway" again... I did. The screen flashes black, then it goes back to my desktop. That's the problem.

SO!
I miraculously got it to work.
I just had to update my drivers...
I feel like an idiot now, but whatever. Thank you everyone.

Anyway, now I get an Exception! error whenever I reach a certain point of "Truth and Reconciliation." It's on the Covenant ship, in the hallway after the hunter fight in that open two floor area. I go down the hall, kill the grunts (and the elite), I turn left, and... EXCEPTION! LOL!
Yes, I'm fully patched, and I tried running it in Safe Mode.

Have you ever modded Halo PC? I have, and thats what happened to me. If you have, go to hce.halomaps.org/ and download the truth and reconciliation map. drag it to the Microsoft Games/Halo/MAPS and replace the old file.

Have you ever ran a registery cleaner on your pc? If not it may be time for a small "overhaul" before you reinstall. I am not sure if you know what i am talking about. But i would recommend temp/junk file clean up, registery cleaner, registery defrag, main disk defrag.

I am not sure if you know what i am talking about.
I vaguely do.
I just ran a freeware program called "RegSeeker" (I didn't realize what you recommended were actually programs. lol) Did a clean up.
I'm sorry. It still doesn't work.

What are your system specs? Tell me your operating system, ram, processor, video card, etc. Also, if you could copy/paste the actual error you are getting, I can probably figure out exactly what is going on. The registry cleaner that I use is Ccleaner, it is also free and it can restore your registry if you accidentally remove something you didn't want to remove. I also use Gamebooster, another freeware. It can defrag your game files without defragmenting your entire hard drive. It also shuts down non-essential software to make games run faster. It improved my fps on Wow from 17 to 63 fps.

But first let's get to the problem at hand. You can find your specs by right clicking on "Computer" or "My Computer" and selecting "Properties" from the rollout menu.
Some older software doesn't work well with newer service packs from Windows Update, I'm thinking this may be the problem.
system.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back