Help: Helmet Building

Status
Not open for further replies.

AyeitsMikko

Hi my name is Michael and I'm new to the 405th community and I'm pretty amazed at all the talent and art everyone has contributed to this site.

I just want to ask;

Which part of a Helmet do you usually would start working on first? The reason why I'm asking is because I've done past Pepakura projects (newbie) and find it hard to maintain it's symmetrical look.

I tend to begin in the visor area (front), then work my way around to complete all the sides. Then the bottom/chin area, and the top last. The numbering in the photo below gives a general guideline. This has worked well for me for 2 Mark VI helmets, but it does depend on the helmet itself.

Coloredhelmet.jpg

I pretty much do it the same way as Ben - I start from the top center and working my way backwards and down. Thus: crown -> back -> sides -> visor -> then bottom/neck

I started with the bottom front (what's 4 in Spitfire's picture above), then went around the sides to the back (2 and 3). Then I discovered that it was too small and trashed it.
The second time I started with 4 again, then built 2, then discovered that it was way too big and trashed that one, too.
The last time I went 4-2-3, then attached the center line of the top (the thing with the ridges) and the lower part of the brim directly to the helmet, built the two halves of the top separately and attached them. Last step were support struts, the visor wasn't necessary (didn't want to mould it, didn't need more support) so I skipped it entirely.

I go either way. But I find it easier if you start from the top of the helmet. It really doesn't matter where you start. If you glue the pieces correctly by lining up the numbers, the helmet will turn out fine. I've made more than 10 helmets out of pepakura - Master Chief, ODST, Recon, Hayabusa, Noble 6, Iron Man and most recently Carter. Besides the small size, I've never had any problems with any of the helmets.

I just want to say thank you all for your contributions and opinions :]. I'm going to try some of your advices and hope for the best.

Everyone has a different style, My suggestion is look at the model, and then decide what is the hardest part of the helmet and then work on that first, then work your way around to the easiest part last, but I'd recommend the collar area to be your last bit.

Haha I don't think you should do like me. I pick a random piece and build outwards from there. Maybe that's why my peps don't look so hot lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back