Help on uploading sketchup models.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tcgore678

Can someone help me upload a sketchup model I made and post a picture of the model? The model's done, and ill post the model once I figure out how. :/

...will it show an image of my model?

You can insert an image and a link to your file separately or you can use an image as a button to your file's shortcut. If you do the latter you might want to instruct users to click on the image to download the file. I've done this below as an example (the image will take you to youtube). Hit reply with quote to see the BB code behind it.

Nobulllogo002.png

And how do I do that..? I'm sorry.

The following assumes you use a PC and not a Mac. Macs are set up a bit differently.

1. Have your model-editor open and position your model how you'd like it to show in your image.
2. Press 'Alt' + 'Prnt Scrn' on your keyboard to take a screenshot of the window you have currently selected (which should be your model-editor).
3. Open Microsoft Paint or other image-editor and paste the screenshot into the editor.
4. With the image-editor you can crop the image so only the model is in the picture and then you can save it to be uploaded and then linked to in your thread.

Hope this helps. If you plan to make more models and share them with the community you should try to learn how to do this. Let us know if you have any other questions.

1. Have your model-editor open and position your model how you'd like it to show in your image.
2. Press 'Alt' + 'Prnt Scrn' on your keyboard to take a screenshot of the window you have currently selected (which should be your model-editor).
3. Open Microsoft Paint or other image-editor and paste the screenshot into the editor.
4. With the image-editor you can crop the image so only the model is in the picture and then you can save it to link to your thread.

Hope this helps. If you plan to make more models and share them with the community you should try to learn how to do this. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks! :D

Thanks for sharing your work.

Consequently, I just downloaded Google SketchUp (I've been meaning to check it out) and you can actually export a 2D image right from the program. If you go File -> Export -> 2D Graphic and select it to save as a JPEG it'll actually save you a step or so. Even so, the print screen and screenshot stuff is valuable to know for this and other applications...it's one of those skills that is handy to have in your back pocket.

Thanks for sharing your work.

Consequently, I just downloaded Google SketchUp (I've been meaning to check it out) and you can actually export a 2D image right from the program. If you go File -> Export -> 2D Graphic and select it to save as a JPEG it'll actually save you a step or so. Even so, the print screen and screenshot stuff is valuable to know for this any other applications...it comes in handy.

Ha. Sadly, I just noticed that too. IF you wouldn't mind, could you check out the file I made and tell me what you think?

...could you check out the file I made and tell me what you think?

It looks pretty solid...it vaguely reminds me of a phaser-rifle from Star Trek. It looks like the opening for the fingers around the handle is a bit small. It also looks like some of the planes intersect which you generally want to avoid, everything should meet at vertices or edges. And I think the grey and white colored faces mean some faces point in and some point out which you might want to fix (although I'm not sure how to do so in SketchUp).

What do you plan to do with the model? It doesn't look like SketchUp allows you to export into OBJ format which I think you'd need to open it into Pepakura Designer. You may want to check out the Blender modeling program (it's freeware off the web). rundown has a pretty good modeling basics thread (http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/23517-3D-Modeling-For-Pepakura-%28Basic-3D-Knowledge-Required%29) and it seems like the controls are similar to SketchUp. Might be worth checking out if you're interested in modeling. It's always good to be well versed in multiple programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back