Help please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike904

Hello everyone. Im new to the 405th and before I jump into the tutorials on plastering and fiberglassing helments and other armors pieces I decided to start small on pepakura. Creating armor and wepons. But before I can start can anyone help me out with my questions.

1. What do I use for the visor on the helmet? I dont know if you only use them for the plaster ones or not.

2. Also when done assembling the cardstock is there a specific coating or such that I add onto it to make it sturdy?

3. What would be the best way to paint the finished armor. Spray paint or another kind?

If someone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated so I can start making armor and moving onto more complicated creations. :cool

Hello everyone. Im new to the 405th and before I jump into the tutorials on plastering and fiberglassing helments and other armors pieces I decided to start small on pepakura. Creating armor and wepons. But before I can start can anyone help me out with my questions.

[...]

If someone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated so I can start making armor and moving onto more complicated creations. :cool
You should really read the tutorial stickies in the Pepakura and Cardboard Armor forum first before you get any further with your pep work. Start with the simple and basic before you leap into something more advanced.

1. What do I use for the visor on the helmet? I dont know if you only use them for the plaster ones or not.

2. Also when done assembling the cardstock is there a specific coating or such that I add onto it to make it sturdy?

3. What would be the best way to paint the finished armor. Spray paint or another kind?

I think what you're asking is more or less what you would have learned from the tutorials you have skipped.

1. You pep the visor and leave it where it is until the model is hard. Then you cut it out and insert a vacuformed visor or a motorcycle visor, depending on the model.

2. Resin.

3. Spray paint. But there are several kinds of that, too, and some people do brush on details and such stuff.

I didn't skip the tutorials and don't want you to think so. I'm not jumping into anything complicated until I can make pep armor perfectly. But I didn't see anything in what I read in the tutorials. I read over how to get pep, I found the files, read through how to print it, what materials I would need, and how to assemble it. But I wanted to make sure with the more experienced on what I missed. But thanks for telling me what I needed.

Well, not EVERYTHING is in one tutorial, you have to do some research it does take some time to find what you're looking for... Read the sticky "Noobs Reading List" I read that and everything it went to, helped out alot, but don't make whole threads for simple questions it further clutters a already cluttered forum....

You really should see the videos they will help you allot. I skipped them my first time thru and kicked myself for it. There is 1 series that will take you from pep to resin on a helmet that will tell ya allot.

you never make it perfectly or flawlessly... you can really only hope to make your first one have a similar resemblance..

Yeah I know. It won't be perfect. But I can't see the videos. Only if I go to youtube my computer has issues. But I looked through alot of the stickys and they are really helping.

I didn't skip the tutorials and don't want you to think so. I'm not jumping into anything complicated until I can make pep armor perfectly.

Oh, I see. Well, I would still suggest that you go through them all, even those that cover things you aren't going to do at all. You never know when you pick something up that might be helpful later. And to be succesful at pepping, you just have to know what the next step is. Using sticky tape, for example, is probably the most common mistake made by people who haven't read up on resin.

If you can look up Ben Streeper on youtube , he did a hole line of vids going from pep to finished helm. Also ther are a few other things you are going to need once you have your stuff all pepped out and ready to harden.

1. THE MOST IMPORTANT!!!!! A good quality respirator with filters for ORGANIC VAPORS. This is a must when working with resin and fiber glass.

2. Gloves the fiber glass can irritate the skin.

3. A lot of disposable brushes, I use the 1 inch chip brush from http://www.woodworkingparts.com/products/Chip{47}Glue-Paint-Brushes-1{47}2-inch-to-4-inch.html they are only 22 cents a brush.

If you have anymore questions or need help PM me and I'll give you a hand.

Thank you everyone. All this info is greatly appreciated. If I have any questions i'll be sure to PM you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back