Help! Repairing holes in my pepakura

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian5pig

I am pretty sure I am the only person dumb enough for this to happen.

I put too many bondo on my Iron Man helmet, so I decided to sand it down with a power tool. Problem is, I put to much pressure and it sanded all the way through the bondo, took away all the resin and paper, and now I have these holes in my project.
dsc06256z.jpg

dsc06252uz.jpg

You can see the fiberglass cloth right there.

Is there any way to fix this? Or should I start on making a new one?

Easy- Get you some tape ( probably painters tape/ the blue kind ) and put it on the outside... Simply add bondo/rondo on the inside

the bondo will be smooth because the tape will hold pressure..

-You want to add Rondo( "Rondo" is 1/5 plastic cup Fiberglass Resin mixed with 4/5 Bondo...add both hardeners..)
to the inside ....(TRY AND NOT ADD MUCH BONDO TO THE OUTSIDE)
Hope this helps :)

Easy- Get you some tape ( probably painters tape/ the blue kind ) and put it on the outside... Simply add bondo/rondo on the inside

the bondo will be smooth because the tape will hold pressure..

-You want to add Rondo( "Rondo" is 1/5 plastic cup Fiberglass Resin mixed with 4/5 Bondo...add both hardeners..)
to the inside ....(TRY AND NOT ADD MUCH BONDO TO THE OUTSIDE)
Hope this helps :)

Thank you!! I'll go try that now.

Yea- Depending on how big and how many holes you have... A layer of thin Rondo may be best to do inside the helmet.. if its not really bad and only in acouple places.. just add bondo... Make sure the tape is stuck on good =D

Get a mouse sander too... Iron man is very smooth and hand sanding is a PAIN xD

Best of luck mate -Nogood

How about putting a layer of fiberglass on the inside and then filling up the rest with bondo ?

Just an idea.

I agree with macattack, that fiberglass wasn't properly soaked. You have bigger problems than just the holes.. An important addage: less is more, especially when working with bondo. If you want to try and patch the thing as it stands. I'd FIRST put a healthy layer of resin all on the inside, making sure to fully soak every fiberglass strand inside of it. Fiberglass is useless unless it's totally soaked with resin. THEN you want to put painters tape fully over the hole. Make it water-tight and press the tape down hard so it seals to the bondo. Then slush rondo on the inside, making sure it all pools over the holes. Once it has started to heat up and is mostly dry, but still can be pushed, you peel off the tape and let the rondo have a good hour or two to dry.

But... if the fiberglass has been fully covered by bondo, but was never resined properly, you may want to start over, because it's no better than sticking a t-shirt inside the helmet if it's still strand-y like in the pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back