help scale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spartan1105

Jr Member
im about L-XL as my shirt size, my waist size is about 34-30
srry for postin this, but i dont have time to scale because i have a presentation of a project tomorro at school

Spartan1105 said:
im about L-XL as my shirt size, my waist size is about 34-30
srry for postin this, but i dont have time to scale because i have a presentation of a project tomorro at school

You really ought to learn how to scale them yourself instead of asking ppl to do it for you. It really only takes like 1-2 minutes of looking at the scaling thread to figure out an approx. scale.

You'll need to know how to scale it yourself for the rest of the pieces anyhow.

If you teach a spartan to fish...! (or something like that...)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a question for you. The original files that are posted in the FAQ have an original scale of 30.342 which as far as this forum is concerned is the 'real life' scale of Master Chief. However the files posted by Slyfo have an original scale of 19.157869, because of this the scaling thread doesn't really work (unless you know something that I don't). This difference has been bugging me since I started my armor. If you could help me out with the math on this or insight into what I am doing wrong much internet appreciation would be bestowed upon you. Any takers?

BDigital978 said:
I have a question for you. The original files that are posted in the FAQ have an original scale of 30.342 which as far as this forum is concerned is the 'real life' scale of Master Chief. However the files posted by Slyfo have an original scale of 19.157869, because of this the scaling thread doesn't really work (unless you know something that I don't). This difference has been bugging me since I started my armor. If you could help me out with the math on this or insight into what I am doing wrong much internet appreciation would be bestowed upon you. Any takers?
*best John O'Hurley voice*
SURVEY SAYS!!
Frizzlefry said:
Add up your height in inches. There is 12" to a foot. We'll use my hieght for the example. I am 5'11" which equals 71 inches.
Divide that by 86: 71/86 = .82558
Multiply that number times the scale it currently is, 30.342: 30.342*0.82558 = 25.04979
Now in Pepakura, go into 2dPatternWindow and select "Scale Up/Down by specifying value"
Under scale, put in the new scale (for this equazion its 25.04979). Do this for all of your pieces to be symmetrical.
One thing to keep in mind
The size of the scale that is in use before you edit it is from the base of the ground to the top outside of MC's helmet. You don't really want the top of your head to be touching the top of the inside of the helmet if you expect it to fit right. So you may want to add two or three inches to your actual hieght before doing the math. This may help other areas as well, where it could come through a bit tight.

The bold print was aded by me to show what you should do
Now matter what scale the files are listed as, always use the 30.342 as your base.
I added an inch to me (I'm 5'8", so I made it 5'9") and printed up the helm and it's coming out perfect so far. if anything, it'll be too small.

I hope this clarifies, if not......you're on our own, kid.

Hey guys, this is my very first message on 405th.

I'm currently looking forward to make a CQB helmet (the one made by Robogenesis) because I'm looking for detail. And i've problems with the scaling as well.. I've checked many posts but couldn't find a helping answer.

When I opend the "Specify the Scale" menu, by default there were written:

height: 320mm

width: 291mm

depth: 334mm

scale: 77.567737

BUT.... when I make the math of taking my height (175 centimeters) in inches (69 inches) and adding like 3 inches (72 inches), dividing it by 86 (= 0.83720) and multipling the result by 31.9, it gives me the scale of 26.70697. When I paste this value in "Specify the Size", it says that the size of the model will be:

height: 110mm

width: 100mm

depth: 115mm

scale: 26.70697!!!!!!!!

It means my helmet could HOLD IN MY HAND! which is not exactly the result I expect... So, HELP. PS: here are my body dimensions: 5'9" and 154lbs, so quite skinny.

Thanks for any help..

See you

Lt. Pikors said:
Hey guys, this is my very first message on 405th.

I'm currently looking forward to make a CQB helmet (the one made by Robogenesis) because I'm looking for detail. And i've problems with the scaling as well.. I've checked many posts but couldn't find a helping answer.

When I opend the "Specify the Scale" menu, by default there were written:

height: 320mm

width: 291mm

depth: 334mm

scale: 77.567737

BUT.... when I make the math of taking my height (175 centimeters) in inches (69 inches) and adding like 3 inches (72 inches), dividing it by 86 (= 0.83720) and multipling the result by 31.9, it gives me the scale of 26.70697. When I paste this value in "Specify the Size", it says that the size of the model will be:

height: 110mm

width: 100mm

depth: 115mm

scale: 26.70697!!!!!!!!

It means my helmet could HOLD IN MY HAND! which is not exactly the result I expect... So, HELP. PS: here are my body dimensions: 5'9" and 154lbs, so quite skinny.

Thanks for any help..

See you

Oh god it's a necro post. :eek

But you're not supposed to multiply 0.83 with 31.9, but multiply 0.83 with the original scale of 77.56.

That should give you the right scale.

S1l3nt V1p3r said:
Oh god it's a necro post. :eek

But you're not supposed to multiply 0.83 with 31.9, but multiply 0.83 with the original scale of 77.56.

That should give you the right scale.

Yeah ok thanks for the info but on what is that 77.56 scale based? Cause if I do the math you told me, the helmet will be:

Height: 265mm

Width: 242mm

Depth: 277mm

Scale: 64.374800

And if I take a ruler, it seems quite small for a combat helmet... I'm sorry to be so pointy but I want to understand what I do and as much as possible, I'd like to avoid spending time on a helmet that I won't be able to put on my head.. I guess you understand.

Cheers

If you can't get the method from the scaling sticky to work, try this:

1 - Take a ruler and measure your head.

2 - Print out an estimate of a couple of key pages (to save on paper and ink), just on normal printer paper.

3 - Cut out parts that will give you a good idea of overall size, hold them up to your head, see how they seem to fit.

4 - Rinse and repeat until it looks like you have the right scale.

Oh and I'll also say, forget inches. Pepakura measurements are all in metric, there's no reason to add an extra stage of confusion/inaccuracy by measuring yourself in inches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back