Help! - Strengthening folded peps

Status
Not open for further replies.

quick221

Hey 405th,
221 here, I'm planning to start an ODST build in two or three weeks (after my exams finish) and I was wondering if you guys had any tips. I'll give you all a run down of my plans:

I was going to build the chestplate and other associated pieces, shin-guards, shoulder pauldrons etc. (free-built back pieces unless you guys have hidden away peps for that) made with peps from the costuming wiki's database. Now, here's my problem: What should I do to strengthen the folded (and glued) pep?

Regards, 221

P.S. I need the suit around winter (summer in the nrth hemisphere) for the Armageddon Expo in the part of NZ I live in.

I believe there is only two choices... Polyester/epoxi resin or aqua resin.

im sure someone else will correct me if I'm wrong but iv not seen it done any other way

The first thing generally done to a pepakura model is to coat it with a thin layer of fiberglass resin - just resin, and just enough to soak into the cardstock. One layer is a start, but I understand that two or three gives more strength.

From there, people generally reinforce the interior with either fiberglass cloth or rondo (which is a mixture of resin and bondo, both items you'll have for this process).

I'm going with fiberglass, because I have some already, and because it's lighter, but I'm told it can be a little more frustrating (and I have matting instead of cloth, which doesn't help). Rondo is probably easier and cleaner, but it's a bit heavier, and if you mess up you might get some solid pools (which are either in your way, or will at least throw the weight balance off).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back