Help with Helm Scaling

Status
Not open for further replies.

poripori

Hi there,
Im finally made an account here over those long years and im now ready to do my first Halo Helm.
But my problem is, i dont know how to scale it, so that it fits to my head...
Im going to make the hayabusa helm
Ive read somewhere, i need to have a picture of the Person with the helm, then measure it.
Thats the best picture i have found so far:
j5hayabusasj
http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/1271/hayabusas.jpg
I hope someone could explain me this^^

greetz

Not entirely sure with Hayabusa, but typically the way to scale is to measure from your chin to the top of your head and add an inch or two.

So ok thx fot the Help and the nice tutorial that i will use in advance^^
So i measured now from my chin to my head to the top of my head.
Its about 22 cm. So i add 2 cm right? that makes 24cm= 240mm.
Do Hayabusas have so big heads? 320mm??

You have to watch with the helms, especially the Hayabusas if you look at the model it is a very tall helmet and the height measurement goes from the lowest point to the very top point of the helmet. I suggest using the width for helmets, with the right width the height will adjust it self. To measure the width tap a peace of paper to the wall head height. Stand with your back to the wall and place a pencil on your ear, mark the paper. repeat for the other ear. Measure the distance on the paper and add a couple of inches for padding. If you do this the height will be more than enough. i use this method for all my helms and and have only had one (the very first one I ever built) be to small for my head. works like a charm every time.

You have to watch with the helms, especially the Hayabusas if you look at the model it is a very tall helmet and the height measurement goes from the lowest point to the very top point of the helmet. I suggest using the width for helmets, with the right width the height will adjust it self. To measure the width tap a peace of paper to the wall head height. Stand with your back to the wall and place a pencil on your ear, mark the paper. repeat for the other ear. Measure the distance on the paper and add a couple of inches for padding. If you do this the height will be more than enough. i use this method for all my helms and and have only had one (the very first one I ever built) be to small for my head. works like a charm every time.

Ok ima trying your way. I already measured the distance between my ears like u said. Could 17 cm be possible? So i add about 2 cm = 19 cm= 190 mm to the width?

Greetz

Close I would bump the 17cm up to 19 and then add room for the padding. I'm looking at the Hayabusa helm now and the bottom is wide. That cuts into the amount on the width. Me personally I would build it at like 270mm or 280mm just to compensate for the width of the helm at the bottom. That should give you a good fit and a few inches on both sides for padding.

Close I would bump the 17cm up to 19 and then add room for the padding. I'm looking at the Hayabusa helm now and the bottom is wide. That cuts into the amount on the width. Me personally I would build it at like 270mm or 280mm just to compensate for the width of the helm at the bottom. That should give you a good fit and a few inches on both sides for padding.
Ok your last post confused me now a little bit. but 270 mm is by mine Helmet the standard width and 320mm the hight.
So just to be sure, i put the 190 mm to the width and then the hight is 222mm. Also when i print it, it says: The size of the paper specified by pepakura designer is not same as the printer settins. Adjust scale? I just press yes right?
And with 190 mm widht the helm wont be to small??
sry for beeing a troublemaker, but this is the very first time im gonna make a helmet, and i want to do it right

greetz

Sorry about that, no all the measurements I talked about are the width. When building these models you have to look at a couple of things.
1. The shape of the helmet you want to build the highest point to the lowest point determines the height. So like the busa helm it has that really high point on the back of the helmet(unless you are using the 2 peace file).The width is determined by the widest two points. So if the helm sticks out 2 inches on each side that's going to cut into your measurement for the width so you need to add more to your measurement to make it fit right.
2. Padding how much and what kind. If you plan to use say motorcycle padding then you need to figure out how thick that is so you can adjust you #'s. Some guys use the cheaper foam bedding and cut it to fit, that stuff is only like a inch thick so it's not hard to adjust the #s

Ok so you've measured your head and got 17 cm or ruffly 7 inches.(which is 180mm)
So now we look at the model, the sides of the helm stick out about am 1" to an 1 1/2" on the sides(we'll say 1")
So now you take the 7 and add 2"(1" for each side) and get 9"
Now we add the padding (say we use the bed roll) you add another 1" to each side giving you 11"
I always add 1/2" to each side just to be safe. Which adds another 1" bringing us up to 12"
Convert 12" to mm which gives you 304mm
Plug 304mm into the width measurement in pep designer. (height and depth will self adjust)
You will notice on the 2d side the peaces have moved so you need to rearrange them on the sheets so they will print properly (think of this as tetras) Also make sure the paper is layed out for portrait style (this is in the settings list under Print and paper settings. Look for Orientation and click Portrait) This was giving you the "The size of paper and the paper specified" pop up.
Try that and see how it goes. Leave a message her BEFORE you print( no point in wasting paper) and I'll check back to see how your doing. Let me know if you have any problems.

i just attepmted to size my head up for the busa helm and sadly i have a fat head and all the larger peaces are over flowing the paper... i am not sure what to do any one have any ideas?

Ah, the hayabusa helmet. In my opinion, probably the hardest helmet to make due to the spikes causing an increased size in width and height, thus making scaling a pain in the ***! XD

It took me THREE attempts to finally get the perfect sized hayabusa helmet. It IS a tricky helmet, but seeing as how I already have mine built, I may be able to help.

The file I have is a custom model done by ForgedReclaimer. He has another hayabusa helmet similar to mine in a pepakura file thread of his. The upper most part of the center spike is roughly 2 inches above the top of the head, so here is what you should do........

Measure from the bottom of your chin to the top of your head. Now add 3-4 inches to that measurement. This will help take into the account of the spikes on the hayabusa helmet and should leave you enough room for padding on the inside.

If you encounter the larger pieces starting to overlap pages, you will need to try and make the pieces fit and if they are still too big, you may need to print it out as is and cut the pieces out then tape them together to form a whole piece. Unless you can break the piece down into a smaller piece (also known as unfolding), you can make it so that the pieces no longer overlap multiple pages.

Hope that helps you out some. :) The hayabusa helmet is no joke. :p It's a pain to scale and just as much of a pain to pep! XD

well it took me 3 days and roughly 21ish hours but i got the busa helm done. was my first attempt at a helmet but i think it came out ok
IMG_20110509_221423.jpg
, it is slightly snug at the neck to get my fat head through but i think i will just cut a slight amount off the inner sides to fix that

You should post a pic with it on just so we can all see how well it fits. That way, youc an get some more advice about the scaling of the helmet or any pointers if need be. :)

I already see a couple dents here and there, but those shouldn't be too hard to fix. At least it's nothing major.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back