Help with molding materials for a Star wars helmet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mblackwell1002

Sr Member
Hi, guys

I'm making a Star Wars Rogue One shoretrooper helmet, and I needed to know some molding and casting materials. I 3D printed the helmet, but I need to mold and cast it for a stronger part

I'm currently leaning toward rebound-25, but I need to know the best materials for my uses, and the proper quantities.

I also need to know the best way to reinforce the mother mold.

thanks guys.

If you check out Bill Doran's youtube channel, he did a really good series on molding and casting props a while back.

I've actually been learning the same exact thing, except instead of helmets its a bunch of 3D printed Halo ships. i've been using Smooth-on 15 slow and 16 fast, which are both a 2-part silicone-rubber mix. it's REALLY easy to use (simple 50/50 mix) and is super durable and bendy! (i kinda documented my whole experience learning how to do it over Here )

As for the mother mold... well there's a lot of different answers. the most common way is to cast it in your rubber mold, then before opening it up and pulling the prop out, you make a plaster mold around it and chisel it in half (if its a 2-part mold) or extend your pour spout out of the plaster (if it's a 1 part mold). A cheaper and easier alternative that i did since my molds were so intricate was just cutting plywood. my rubber molds were all two-part, so they were flat on either side. then i just cut up some rubber inner tubes to use as crude pressure straps:
IMG_20161209_175254942.jpg
IMG_20161214_133335443.jpg

Hope this is a good start. Frosty's suggestion is also good. Bill Doran can answer bigger questions and do material comparisons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back