Help with new build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duggers

hello 405th!

I’m looking for some advice, I’m on a budget as I’m also on with a star wars build but I have a friend who builds halo helmets so I’m interesting in attempting a foam armour build to go with one of his helmets. I’ve always liked the Halo 4 master chief armour but have no idea where to start as it has allot of detail. Does anyone have any advice where to start? and any examples of finished products?

Thanks for any help

Paul

Well first off....welcome to the 405th. Before advise......lets first know what you are capable of doing.....Is this your first time working with foam? Are you going w/ templates or free-handing it? If templates, do you know about or have worked with pepakura? The first bit of advise that everyone will give you is: Read. Pure and simple. Read. Go through the threads and you will see a ton of examples of pieces finished and WIP (work in progress). Then head over to Youtube and check out Evil Ted and is foam smithing techniques. There are others....a lot even, I just can't remember their names off the top of my head. Look them up (whoever they are), and watch as many as you can find......then.....go back and READ some more. Start HERE. This is the most up to date comprehensive starters list brought to you by PerniciousDuke....thank you Duke!!!!!

I’ve never worked with foam or pepakura, most likely thinking of templates. I like tinkering and like to perfect things and always happy to take on a challenge! So I’m best to read and watch before making any decisions on a starting point?

oh yes.......best to know what you want to do first, and a basic idea of how to go about it second. Then as time goes on you gain exp on working with the chosen material, what ever that may be, and you just build.........best 2 pieces of advise I can give you:1) You are your own worst critic. Don't get discouraged if what you see physically isn't what you envision in your minds eye. Post pics and we'll trash it for you.....joking. But we will more often than not give you tips and tricks to help you get that picture out of your head and into reality. 2) Set yourself up as a marathon rather than a sprint racer. This is not something to speed through and come out w/ a great suit at the end. The more time you put in to it, the better the end result will be. Some people will take as much as 2 years or more to get a full suit. Don't be surprised if you start (a build threat to mark the time) and someone comes along later on and finishes before you do. Don't be surprised or discouraged (Key point here) because you think your build is standing still. It's all in your head. Just know that at some point, the build takes on a life of it own and pieces get finished before you realized it. Then you have a full suit and ready to be deployed. Last tip.......(Have to get back to work): Ask for help, but don't ask for someone to chose what to build for you. Only you can decide that. Otherwise you will not have an invested interest in what your building. You'll be building what someone else wants to see built.

Thanks allot of great help and tips there, I’ll have a good research. Watched some of the Angelegend videos and they seem very helpful. I might just get some foam and have a tinker making some of the smaller parts. I have all the equipment already to work with foam. Will I need a pc/laptop to work well with pepakura? I only have an iPad and wireless printer at the moment

Not sure if Pepakura will work on an iPad.......try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back