Help with visor

Status
Not open for further replies.

SofiJunkhead

Hi,

I'm building this helmet (it's doomguy in quake 3 arena, could be phobos or crash as well), )with opaline paper and resin. I still didn't apply the resin on it because I'm afraid about the size and the visor.

11377883_712681775509883_1736611434_n.jpg

I don't know which kind of material use for making up the visor, the model is too edgy and seems hard to glue the visor D: so far I don't wanna use something expensive like a motorcycle visor, but I want to ask you some suggestions about how to make a cheap polarized visor. I'm a bit afraid after resin, paint and the visor, the helmet could get a little bit to thight in my face xD

This is how it looks so far.

D927B6017.png F7F75350D.jpg F6FE85D82.jpg

I used this to do my visor and I recommend this as well. Car light tinted film and one side mirror - together about 5$, maybe 10$.
I use it for my Scout helmet, I'll use it for my future helmets like Helljumper (ODST).
You just need a visor form, so you can heat form it on.
While Scout helmet is long but short, it doesn't change anything - you'll be attaching the visor and securing it inside your helmet, so it will sit secure and won't deform (even if you glue little bit of foam or something else on the edges - it will secure it on itself and keep the shape even without the helmet).

Here is how it looks from inside, it's so dark but only because I have the hex material underneath otherwise with one-side mirror film it's a lot lighter as you can see on the video.
But just to see that it's pretty damn good vision, no distortion like with the vacuum-formed ones, very clear - I only have a tiny little distortion at the angles, because the Scout helmet is very different, but unlike with the vacuum-formed ones, you can literally read book while still wearing the helmet.
DSC01464.JPG
DSC01466.JPG

EDIT: OH FOUND IT! I've found that cracked visor, so just car light tinted film + one-side mirror foil.
As you can see, the visibility is quite good. Sorry, the camera doesn't want to focus too good inside the helmet. Also, it's the 'cracked' visor, but the visibility is really good.

DSC01467.JPG
DSC01470.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like you've gotten your answer! I was going to suggest Youtube, I've found some amazing visor tutorials for cheap methods!

It will take me some time to find a place in Australia to find that car light tinting but thanks to you Palmer, I have found something I had been looking for for my Spiderman costume. If there was a way to salute you in a written form I would do so. You have my thanks regardless.

It will take me some time to find a place in Australia to find that car light tinting but thanks to you Palmer, I have found something I had been looking for for my Spiderman costume. If there was a way to salute you in a written form I would do so. You have my thanks regardless.

Oh damn, I checked Australian eBay and indeed they all send from China and HongKong. That's so weird, because I live in a small country and I can still order them online locally...
No problem and you're welcome.
Good luck with your Spider-Man costume. :)

I also have a scout helmet that I made a visor for. I used PETG plastic (.6 thickness I think) that I got from amazon, I cut out the size that I needed and because I don't have a vacuum former, I just had my boyfriend help me hold the plastic inside of my helmet and put a heat gun to it. Then you can pick up some idye at joannes or some craft store and dye it whatever color you want. To keep it glued I just epoxyed it to the helmet.

Thought I'd share another method!

I experimented with it too. Didn't like the distortion it made when bent.
But, it's easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back