heroes workshop odst armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
the files look easy to do but the torso side file keeps crashing so anyone as another one i can use or ideas to fix the one i got

I use 10mm foam the majority of the time (including the foam parts of my ODST), but there's no reason why you can't use 8mm if that's what you have.

For my armor, I usually use 10mm foam for bigger pieces, and 5mm for smaller pieces. Let's use a Master Chief shin for example. I would use 10mm foam for the calve and knee area, because there is room, and 5mm foam for the ankle/shin area, because that's a tighter fit, and would require more space for a leg to fit into.

as anyone made the heroes workshop odst armor and do you have tips for me cause im thinking about making it for next year's Halloween party.
Mechace13 you have a lot of questions, and it's understandable. I have been there, was intimidated by the process, and had my doubts as to why do this. The last few years have been difficult on many people and frequently patience is limited. I don't know how old you are or for that matter how long you have tried to do armour. Take on a simple piece and start. Have fun. You will make errors and re-adjust: if you post pics of your efforts you will get creative and thoughtfull support from members. This is your armour and you can make it as simple or as hard, or as fantastic, as you want. In time, add-on, or start over, and make the armour to suit you - you cannot go wrong.

My ODST armour is complete, and used the Pepakura files mainly from Modeler Hugh Holder to whom I pass on my my most grateful thank you.
Made the pistol and smg borrowing files from many members. I cannot walk about town with the armour on or with weapons, or will be pulled over by the Blue Meanies. It's like fishing, you can read all about but until you get near a river or a lake you will never catch a fish. Hugh's files were great as most fit the first time with one minor exception; the chest piece. I'm a 44" chest and it required many attempts and a lot of reading to re-size, as I really didn't know how to proceed. It was a challenge. The most difficult piece was the visor. Remember, people don't fail, they just stop trying. I wore the armour last evening while freezing on the porch to hand out candy. At 6' tall and 190 lbs, with the armour on and when I don the helmet, cannot see where I'm going. However, it creates a tremor amongst observers.

Mechace13 just start. Members can and will guide you as you venture into the unnown: dont give up, just do it. BTW I'm 74 years young, a Veteran with over 30 years of military service and tours of duty in Europe with NATO and the Middle-East with the UN, you will excuse me if I don't post often. It is always exciting to view pics and read member's build stories. When I take the helmet off, I'm asked to put it back on.

Mechace13 you have a lot of questions, and it's understandable. I have been there, was intimidated by the process, and had my doubts as to why do this. The last few years have been difficult on many people and frequently patience is limited. I don't know how old you are or for that matter how long you have tried to do armour. Take on a simple piece and start. Have fun. You will make errors and re-adjust: if you post pics of your efforts you will get creative and thoughtfull support from members. This is your armour and you can make it as simple or as hard, or as fantastic, as you want. In time, add-on, or start over, and make the armour to suit you - you cannot go wrong.

My ODST armour is complete, and used the Pepakura files mainly from Modeler Hugh Holder to whom I pass on my my most grateful thank you.
Made the pistol and smg borrowing files from many members. I cannot walk about town with the armour on or with weapons, or will be pulled over by the Blue Meanies. It's like fishing, you can read all about but until you get near a river or a lake you will never catch a fish. Hugh's files were great as most fit the first time with one minor exception; the chest piece. I'm a 44" chest and it required many attempts and a lot of reading to re-size, as I really didn't know how to proceed. It was a challenge. The most difficult piece was the visor. Remember, people don't fail, they just stop trying. I wore the armour last evening while freezing on the porch to hand out candy. At 6' tall and 190 lbs, with the armour on and when I don the helmet, cannot see where I'm going. However, it creates a tremor amongst observers.

Mechace13 just start. Members can and will guide you as you venture into the unnown: dont give up, just do it. BTW I'm 74 years young, a Veteran with over 30 years of military service and tours of duty in Europe with NATO and the Middle-East with the UN, you will excuse me if I don't post often. It is always exciting to view pics and read member's build stories. When I take the helmet off, I'm asked to put it back on.
could you please send me a link to the files you used

Hi Mechace13,

To list all of the links would really be time consuming. My thanks to the 405th for their support. BTW, I automatically pass all files downloaded through security check, and have as yet found none contaminated. You can find all of the files you need at

www.4shared.com - and look for Halo_3_ODST_Database.

You will need create an account and log-in. The Pepakura files by Hugh Holder, and many more, are waiting for you, including the weapons. The files presented are the same as I used and downloaded from the 405th.

As an alternative, try Pepakura File Index.

Pick the ones that appeal to you. Keep it simple, then modify as you please. There be some fantastic models for printing by Kirou, Nightshade, and others, for you to preview. Remember sizing can be a problem. I was lucky with the files from Hugh Holder.

Presumably you have downloaded the Pepakura Designer and/or Pepakura Viewer; I believe you can still download the program for free -it may have limitations. Usually, the files open up in letter size (A4 or 8 1/2 X 11 inches). It is frequently difficult to view the actual size of the pieces even when dimensions are provided. I suggest you print on paper first, and if it fits, then do the card stock, and strengthen with Bondo or similar processes: used several (many) coats of paintable spray plastic inside and out and it is solid. There is a lifespan to everything. Make it look great - experiment. There is nothing like the satisfaction of finishing what you start. Real armour is not that cumbersome. Good luck and bon courage.

Some members remove the gluing tabs and cut in foam. Others, use a 3D printer. It will cost time, effort and money: how much depends on what you are willing to spend on yourself. And viewing pics from builders, I am amazed at their ingenuity and labour. Bravo Zulu.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back