Hey guys, new to here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like a good idea, I won't be able to get properly started until next year, so I should have plenty of time to actually get everything sorted out in terms of sizes by the time I start

Yeah, I've seen a few threads of people making undersuits, some of them look really good. You'll have to research a bit.

Honestly foam is way, WAY easier to work with than Pepakura, especially for beginners. It's also alot more apartment friendly (I know because I live in an apartment). A foam build can be done completely inside, the only time you're gonna need to be outside is when you plasti-dip & paint, you'll need space outside to work as you don't want to do that inside (trust me :p). Foam is also cheaper & alot more forgiving than foam when (not if) you mess up.

As you've already learned, Pepakura can be VERY confusing. It's also WAY more time consuming & you use alot of different chemicals that are hazardous indoors (Resin, fiberglass, bondo, etc.). Helmets are usually better with the pepakura method, but if you don't have the space outside, it might be better for you to try to buy a premade, resin cast helmet.

Amazon sells foam & pretty much anything else you're going to need that you can't find locally.

Good luck with your build!

Honestly foam is way, WAY easier to work with than Pepakura, especially for beginners. It's also alot more apartment friendly (I know because I live in an apartment). A foam build can be done completely inside, the only time you're gonna need to be outside is when you plasti-dip & paint, you'll need space outside to work as you don't want to do that inside (trust me :p). Foam is also cheaper & alot more forgiving than foam when (not if) you mess up.

As you've already learned, Pepakura can be VERY confusing. It's also WAY more time consuming & you use alot of different chemicals that are hazardous indoors (Resin, fiberglass, bondo, etc.). Helmets are usually better with the pepakura method, but if you don't have the space outside, it might be better for you to try to buy a premade, resin cast helmet.

Amazon sells foam & pretty much anything else you're going to need that you can't find locally.

Good luck with your build!

That is true, although my crafting skills suck a lot more than they do my gluing together skills (my Warhammer 40k collection is a testament to that very point!).

But I do get where you're coming from, and I've never been one to take the easier route which is pretty bad on my part I guess.

But thanks for the support dude!

Pepakura Is VERY confusing, as in...Where did that piece go? whoops, the piece ripped, or if you made the file, whoops repeated tab...foam is almost all freehand, but a lot easier then you think it is... foam is a beginner's choice... wished I listened to that...lol...

Pepakura Is VERY confusing, as in...Where did that piece go? whoops, the piece ripped, or if you made the file, whoops repeated tab...foam is almost all freehand, but a lot easier then you think it is... foam is a beginner's choice... wished I listened to that...lol...

Even if you're not a beginner, foam can be a good choice, and a cost-efficient one. It's not the best for spartan armor, but you can pull of some amazing looking marine or ODST suits with it.

See, I strongly disagree. I think saying 'foam is a beginners choice' is false. It's just a matter of preference as is the whole 'foam or pepakura' debate.
I started with Pepakura, didn't find it all that confusing, and got used to it very quickly. So perhaps I'm just biased.

Regardless, MrFlibble, I know you have certain limiting factors such as the lack of an outside area to work in, and will have to cut corners with the non-toxic resins and such. But I don't want you to be put off by people saying 'definitely use foam' if you don't want to. However, you'll have to go through the Pepakura steps and find the non-toxic alternatives for you, if you manage to, and find a way to solve all the issues to do with lack of outside space, I say go for it.

Foam is still a great way of making armour, but just please don't be put off by others. I hate that so much.

Edit: I just read combinestrider's reply and foam is indeed cost-efficient, so make sure to note that.

See, I strongly disagree. I think saying 'foam is a beginners choice' is false. It's just a matter of preference as is the whole 'foam or pepakura' debate.
I started with Pepakura, didn't find it all that confusing, and got used to it very quickly. So perhaps I'm just biased.

Regardless, MrFlibble, I know you have certain limiting factors such as the lack of an outside area to work in, and will have to cut corners with the non-toxic resins and such. But I don't want you to be put off by people saying 'definitely use foam' if you don't want to. However, you'll have to go through the Pepakura steps and find the non-toxic alternatives for you, if you manage to, and find a way to solve all the issues to do with lack of outside space, I say go for it.

Foam is still a great way of making armour, but just please don't be put off by others. I hate that so much.

Edit: I just read combinestrider's reply and foam is indeed cost-efficient, so make sure to note that.
well, "I mean to say that doing foam is easier, and I should have listened to Flying phil, cause now, I tried the bodysuit with foam, took less then 5 hours... "Thats what I mean

I was thinking about getting a cheap fan, all the places I would be building from are right next to a window so I think I could manage in the end, plus there is actually a small area in the parking lot that's not used for anything that I could use if things get too bad.

- - - Updated - - -

well, "I mean to say that doing foam is easier, and I should have listened to Flying phil, cause now, I tried the bodysuit with foam, took less then 5 hours... "Thats what I mean

ah that makes it a lot more convincing with the time saving haha! I'm a detail man myself so I think Pepakura may win out due to that though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back