Hey there guys couple questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

phnix5888

Hey there guys I'm getting ready to get started on my bills and I just wanted to ask a couple questions first. First off how much foam does it take in general to make a full suit? I will most likely be buying packs of harbor freight floor mats. Second does anyone still use pressure suits for under suits on their armor and if so what is a good affordable option? All opinions are welcome thanks guys!!

Hey there, I too get the packs from Harbor Freight and I find it takes about 2-3 packs to build a suit depending on which suit from which game you're building. I primarily build Halo 3 and Reach suits, but a Halo 4 or 5 may run you more foam do to the thrusters on the back and overall more bulkiness of those suits. If you're patient enough too, Harbor Freight sometimes have sales on their foam for $7 per pack so it can save you a few bucks.
As for the undersuit question, I don't know. I usually get motorcycle riding "armor" for my undersuits because it's cheap and readily available online.

The armor is basically what I'm referring to a pressure suit is just a little bulkier and the hard plastic plates tend to have slots that are very convenient for running your straping through. That's good to know that I'll come in under $30 I'm base materials I'm on hf's mailing list so I always have coupons lying around lol.

Hey there guys I'm getting ready to get started on my bills and I just wanted to ask a couple questions first. First off how much foam does it take in general to make a full suit? I will most likely be buying packs of harbor freight floor mats. Second does anyone still use pressure suits for under suits on their armor and if so what is a good affordable option? All opinions are welcome thanks guys!!

The amount of foam is really dependant on the generation and armour variant that you're choosing as well as your height/build. Like Benton188 said, the H5 armour has larger power plants and overall higher poly count which burns through foam quickly.

My Reach build that didn't include a foam helmet or props but took ~15 of the 2'x2' floor mats for my 5'9" 170lb self.

Pressure suits could be a good thing? I don't know man. I just sewed my own,

Right I fully intend on buying much more than I think I'll need because mistakes are a thing and you have to have weapons to go with your armor. And if I could get a good pattern for and undersuit I'm just not confident enough in my abilities to try producing my own pattern yet thus the searching out ready made options.

Right I fully intend on buying much more than I think I'll need because mistakes are a thing and you have to have weapons to go with your armor. And if I could get a good pattern for and undersuit I'm just not confident enough in my abilities to try producing my own pattern yet thus the searching out ready made options.

Duct tape mummy is the answer to all your patterning needs. If you're good with a sharpie and making notes then everything will work out awesome, pictures of yourself all marked up is a bonus. Just don't do the dumb thing I did and serge the shoulder to the wrong spot on both sides. Registration marks are super important and save undoing stitching when you're already tired.

You could I suppose but it will be awkward unless you take it apart for things like the sleeves. But you should be okay if you're just adding detail to the torso to leave it as is.

Yeah I'm really only concerned about having the details where the undersuit is exposed... Planning a mark vi with the rogue helmet so mostly the abdomen elbows lower back and knees. I mention the under armor because I want to make sure and use a fabric that I won't melt in and is like too have separate pants and top for ease of restroom access

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back