Hey, well new...and worried to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FoxofShadows193

Hey, I am quite new here, as I have never made anything since well...ever. I am not exactly sure how to go about this. My plan was to make a somewhat custom painted design of either an ODST or a Pilot to mix both mlp and said fandom for bronycon. Thankfully having a solid 7 months helps, but I don't know how to go about even after reading it all.I would choose foam, as I am far too poor to run the card stock idea. Though I also would hope it to be detailed.

Greetings and welcome to the 405th. Being nervous or even scared of starting your first full suit build is always a daunting endeavor. As it seems that you have done some reading already that is the best first step you can take. Do some more reading and watch some YouTube vids. Punished Props and EvilTed have some really good vids full of tips and lists of materials plus tools they they use.
Spacemeat has a full vid series on his Air Assault build and AndrewDFT has templates + tutorials (free/paid) of a simplified version of ODST armour and halo related weapons.
Check out the Armoury here as well for templates (free) of what you will be building as well.
There are plenty of ODST build threads that you can reference as well.
Be sure to start a build thread here to post your progress and ask for any help if needed. All of us here are willing to help or answer any questions you may have.
Good luck.

Greetings and welcome to the 405th. Being nervous or even scared of starting your first full suit build is always a daunting endeavor. As it seems that you have done some reading already that is the best first step you can take. Do some more reading and watch some YouTube vids. Punished Props and EvilTed have some really good vids full of tips and lists of materials plus tools they they use.
Spacemeat has a full vid series on his Air Assault build and AndrewDFT has templates + tutorials (free/paid) of a simplified version of ODST armour and halo related weapons.
Check out the Armoury here as well for templates (free) of what you will be building as well.
There are plenty of ODST build threads that you can reference as well.
Be sure to start a build thread here to post your progress and ask for any help if needed. All of us here are willing to help or answer any questions you may have.
Good luck.

Look at this guy, so humble he didn't even mention his own ODST build thread. PaiganBoi is my go to source of information when it comes to building a high detail ODST from the Armory files. Seriously check out his thread.

Foam builds are definitely a great way to keep costs down since all you really need for tools is a few basic things that are all likely under $50 and will be on sale for the next little bit at hardware stores because of Boxing Day.
If ever you have any questions, Fireteam Off the Rails is never too far away so feel free to send messages or tag someone if you're stuck on something. Dirtdives loves an excuse to be helpful and sassy.

Look at this guy, so humble he didn't even mention his own ODST build thread. PaiganBoi is my go to source of information when it comes to building a high detail ODST from the Armory files. Seriously check out his thread.

Foam builds are definitely a great way to keep costs down since all you really need for tools is a few basic things that are all likely under $50 and will be on sale for the next little bit at hardware stores because of Boxing Day.
If ever you have any questions, Fireteam Off the Rails is never too far away so feel free to send messages or tag someone if you're stuck on something. Dirtdives loves an excuse to be helpful and sassy.

Huh, noted. Though, umm heh if I may ask well you or Paigan. Which files am I looking for exactly? I see a ton of .obj files and the sorts. Is that what I am going for? Which ones are for foam, 3d etc?

Also well I popped open the ODST files, and the helmet has pieces that are off the page thing. I don't understand what to do with this. Sorry if I am already wasting everyone's time.

Also well I popped open the ODST files, and the helmet has pieces that are off the page thing. I don't understand what to do with this. Sorry if I am already wasting everyone's time.

If you opened up the foam file the pieces that are off the page may be ones that are not used due to the thickness of foam or are mirrored across the two sides. I'd double check that all the pieces that are on the page are the ones needed to make a continuous shape by comparing pieces to the overall shape because sometimes there are errors in unfolding.

There's no need to worry about wasting time, people on here are very helpful and want to help new builders succeed!

Oh, well I suppose that makes sense. Though one thing, how accurate is the ODST when it comes out? I have seen some like Paigan who did a pretty awesome job, while some have this sort of weird look in the front view. These are just with the helmets, but I am wondering if it's the file as such do you need to tweak it or?

Hey FoxofShadows193, welcome top the 405th!!! Time is what we make here for just about everyone so don't think twice about it. And yes I love to be helpful.........."Sassy"..... I leave that to TurboCharizard. Sarcastic...yes...."sassy"......hasn't crossed the American/Canadian border yet. 7 months is a decent amount of time to complete a full foam ODST suit. I would suggest the smaller parts first just to become accustomed to cutting, gluing and shaping foam. I found that the first few pieces I did were not as clean or well defined as pieces done afterwards......and even went back and redid some of them. Definitely listen to what PaiganBoi and TurboCharizard say regarding your build. Take your time.....consider this as a marathon rather than a sprint. If you do a rush job....it will show.

TurboCharizard is just trying to get me back to the fold here (Pun intended) .......

Oh well that's actually a good thing to hear. Just one thing, would it be possible to say cut the bigger parts as a whole, heat form, and cut the details as wholes as well, and just place them onto the bigger parts? I thought of this approach to say eliminate some time, as well as adding in less of a need for seam cleanup? I am not sure though, since the ODST is really just the helmet (which I may 3d print), the chest being the flask jacket part with the secondary parts and details (can just cut those out and stick them on with contact cement), and the back part which is one piece. Then the shoulders and arms pieces are wholes, I just need to cut the main form, shape, and use my knife to set in the detailing, and the same for the shins and such. I have a grey undersuit (aka a long T-shirt and pants with some socks, and a sort of mask deal to work for the neck seal). With that, it's mostly just contact cement, and pasti-dip, and hardly if any seam cleanup. Could this work well? A seasoned builders insight could help.

What you are describing is an advanced form of foamsmithing and something you are really not ready for. You need to do under cuts and relieve cuts at specific point and lengths, then “fold” and glue everything into place and if you are off by just a little..... everything will be lopsided. I do not advise this for a novice. I as for the chest piece just being a “flack” jacket.....way wrong. Everything you are describing is a bit simplistic in idea, but once you put blade to foam, you are going to see a world of difference. And “hardly if any seam clean up”? Again you will be in for a surprise as everyone has to deal with seam cleaning. It’s the nature of the game. And cleaning for the seams doesn’t only refer to leftover glue. Gaps, misalignments, mistakes, overlapping or underlapping pieces, etc, etc etc..... stuff that you didn’t know that you didn’t know!
Not trying to scare you off. I’m just trying to prepare you for something I don’t think you know enough about to simplify your build to the way you’re describing.

Really? I don't see it as that difficult. For example say something as the knees, cut either a square of three sides or say a circle with two squares on either sides, if a cut the part to round it out, heat it up, and fold into place. Really each piece seems to be of one large part with smaller parts intersecting. It looks like a basic problem solving or maths ideal really to pick the right shape. It just doesn't seem as advanced as you make it out to be. Also in terms of cuts well in reality it's only on places that need a turned edge to be part of it. I don't know, I may sketch the ideas I'm getting based on the templates and post it here for insight on what you all think.

I dont thi k it would be to hard to do as long as you have a ruler, and a steady hand with a clean even bevel. You can also just cut it I to sections how the templates want and glue those into the shape. The best way to do things is fry it, and do different methods and takes on it, then learn from the experiance. :)

Well, heh sorry for the lack of anything thus far guys. Just...life has caught up to me, and well even looking over the templates it just looks like a nigh impossible task. Honestly, it just looks like talented guys can make this stuff.

Talent?! Pfft...Naw not really, just A LOT of patience. I mean it that too, so much patience that it makes it seem like life is speeding past at a million miles an hour and your build just sits waiting and staring at you. Don't sweat it if it's not going very well at first and it may seem overwhelming but that's why we help and support everyone that asks, like you!!:):):)
So don't give up just yet, think about it and maybe just put a little part together. And before you know it, after a few mistakes, you will find it wasn't as hard as you thought it would be.
Good luck, take a deep breathe and think about it. Heck it might even take over a year but it's well worth every minute!!

Talent?! Pfft...Naw not really, just A LOT of patience. I mean it that too, so much patience that it makes it seem like life is speeding past at a million miles an hour and your build just sits waiting and staring at you. Don't sweat it if it's not going very well at first and it may seem overwhelming but that's why we help and support everyone that asks, like you!!:):):)
So don't give up just yet, think about it and maybe just put a little part together. And before you know it, after a few mistakes, you will find it wasn't as hard as you thought it would be.
Good luck, take a deep breathe and think about it. Heck it might even take over a year but it's well worth every minute!!

Hey FoxofShadows193. Badkitty is 100% correct. Don't look at everyone eases suit and say "I can't do that..." You can. You just don't know it yet. Do you think everyone here built their suits instantaneously? No. It takes time. After a while, you've gained some experience and then you'll see the build just seems to take off. Then before you know it, your suit is finished. Take it 1 piece at a time. Think of this as a marathon as a posed to a sprint race. Take your time and don't rush. It will show in your work. Also as Badkitty said, we are here to help and support people. And you're one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back