Hi! I'm looking for constructive criticism on my Halo reach nerf ar

Status
Not open for further replies.

hijacking asian

Name: Aaron Massengill
Profession: Full time college
Favorite Hobby: Listening to electronic dance music, pushups, cars, apple video games.
Favorite part of halo: Trilogy
Favorite Halo: 3
Favorite Video Game: Halo or Minecraft
Other Interests: Nerf
Favorite Food: Steak

Here's the gun, I've been working on it on and off for months, its shoots and has a functioning flashlight, it could use some work on the paint job and smoothing though, thanks for taking a look :D.https://www.dropbox.com/sc/yx4b3nj7pmaidl3/CAK3-FUFWo/2https://www.dropbox.com/sc/yx4b3nj7pmaidl3/VeXfUjle-v/1https://www.dropbox.com/sc/yx4b3nj7pmaidl3/tQCBiiekHy/0sorry if i linked them wrong im new here

Hey there! You've got a really great start here, for a nerf conversion it's pretty impressive.

Before I can make a specific suggestion, I need to know what your build material is.
The front end looks just a bit smaller than the rest of the gun, sorta throws off the perspective a little bit. Otherwise the shape and size are pretty good so far.

I'm going to make the assumption that may be incorrect, that you're using some kind of either plastic or polyester-based resin on paper for the build, right? If it's fairly solid, you could smooth all of the surfaces out really nice with a little bit of application and sanding with some automotive glazing putty. There are some better ways to go out there, but they can be a little bit more expensive.
If you fill the voids and bumps with some putty, then sand it all smooth and repaint it, it'll look like a million bucks.

As The Goblin pointed out, there is some room for improvement on the paint. The front end in particular looks like it was a bit rushed. Not being able to inspect the piece in person I couldn't say whether it's the paint or the underlying work, but whichever it is, it needs to be smoothed. A good tip if it is the paint is to take it slow. It's far better to do several light coats than one or two heavy coats. you'll get the same coverage in the end, and with lighter coats you'll reduce or even eliminate the risk of bubbles, drips, and runs in the paint job, all of which can make a paint job look very sloppy. Even a pro painter can do an amatuer paint job if they don't take their time and build up the color gradually, and if they don't take their time in the painting they'll just have to spend more time trying to carefully sand and smooth those imperfections out later while trying to avoid sanding down too much and exposing the underlying layer, which could turn into an ongoing game of sand it down, paint it back, back and forth until they get it right. Much easier just to do light coats from the get go. If you're using a spray can (or other airborne panting method) be sure to use even strokes, keeping the applicator at the same distance the whole way, and go from one end of where you're painting to the other, starting from just before and stopping a little passed the work area so the paint is applied evenly, then move up (or down) and do the next line with a slight overlap. Basically you're going to move your arm like a printer and apply the paint one line at a time, with a 30-50% overlap. Let the first coat dry completely before doing a second coat, even if the first coat doesn't look like it's covered enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back