Hi!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nemesis96

Hey everyone, I joined a while ago, but now that I'm on summer holiday I really wanna try and get down to making my first helmet!! I love seeing everyone's armors and helmets and props, it's so damn awesome!!

Are there any meetups happening in the UK in the near future? I have never been to an event with Spartans and would love to go see.

Also, I need some advice though with getting started - I roughly know the process, having read guides on Instructables etc.

So, I want to build the Hellcat Helmet from Halo 5:
latest?cb=20151010053320.png

And I want to do it in EVA foam, but I will do a trial in paper first to make sure I have the right fit and so on. I am still in the planning stage, working out how to go about this.

First of all, my head is approximately 25cm tall, how much should I add to that for the model size? As the original model is like 2cm tall hahaha

My main problem is that, I downloaded the .OBJ model from here, and opened it in Pepakura, fine. But when I unfold it, there are a LOT of folds and cuts, like really tiny ones that I feel are unnecessary? I know you can rejoin pieces manually in Pepakura, which fixes some of the issues, but there are still small loose pieces, and incredibly thin strips in other parts.
My other problem is that some of the parts go over like 7 A4 pages... Now I could probably get around this by printing wide format at university, or printing A3. Or, should I try and split that down with the edge tool thing?

Thanks

What you really want to do is simplify the paper unfold as much as you can. It makes the assembly process 10x easier and won't be as frustrating. Check out some of our other paper unfolded models to get an idea of how to go about dividing edges. Unfolding is not the best part, so once you get that done, the rest will be relatively smooth going, except for cutting the paper pieces out.

What I would actually suggest doing is assembling the paper model, then "dissecting" the paper helmet to make templates for foam. Be sure (when dissecting) to trash the very tiny pieces, because those tiny thin pieces will be useless with foam. I've done this before and it works amazing. That is my suggested method.

However, when you're assembling a foam prop, it is best to start on armor first. Helmets are a pain in the butt for those who have little to no experience, and can lead to a disappointing venture into the foam realm. Helmets are even hard for experienced builders! I would suggest making a shoulder plate or something simple to get the hang of the process, like beveling your cuts, detailing, etc. Afterwards, you'll get the hang of the process a lot better.

you could also do a raw foam unfold, they work pretty well too. If you would like, I could unfold one for you.

Welcome, and good luck!

What you really want to do is simplify the paper unfold as much as you can. It makes the assembly process 10x easier and won't be as frustrating. Check out some of our other paper unfolded models to get an idea of how to go about dividing edges. Unfolding is not the best part, so once you get that done, the rest will be relatively smooth going, except for cutting the paper pieces out.

What I would actually suggest doing is assembling the paper model, then "dissecting" the paper helmet to make templates for foam. Be sure (when dissecting) to trash the very tiny pieces, because those tiny thin pieces will be useless with foam. I've done this before and it works amazing. That is my suggested method.

However, when you're assembling a foam prop, it is best to start on armor first. Helmets are a pain in the butt for those who have little to no experience, and can lead to a disappointing venture into the foam realm. Helmets are even hard for experienced builders! I would suggest making a shoulder plate or something simple to get the hang of the process, like beveling your cuts, detailing, etc. Afterwards, you'll get the hang of the process a lot better.

you could also do a raw foam unfold, they work pretty well too. If you would like, I could unfold one for you.

Welcome, and good luck!
Thank you!

Mhm yeah I was thinking to create the paper one and use that as the basis for the foam one if all goes well haha. Dissecting it like you say will really help me understand how the foam can fit in 3D.

And hmmmm yeah maybe I ought to start with a shoulder pad or something less... fitted? lol. Gotta start somewhere!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back