Status
Not open for further replies.

RandomRanger

DMO, Armory, and Forum Support
Division Staff
Community Staff
Member DIN
S063
One thing I don't see mentioned a lot on here is foam density. Does anyone know what the advantages and disadvantages are of using low/high density foam? My guess is I'll have to do less work to seal a high density foam but I'm not sure if that's true or if it's worth the additional costs. Also, High density is only available in 8mm small sheets as opposed to low density being available in multiple sizes and large sheets. I order my foam off of TNT cosplay for those who are interested.

The high density foam I'm looking at is $2.5 / sq.ft. and the low density is $1.6 / sq.ft. In total I need about 100sqft for both costumes (new Halo, and a Skyrim build I've not yet mentioned).

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
Well, I guess it ends up not mattering. If I did EVA 60 it would simply be too expensive for me. I'll have to do EVA 38

I have used similar products. Thigh high density is much stiffer. It takes a lot more heat to form.

I have used similar products. Thigh high density is much stiffer. It takes a lot more heat to form.
That actually sounds like something I don't want then, given everything I'm doing is very curvy. Thanks for the info!

Cosplayers like to use the higher density foams for the stiffness. Depending on the prop, they don't have to use any internal support to prevent the prop from flopping around. Also with a stiffer foam instead of using let's say 10mm, they can get away with using 5mm foam and not have the armour look so bulky.
It's also good for sculpting shapes with a rotary tool or burning tool. With puzzle mat foam you melt away too much if not carfeful or grind away too much material withe a dremel.

What PaiganBoi said. A lot of cosplayers are playing with SkSprops's foam recently and it's apparently dense enough to be turned on a lathe. Try doing that with floor mats! (Read: don't do that with floor mats). So if you watch their videos and listen to them talk about the HD foam vs other foams, they mention density a bit.

You can probably tell the difference yourself having used TnT foam vs floor mats and how one works differently vs the other. TnT seems to cut better (unless I just heat seal the floor mat prior but I usually forget that).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back