Hinging Pep Or Moulded Parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Privateer

I was ask to better explain the method I used to hinge my shin armor and how I plan to hinge the forearm and chest.

So here we go into the dark depths of armourcrafting. In my mind a part thats supposed to fit like a second skin should be tailored to the proportions of the body wearing it. That being said it's obvious we dont have the tech, materials, or equipment to build armour to that degree of fit and comfort and by all accounts we have tried prettymuch everything readily available to get close.
When I started my set of Recon I was scaling things to fit my frame with no worries on how I was supposed to get into it lol. I soon found out that would be a big issue ecspecially with parts like the shins forearms and boots. So instead of chopping and hacking my armour to bits trying to get my big hoof through the lower leg or shin I decided to try and hinge it instead.

Now being the pack rat I am I had a few sections of stainless piano hinge laying around the shop. I started with my resined and glassed shins.

097.jpg

After some carefull layout on a spare size tester I laid out my cuts for the opening and cut out a slot for the barrel of the hinge to fit snugly into only cut the hinge area at this time RED ARROW. (a hinge has a flat side and a pin or barrel side) I bolted my hinge with the barrel towards the inside. This will limit the swing of the 2 sections but not enuf to worry about and it will make your hinge less noticable. mark out your holes for the hinge, then drill and bolt the hinge in place with countersunk screws again this gives it a lower profile.

shintut1.jpg

Once you have the hinge bolted in place you can finish the cuts you laid out on your piece. RED LINE

shintut2.jpg

Now for the side opposite the hinge I used opposing tabs with velcro as lineup tabs and the velcro keeps it closed.
glue a popsicle stick to the inside of one half where there is a long flat surface and let it overhang half its width. Then I gresined and glassed it to add strength.

P3280001.jpg

P3280002.jpg

After you bondo and paint you can barely see the seam.

P3280004.jpg

I hope this helps some of our members out a bit Ill try to add to it as my armour progresses.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
make shure you use the industrial velcro you can get a roll 2" wide and at least 4' long at Home Depot for under $10 it has better adhesive on it than the standard variety.

Cheers!

The only issue I can see would be the Velcro wearing out over time and it starts to come apart while wearing. Easily fixed by replacing the Velcro, though.

Might try this myself, using my original Mk V shin (which I still have, only piece of my original armor that made it) as a tester.

Great tutorial, should get stickied.

Great tut! Lots of armor builders for SCA armor use a similar style of joint for actual combat armor. (y) +1 for stickification.

I first want to say I am not that fat guy in a storm trooper outfit! However, for those of us that have big areas... fore arms, calves, etc... this is an awesome tut! I've posted your tut in many threads when the question arises as to fitting proper length but tight fit. The only other option in my opinion to making the mounting of armor easier is to make all "wrap around" pieces like the ODST greaves: 2 pieces.

Hinge and velcro! Genius!

Well thanks! Ill be updating this with a forearm tut as soon as I get the second one resined. Im trying a new method instead of fiberglassing the inside of the long pieces Im using smoothcast resin.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back