Hobbit Battle Axes: Grasper and Keeper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lasrig

Let me start by saying DO NOT try this at home! I am not liable for any injury that you do to yourself or others. With that out of the way, let's begin.

Hello everyone that is a fan of the hobbit movies! I am undertaking the long process of taking a movie weapon and casting it in real metal. Weta workshop sells a resin versions of these axes already painted for a low price of $400. Unfortunately, I have no money, so I started trying to find materials that could be bought for cheap. Foam and PVC seemed like the cheapest materials, but they would probably fall apart after light con use. I am also a mediocre weapon smith, and have been wanting some form of handmade duel wield tomahawks since I started making weapons! This led me to the conclusion that I should make them out of metal! They will probably get me arrested if I go walking around town but metal is just too tempting to not do it.

WE SHALL BEGIN

First things first I have to get a shape, I can just free hand it, but I am a perfectionist and would like a real 1:1 scale prop. I tried taking a photo from the internet, making a stencil using sumo paint, and printing it to size. Unfortunately I figured out that the picture I used was not to scale.:(
DwalinAxe2.jpg
I am going to try to use some of the weta pictures to get the correct shape. I also sent an email to someone who did an unboxing video of the weta props. I will post another update whenever I get a good diagram so stay tuned!

- - - Updated - - -

I will be using this as a pic Gallery later.

I say if you have the resources, the know how, and the ambition to go for it, then do it. Although, I'm pretty sure the convention staffers will not allow you to bring said metal weapons into the con. They will make some great wall decorations though :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back