Homeschoolers

Status
Not open for further replies.
PhantomSG13 said:
I was home schooled from kindergarten till I graduated and I would have it no other way, home schooling was by far the best thing that my parents could have ever done for me and my siblings in my opinion. I absolutely loved sleeping in, getting to play outside whenever I wanted, not have to get out of your pajamas all day long, as far as the kids point of view goes it is amazing. As far as the education goes, at least here in Texas any home school is counted as a private school because there are no regulations on what private schools have to teach. So, when I was done with all of my home schooling I walked away with a HS diploma just as anyone else who went to public or private school in Texas would (I know this isn't the same for every state). I got into college without any problems at all, I finished with honors and I am starting med school here in the fall. My younger brother, who was also home schooled, had the same experience and started his freshman year at Rice in Houston and is doing great.

I never lacked for social events because I was in YMCA soccer, did horse back riding lessons and competitions, etc. And i will also say this, my schooling was very basic, we did Math Reading and Writing. Very little of anything else in a structured sense. All of my liberal education came from the discovery channel, museums, trips to the zoo, etc. One of the things I learned right off the bat, is that when I went to college all I had to be able to do was know how to learn. Until I got into my senior classes, I never had to use anything that wasn't taught to be that semester, it was just regurgitation so long as I knew how to absorb what I read, write it down in a concise manor, and know the math to solve the problems on the board.

My wife went to an amazingly good public school where she was born in Mi, but had to finish her senior year in another school and hated it with a passion. When our first little rug rats come along we are in total agreement being from two different ends of the spectrum, we are home schooling our kiddos no doubt about it.

More than anything else though, one of the things I was happiest about in being home schooled is that, schooling at home you learn and love to learn. In all of my friends and observations about High School, you learn to fit in to a specific demographic and to give into the masses. (I know I have a slanted opinion and not trying to offend anyone, just the way I see it. Doesn't make it true, just what I observe.)

Wow, great story! It's nice to hear some like yours. I too hope to home school my kids, as long as my future wife okays it!

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife went to an amazingly good public school where she was born in Mi, but had to finish her senior year in another school and hated it with a passion. When our first little rug rats come along we are in total agreement being from two different ends of the spectrum, we are home schooling our kiddos no doubt about it.

I am too from Michigan. The private schools in the Muskegon Region are phonomenal. But in metro detroit(trust me its not hood at all, we have the # 3 mall in the world) the public schools are great. We have many Hopkins grads in my subdivision and a few harvard alumni. Its great.

I started homeschooling for my final year. Here in BC Canada, the government gives any full time (4 or more home school courses) a $600 subsidy in Oct, then another in Feb. The first one I bought a laptop with and this next one I'm buying a new camcorder for my Film & TV class.

I'm homeschooled. I'm going through some GED practice tests and such and hopefully I'll take it soon. Once I get my GED and my drivers license I might start looking for a job. =P

I wish I could be homeschooled, hate going to an acctual high school because it is basically populated by crackheads and gang members. And it is extremly hard to concentrate because of the never-ending noise. Sorry, just needed to rant :p

I'm Homeschooled and I love it, I am in homeschool group, I'm able to do sculpting, charcoal, chalking, water-painting, oilpainting, radio-drama! And that is from four school years. I recommend being homeschooled because the parents gets to become more involved in their childs life. I've been doing it since I was in second grade, and now I'm in tenth grade.

I'm homeschooled
best thing i've ever done
been doin it for about 4-5 years and i'm a junior, taking college classes at my community college
:D lovin it every day

Tater Mane said:
Does the parent have to have any teaching experience to homeschool a child?
nope
my mom has no teaching experience (look at my above post)

Overlord_Ian said:
I wish I could be homeschooled, hate going to an acctual high school because it is basically populated by crackheads and gang members. And it is extremly hard to concentrate because of the never-ending noise. Sorry, just needed to rant :p
that's why i left! lol

I'm homeschooled. It's not bad at all. I have a social life, and I got a 96th or 97th percentile (can't remember which, lol) on my PSAT. I've recently started taking CLEP tests at a local community college for combined college and high school credit. That way I can concentrate on US History 1 for a month, take the test, and never look back. I competed in a homeschool speech and debate league for 4 years and absolutely loved it. I'm thinking of going back again next year (only reason I might not is because I'll be a Senior.)

So yeah, that's me...

Home schooled my senior year, they let all the freshmen fill a class I needed to graduate and absolutely refused to let me join the class I needed to graduate. So I joined Gateway Christian Academy home school and had to submit a 150 word paper on how there isn't enough religion in school (I'm atheist btw) to join. Needless to say, they accepted and I came out a high school graduate by sending in a paper every 6 months with my grades filled it by myself. Score 1 for homeschool!

Cheers,
Kensai

Unique Name said:
I'm homeschooled. It's not bad at all. I have a social life, and I got a 96th or 97th percentile (can't remember which, lol) on my PSAT. I've recently started taking CLEP tests at a local community college for combined college and high school credit. That way I can concentrate on US History 1 for a month, take the test, and never look back. I competed in a homeschool speech and debate league for 4 years and absolutely loved it. I'm thinking of going back again next year (only reason I might not is because I'll be a Senior.)

So yeah, that's me...
Man aren't CLEPS great?

yea im homeschooled its a pain in the butt sometimes becouse everyone else in the house is loud or a little brother or sister is playing video games or something i wish i could try public school :mad:

I was home schooled from the ending of first grade. I wasn't happy about it at first, but in the long run, it turned out just fine. I don't have a GED. I have my own high school diploma. I choose not to go to college though. I have other plans that I can fund with the same amount of money I'd spend on tuition, then spend the next decade paying off.

edit

And for the record, I am not, nor was I ever socially inept, as is common belief. I have a close group of friends and I'm fine with that. And another thing that always pissed me off, was the assumption that I got to sleep late and do hardly any school. I still got up at 7:30. I still did school till 3pm. Though, I could usually get off wearing pajamas all day. If I'm gonna do school work all day, I'm gonna be comfy.

I was home schooled from pre-school to 5th grade, went to a crappy private school for 6th and 7th, went back to home school for 8th, and have spent the rest at a private high school. With my home schooling, I didn't work nearly as long as regular school kids and still got the whole curriculum done about a month and a half early (the blessing and the curse of no snow days, among other things). The English classes at my high school are awful; in four years I haven't learned a single thing. I get good grades because I just coast through on stuff I learned in 8th grade. I got a really high SAT score without trying, and I only took it once.

I get made fun of at school for being somewhat socially inept, but that has more to do with being shy and living out in the country. I must say home schooling was great for my education.

Spawn Camp3r said:
No dis's on home school kids but homeschooling can hinder your future if you want to go to big colleges and play ncaa stuff, also having a GED rather than graduating high school doesn't look good either. but the advantage is quality of learning (one on one) and speed (no stupid kids holding you back.) And what I said before only apply to the people not using online school which works smoother.

Actually I know several homeschoolers who went to big schools like MIT and ened up doing projects w/the headmaster's

Most Homeschoolers tend to be more educated because their parents push.. unless they had to pull out because they were utterly stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back