Hopes For Halo: CE Remake Thread

What do you think of this remake?

• Finally!!! We can fix the crap that Bungie never got around to doing.

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Eh... It will be nice to get to blow up Halo in HD.

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • WHAT ARE YOU DOING!!! STAY AWAY FROM OUR BABY!!!

Votes: 10 32.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
What's up, 405th! With the upcoming remake of the beloved Halo: CE and the passing of the torch from one of the greatest gaming companies in the world to a rather inexperienced and, to be honest, undesired team, I thought that it would be a good idea for us, the 405th, to get together and share some of our thoughts and hopes for this new game. With a reboot of the series, we can use this opportunity to rectify facets of the game that could be better and create an epic masterpiece that will reign over all of the competition. Hopefully, someone from 343 Industries will take notice of our humble opinions and will take some of our advice. So feel free to post any and all ideas that you have right here.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are some things I would like to see changed and their concerning reasons.

1. I would like to see a targeting system that is more like Call of Duty. What I mean by that is I would like to have to aim down the rail, scope, sights, etc. in order to fire any and all weapons accurately. First of all, it is more realistic which appeals to me greatly. Secondly, it is, hands down, one of the biggest reasons that people enjoy COD better than Halo.

2. I would like to see a cover system similar to Splinter Cell: Conviction or GOW (I have never played GOW, but I am told the cover system in it is quite good.) This is just my tactical training speaking, but I do not care if you are wearing full body armor and a shielding device, a true soldier will never ignore cover. That includes men who have been trained in the art of war since they were children. I promise you. They will use cover.

3. Back away from this Japanese anime stuff. I know some people like it and I mean this respectfully, but Master Chief is, and always will be in our hearts, a man representing the medieval knights of valor and honor and not a Super Saiyan. And I have to say, If I see anything resembling Gaia or the force or any other pseudo mystical stuff, someone is going to get hurt.

4. One final note for tonight. The deepest circle of hell is reserved for those who ruin the stories of true epics. Tread carefully, story writers!

I think the remake needs to be as close to the original as possible. Some MINOR changes could be made, (like vehicle hit damage), but halo 1 was a near perfect game to begin with.

Adding a COD style aiming system would take away from the very essence of halo. The idea is that MC's Helmet aims for him, removing the need to look down sights. In addition to that, if you are strong enough to lift a tank, you can take the recoil. Halo doesn't need a better cover system. The shield allows you to take enemy fire while getting to cover. Then once in cover you can formulate a plan to take out your threat. Both the games you mentioned are third person shooters, while halo is an FPS. Sticking cover systems make no sense for the fast action packed combat that halo is. Everyone takes cover in halo, just not in a conventional way. If somebody is shooting you, hide behind a rock. Watch as they approach on your radar, then assassinate. Halo is a rare type of game in which you can run straight into enemy bullets without dying right away. This is part of the halo playstyle.

Halo is not about realism in our sense of the word, but an interpretation of what combat COULD be like 500 years in the future. As a Super soldier you don't need to do things that normal soldiers would. I halo you do see the marines taking GoW style cover, you don't cause you don't need to.

As to your other 2 points, I agree wholeheartedly, If 343 screws up, I'm not buying another halo game again.

4. One final note for tonight. The deepest circle of hell is reserved for those who ruin the stories of true epics. Tread carefully, story writers!

Actually, the deepest circle of hell is reserved for child molesters, and those who talk in the theater.

- FireFly reference.

One part of me wants a remake but the other doesn't in fear that they will screw everything up and kill this beloved game. A remake for graphics would be the only thing I want, as in smoother animation for the mouths and slightly better looking game play like Halo 3. If they mess with one little thing that effects the entire thing I'm burning someone with a flamethrower.

Adding a COD style aiming system would take away from the very essence of halo. The idea is that MC's Helmet aims for him, removing the need to look down sights. In addition to that, if you are strong enough to lift a tank, you can take the recoil. Halo doesn't need a better cover system. The shield allows you to take enemy fire while getting to cover. Then once in cover you can formulate a plan to take out your threat. Both the games you mentioned are third person shooters, while halo is an FPS. Sticking cover systems make no sense for the fast action packed combat that halo is. Everyone takes cover in halo, just not in a conventional way. If somebody is shooting you, hide behind a rock. Watch as they approach on your radar, then assassinate. Halo is a rare type of game in which you can run straight into enemy bullets without dying right away. This is part of the halo playstyle.

Halo is not about realism in our sense of the word, but an interpretation of what combat COULD be like 500 years in the future. As a Super soldier you don't need to do things that normal soldiers would. I halo you do see the marines taking GoW style cover, you don't cause you don't need to.

I agree that Master Chief is better equipped and much better suited to handle issues such as recoil and aiming than most people, but you have to remember that hardened soldiers, especially Special Forces, tend to try and not rely on their technology because it has the tendency to break. What happens if his aiming system fries? What if he loses his helmet? Will he just continue point shooting? No, he will continue to use proper technique and aim down the sights just as he always had.

Another point to consider is that proper form and aiming is conducive to faster and more accurate shooting. I shoot competitively and I can tell you that proper form and technique always outdoes point shooting.

You do have a point about the cover system and the differences between 1st and 3rd person games, but I think this is a chance for 343 to define themselves as a true cinematic gaming company. Imagine how cool it would be to program the cover system, but have it in the first person. If done right, it would be amazing. And as to the realism of MC using cover, again, stuff breaks. The shield is a safety net, not something to rely on time in and time out. MC cannot run out into the middle of a firefight and yell, "Time out," because his shield gave out. A true soldier would almost never put himself in that situation, barring extenuating circumstances.

halo and call of duty are two completely different creatures. they need to stay that way. call of duty is based of the feats of a normal man doing slightly un-normal things where as halo is an abnormal man doing extraordinary things. two different creatures doing two different things, even O.D.S.T is not call of duty. they never will be, and should never be, considered as such. i can see if your attempting to so what they did with the First Half Life, render it in a new engine with more powerful graphics but to change the game, to change the classic things that make halo what it is, just doesn't seem right. where does the lust for better graphics and renders stop? when does it become too much crap thats stuffed down our throats? why not leave well enough alone and stop whoreing halo out to whomever they want. leave that classic as it should be.

Actually, the deepest circle of hell is reserved for child molesters, and those who talk in the theater.

- FireFly reference.

Exactly what I was thinking when I read that /Internet high-five!

I have to agree completely with Sgt Whoopass... Halo and CoD are different games, and as such should remain so. I enjoy Halo simply because of the pure awesome feeling of being a badass even when you fail... That's how a Spartan is deigned, not as a super-realistic human.

Personally, I would just like to see a CE with Reach-Style (or better) graphics.... and a not-crap computer port <_< Maybe add a bit more storyline concerning specific characters (Johnson, Jenkins etc.), and the inclusion of the Battle Rifle (if only for Jenkin's use), but that's it.

Exactly what I was thinking when I read that /Internet high-five!

Personally, I would just like to see a CE with Reach-Style (or better) graphics.... and a not-crap computer port <_< Maybe add a bit more storyline concerning specific characters (Johnson, Jenkins etc.), and the inclusion of the Battle Rifle (if only for Jenkin's use), but that's it.

I would agree that better graphics are a must. What do you guys think about implementing the armory system? Of course, Master Chief wears the Mark V in Halo: CE and I think it would be wrong to change that, but how about allowing minor modifications such as different shoulder pauldrons, helmet attachments, or MOLLE gear attachments? I think that MC's essence could be maintained that way while still allowing some customization.

Here are a few other ideas that I thought were worth discussing.

1. Armor Stat Changes - Different armor pieces should give different stats. If you have a MOLLE style vest with magazine carriers, you should be able to carry more ammo. If you have extra armor mounted on you, it should take a few extra shots to kill you. If you have a Scout Helmet, you should be able to zoom farther than with a regular helmet. Make sense?

2. Weapon Customization - MC is Special Forces. All SF guys use custom made guns. Introduce a weapon customization system that allows you to modify your weapon for specific missions. Suppressors, scopes, bayonets, etc. should all be allowed.

What do you all think?

It is a complete surprise to me to see the poll results running neck and neck. This indicates to me that no matter what changes are made or what things are left alone, the CE remake will have people in tears. Some from pure joy and some from white hot anger. All in equal measure. MARK MY WORDS...

*bows* Thank you. :p
I really don't want them to change it... the updated graphics/physics will probably be epic, but I'm afraid they'll go to far... it's either going to be great, or really suck. Kind of like the re-releases of the origional 3 star wars movies: better graphics, but then Lucas inserts dumb things like han not shooting first, etc.

Alright, guys. I know J326 is not the only other Halo fan who thinks that some things could be improved on. Tell us what you think!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back