How did the chiefs armour get upgraded..

Status
Not open for further replies.

nosaint

Jr Member
Sorry if I missed this in another post.

The chief wakes up with new armor...Cortana says i've upgraded your firmware I believe.....

Does that mean armor?
How can that happen in hypersleep...

Somebody enlighten the stupid!

its been anwered many times it seems like everywhere now...

343i hinted in some of there videos that this armor is the mk VI that he has always had...

dont worry your not stupid, 343 just took the stupid route on this one...

Chris

We know she upgraded her armor (it looks different right). The answer is simple. It's a game and it is a world of "make-believe". Either that or Cortana has "Iron Man" mechanism to undress Master Chief.

None of the world we see in Halo, Star Wars, Star Trek or any of the science fiction movies make any logical sense in today's technology. Trying to understand any of it with our limited capability is just pure speculation.

To this day I have yet to understand how the Death Star was built. Think about it, it will require a tremendous amount of steel/alloy to build a small moon. Even if you can dig pure ore from a planet, you have to probably destroy 10 planets to come up with sufficient amount steel. Illogical.

The canon reason is Cortana used nanobots on the FUD to upgrade his suit. The real reason is the new art direction that 343i took.

The canon reason is Cortana used nanobots on the FUD to upgrade his suit. The real reason is the new art direction that 343i took.

If that's the canon reason, then why are the spartans wearing the armor in the flashback during the prologue? I believe that 343 is trying to pull wool over our eyes and make us believe that this is the armor that he's always worn, all the way back before Halo: CE. They kind of wrote themselves into a corner with this, and ticked a lot of people off.

If that's the canon reason, then why are the spartans wearing the armor in the flashback during the prologue? I believe that 343 is trying to pull wool over our eyes and make us believe that this is the armor that he's always worn, all the way back before Halo: CE. They kind of wrote themselves into a corner with this, and ticked a lot of people off.
Maybe because 343i is too lazy to make a Hi-res original MKVI suit. That is what Halopedia says.

As for the flashback 343 has to set themselves for the upcoming Halo's cannot show their suit then show Bungie's. This never bothered me, I was like cool new armor!

None of the halopedia sites are official sources of information as they're edited by fans and not 343.

By the way there's a retro style Mark VI armor unlockable in Halo 4 multiplayer, probably for the for longtime fans.

As for the Chief's new look, it's the same with the weapons, ships, vehicles, aliens and all. 343 did a complete redesign of the universe, to fit it better with new rendering technology. This will be the look of Halo from now on and everything from Bungie belongs to a different, previous version.
I thought this was clear, with the Forward unto Dawn and Halsey looking different as well. I didn't see anyone complaining about not using the Reach version of her in the prologue ;)

Or there's the complete redesign of the Zerg and the Terran Marines in Starcraft 2, that's sort of a retcon too but noone argued with that either. I guess Halo fans are a little more passionate than anyone else ;)

Just watched the video listed in the sources for the nanobots explanation (source #28), from the mouth of Frank O'Connor himself. That's about as canon as it gets. Still wish they would have shown the suits correctly in the prologue, but I can live with it.

Everyone, it's just 343's own design on the Mk VI. It's not a Mk VII, it's not new armor, it's just a new design for a new game. Switching companies = switching music, art, design, storyline style, handling, etc. There wasn't a nano bot process, there wasn't an in-cryo refitting, Cortana didn't undress Chief. All it is is a new look/style/design/appearance/idea-thought-up-by-someone-else-to-accomodate-for-a change-of-pace-in-Halo

Sci fi has always taken cues from reality (star-trek). To just ignore the fact that millions of people watch closely at what the chief wears, what his voice sounds like and what his favorite weapon was is a huge error in judgement. I know before the game was released lots of people wanted to know the background story on the new armor..just thought I missed a better explanation. Nano bots that build in battle damage and paint chips....saweeet!

Just watched the video listed in the sources for the nanobots explanation (source #28), from the mouth of Frank O'Connor himself.

Doesn't make sense because it has the damage on the chestplate from the fall at the beginning of Halo 3. I guess he just tried to calm the fans down.

Still wish they would have shown the suits correctly in the prologue, but I can live with it.

Designing and building more versions of the Mjolnir armor probably would've taken away time and manpower from designing and building other stuff like the Brute chieftain.

It also could've confused people who are new to Halo or didn't pay such a close attention to the Chief's armor versions.
"Is that guy in that shot supposed to be the same as the one in this shot and in all the screenshots and trailers for the game, or is it someone else?"

By the way, the one really strange thing is that the undersuit of the Chief's armor is the same as the Spartan-IV undersuit. According to the game's fiction it is the most advanced element, it has the gel layer, the liquid crystal layer that provides the force amplification, it has the flexible outer shell - all the rest is basically just a lot of thick metal and the energy shield system.

So if anything should have been upgraded in 5 years it's exactly this part. Instead we get the same undersuit and three dozen variations of the thick metal ;)

So if I remember right 117 is a generation 2 SPARTAN. And the current gen is 4. So the prologue is Halsey talking about her SPARTANs, which would include gens 1-4. So the prologue flashbacks could possibly be gen 3 and 4 SPARTANs. Just a thought process. Either way, cool new graphics the 343 Mjolnir looks good. Only complaint is I really didn't see many ODSTs during game play.

If you've read Halo Glasslands , after Naomi is finished putting on her armor , it says this -

Chapter 9 pg. 213:

"Hey, you know that suit maintains and upgrades itself when she's in cryo? It's all nanotech."

and since Frankie O' said this as well , there's our answer!

I was also confused by the use of the new armor in the prologue, I new cortnna upgraded the armor as she says so on the ship at the start... I was like, so why do the old spartans have this armor? To be fair, I would have been happier if they just said, this is the way the armor has always been... But oh well, still like the new armor far more than the older versions, and the small bit of story behind just inriches the world for me.

I like to believe the Spartan IIs in the prologue were depicted in battles post/during Halo 3. Since John 117 was pretty much fighting non stop since Halo 2, its not crazy to think that other Spartan deployments had already upgraded their MKVI armor. As for the battle damage on his chest, didn't he basically fall into Requiem's gravity well EVA? Maybe its from that. That's just what I think anyway.

As for the battle damage on his chest, didn't he basically fall into Requiem's gravity well EVA? Maybe its from that. That's just what I think anyway.

That's already been debunked. According to another member here, if you play multiplayer campaign, you can clearly see the damage on the other player's armor right out of the cryo bed.

When Cortana upgraded John's suit via nanobots, the damaged areas must have transferred over. This would also explain the more minor damage marks (scratches, dings, etc.). But I think we're all digging too deep at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back