How do I split a 3D object into pieces?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rainbow dash

So I really need help with this one. I tried to find how to do this by myself, but I have to forfeit.

How do I split a 3D object into several pieces? So there is this really awesome H4 Battle Rifle File from Martyn Lee Ball, basically made for CNC-Machines I want to use.

I want to use this file to print a BR out of a 3D-printer. Well I guess you already know what's the problem here. ;) The 3D printer I'm gonna use has a max build size of 203 x 203 x 305 mm (8 x 8 x 12 inches)
So I have to split the object into at least 3 pieces. Of course i want a clean split along of the axes, so I have a clean straight edge.
But how do I achieve this. Any ideas? I'm familiar with Sketchup but have Blender and 3ds max installed as well.

Here's a picture to illustrate what i want to do:

split.jpg

i'd do it manually. Do a loop cut, then copy both selections. And delete the original.

Thanks, this image illustrates exactly what I want to do! I'll try it and post afterwards if I was successful. ;)

GUID-7099D19D-4273-4E75-B1D4-B9E6D3922513-low.png

i'd do it manually. Do a loop cut, then copy both selections. And delete the original.

To be honest I have no idea how to do that at the moment. (most likely because I just started with 3D modelling) I'll come back to that idea if I'm not successfull with the slice modifier method. But thank you for the answer. :)

Mate how are you going with this project did it work in the 3D printer

Well, the sliced part of the rifle in the picture above is from the lowpoly version of the BR, but the real deal is the full detailed high-poly version. Unfortunately it takes hours to do 4 proper slice-cuts due to the huge amount of data to process. (I think over 6 million faces) So before I can continue I have to upgrade my RAM from 4GB to 8GB. RAM has been already ordered.

I'll show pictures when the BR-print is finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back