Soft Parts How do i strap the armor on the suit???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please use the search function. it is there for a reason.

I searched "strapping tutorial" and I got the STICKY "strapping tutorial 101"

Please do not post threads asking questions that can be answered by using the search.

I've used various things on different getups - it really depends on how you make your pieces, how snug different areas are, and their proximity to each other - and always wear a zentai bodysuit underneath for comfort and cover.

For chest pieces I usually design them as two: front and back; then put hinging in the uppermost sections of the shoulder area to conjoin the two pieces. This makes it easy to slip on over your head. I design the two pieces to both have a shallowed out section in a semicircle, like teeth on jigsaw puzzle pieces. On the front I ADD a semicircle extension, whilst on the back I REMOVE a complimentary semicircle with a dremil. Then I drill a hole through the front extension piece, close the chest armour so that they are locked into each other with the drilled out hole revealing the shallowed out section in the backpiece. While they're closed, use a marker to scribble in the inside of the hole and mark where the hole in the backpiece should be to line up. Drill that. Then secure it with custom-painted bolts and screws.

For my arms and legs I usually want a firm fit on my wrists so I also break these pieces into two separate pieces. I use my own body's measurements, then cut thick, strong elastic (like the type in pant waistbands) to those lengths, sew the ends together to form a ring. The sewing makes it slightly shorter, but that's what I want because it means it'll be nice and firm. I then staple the rings into the respective armour pieces, then it's just a matter of stretching the elastic and pulling them on.

For the lower abdomen and pelvic region it can be a total *****. Again, I do a lot of breaking things up, and often break it up like "scale armour" to retain flexibility for sitting down and the like, attaching the separate pieces with knotted wire, pins, chain links, etc. depending on the armour.

Gauntlets/gloves can also be done like these. I keep the fingers attached to the back of the hand, and make the palm of the hand separately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back