how do people print a chest piece?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Causes 101

I've messed around cutting up my Spartan Chest armor because its huge and can't find a simple way to print the parts without having a bunch of small pieces then glueing them. I do have a Cr-10 so my print bed isn't to small, but I'm having trouble finding a good cut pattern.

please inform me on how Ya'll do it or how i could do it.

Thanks -Causes

Here is a picture of when I first put my chest plate together. You can see that I split it into about 8-10 sections to print on my ender 5 plus. Basically just split it into sections that make sense and are easy orientations to print.

20210530_173345.jpg

Torso.png

Adding in how I printed my MKVI Torso.

Best advice that I have is however you split it - try to make the seams in place where it will be easy to sand / hide them away.

Mine was glued together with plastic cement. I also reinforced the inside of my chest with fiberglass.
would you recommend plastic cement for PETG prints as well, and how does one reinforce it with fiber glass? sorry for the questions I'm extremely new to the 3d printing game, used foam in the past.

would you recommend plastic cement for PETG prints as well, and how does one reinforce it with fiber glass? sorry for the questions I'm extremely new to the 3d printing game, used foam in the past.
I can't say I've tried the plastic cement for PETG prints (only PLA). However, I do think that it should work for them.

Reinforcing with fiberglass is a bit of a messy process. I've used Bondo Fiberglass Resin + sheets of fiberglass I got from the store. My approach has been get everything prepared (including PPE since this stuff is pretty nasty), Mix up the resin, put down a thin layer of resin with chip brush, lay small sheets of fiberglass down into the sticky resin, use the chip brush and more resin to get all the pieces stuck down

Images of it done on my suit starting here - Link

You can also see it done in my other helmet - Link

I also split my chest into multiple pieces. I cut it up into two halves front and back then cut each of those into 4 pieces.

I used CA glue to join mine together. It holds together nicely but if you want it to be more solid I would reinforce it so it wont break if you drop it.

Chest Half.jpg

First two pieces of the chest plate

chest full.jpg

Full chest plate after being glued together

I can't say I've tried the plastic cement for PETG prints (only PLA). However, I do think that it should work for them.

Reinforcing with fiberglass is a bit of a messy process. I've used Bondo Fiberglass Resin + sheets of fiberglass I got from the store. My approach has been get everything prepared (including PPE since this stuff is pretty nasty), Mix up the resin, put down a thin layer of resin with chip brush, lay small sheets of fiberglass down into the sticky resin, use the chip brush and more resin to get all the pieces stuck down

Images of it done on my suit starting here - Link

You can also see it done in my other helmet - Link
Thanks! i will try this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back