How Do You Create Professional Concept Art

Status
Not open for further replies.

GiR3892

hey there guys/gals i think the title might be a little misleading but anyways here i go, now have you ever noticed (which well hopefully you should have ) the concept art for video games or movies, comic strips and so on ? awesome huh anyway now i made this topic so well first of all to the awesome experienced people here to let me know as well as other 405th members which love drawing how do you actually draw professional concept art (meaning the quality of bungie, marvel etc)

so i am hoping this topic goes very successful i will post examples of what i am trying to find out

H3_Jump_Pack_Brute.jpg

550033722_e64cc3e4c4_b.jpg

promo-vehicle.jpg

061209-Spaceship-744092.jpg

now i am sure that most of you have probibly seen some draw a concept design for say a car or a game. it's all clean and perfect the question is How do you actually creat and awesome concept design for a future project ?

stencils?

sketched then coloured?

drawn in microsoft paint with a drawing tablet ?

if you guys/gals can give me steps, pics on how to do it and the list of penicls ,texter, pc programms etc i will be completly greatfull i am hopeing this delema is resoulved soon for my sake

thank you every body for visiting please post something if you have any sort of info on how to make it remember "every bit helps"

cheers

My younger brother has a Intuos3 6 x 8 tablet that he uses for his concept art. I've also tried a Cintiq (sp?) and I liked it alot. I really don't do too much concept stuff anymore, but it's def fun.

JSwift said:
My younger brother has a Intuos3 6 x 8 tablet that he uses for his concept art. I've also tried a Cintiq (sp?) and I liked it alot. I really don't do too much concept stuff anymore, but it's def fun.

awesome you wouldnt happen to have any pictures and what program he used would u ? pictures would really awesome

EDIT*
drawing-woman-03.jpg

i have another picture this is sort of the way i wish to go but mostly in colour now i have heard of Marker rendering with coloured marker etc dont they actually leave those nasty un professional lines?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm part old school, I draw with pencil and ink. Sometimes marker, then scan into Photoshop, I also have a Wacom digital drawing board. A lot of the guys at LucasArts use the digital route and draw that way.

GiR3892 said:
awesome you wouldnt happen to have any pictures and what program he used would u ? pictures would really awesome

EDIT*
drawing-woman-03.jpg

i have another picture this is sort of the way i wish to go but mostly in colour now i have heard of Marker rendering with coloured marker etc dont they actually leave those nasty un professional lines?

I would not say that markers leave a "nasty unprofessional line". That is what it's all about, the design/art of it the looseness of the medium. That's what gives it the great look. Computer rendered designs/illustrations can sometimes come off as stagnant when it is "too clean".

The above illustration looks like she was done in watercolor or acrylic and scanned in.

thanks geo i will see if i can find a drawing pad in my town that was most likely the first step i was goin to take apart from using markers for rendering

Making pro level concept art takes a lot of time and practice! That being said, I suggest starting simple: a good pencil and some scrap paper. Making awesome artwork is mostly about your own skill, and not specifically what tools you use. Most of the work you've posted looks like it was created with Markers (Prismacolor or Copic, take your pick, but Copic are FAR superior, and somewhat more expensive), or in the computer with Photoshop or Corel Painter and a Wacom tablet. I can go into more detail about any of these if you'd like, I studied this stuff in college (which isn't saying much).

I'm actually working for a game company right now (can't say who, don't ask) and the way it works is we can use any tools at our disposal and any combination of programs. Most use Photoshop with a tablet and draw a quick sketch similar to the mongoose picture in the first post. The reason for this is you don't want to spend a lot of time on a single piece just to have it rejected. Only you make about 30 or more pieces depending on what you are doing for that particular game, for example I'm in charge of the robot faction so I have about 30 full body robots sketches out with closeups on specific parts of the armor like the helmet, gauntlet, etc. After the sketch has been approved you make a final similar to the brute but you make a full body front, side and rear as well as any closeups on detail parts you want the 3d modelers to preserve. Your concept art is just that, a possibility, it usually ends up looking fairly close but the 3d modeler may add his own details or change specific shapes due to prevent intersecting polygons or cut down the polygon cost plus add their own personal touch.

Cheers,

Kensai

Flyerfye said:
Making pro level concept art takes a lot of time and practice! That being said, I suggest starting simple: a good pencil and some scrap paper. Making awesome artwork is mostly about your own skill, and not specifically what tools you use. Most of the work you've posted looks like it was created with Markers (Prismacolor or Copic, take your pick, but Copic are FAR superior, and somewhat more expensive), or in the computer with Photoshop or Corel Painter and a Wacom tablet. I can go into more detail about any of these if you'd like, I studied this stuff in college (which isn't saying much).

kensai111 said:
I'm actually working for a game company right now (can't say who, don't ask) and the way it works is we can use any tools at our disposal and any combination of programs. Most use Photoshop with a tablet and draw a quick sketch similar to the mongoose picture in the first post. The reason for this is you don't want to spend a lot of time on a single piece just to have it rejected. Only you make about 30 or more pieces depending on what you are doing for that particular game, for example I'm in charge of the robot faction so I have about 30 full body robots sketches out with closeups on specific parts of the armor like the helmet, gauntlet, etc. After the sketch has been approved you make a final similar to the brute but you make a full body front, side and rear as well as any closeups on detail parts you want the 3d modelers to preserve. Your concept art is just that, a possibility, it usually ends up looking fairly close but the 3d modeler may add his own details or change specific shapes due to prevent intersecting polygons or cut down the polygon cost plus add their own personal touch.

Cheers,

Kensai

thank you kensai i have a rough idea on what u mean ill post pictures of different things but mainly the stages

so basically you do a quick sketch

7.jpg

then left ride back and front

rtyru.jpg

then render

crabfort.jpg

this is mainly just for single purpose just for fun not for game development

How to draw professional concept art?

Go to school, have skill in the subject, and work for a professional company sketching/drawing.

You don't just learn how to draw like the pros without a little practice, determination, and learnin'.

kensai111 said:
Yep, you've got it :)

Cheers,

Kensai

awesome, thanks

Nugget said:
How to draw professional concept art?

Go to school, have skill in the subject, and work for a professional company sketching/drawing.

You don't just learn how to draw like the pros without a little practice, determination, and learnin'.

i did 3 years of art school (didnt really have to do much) have skill in the subject well i know i have that

SDC11248.JPG

and work for a pro company well i dont really want to as i said this is for just home and for fun and maybe future project

these pics are 3 years old i though i lost em and nearly had a heart attack when i could not find then (not literally)

stjgndarh.jpg

SDC11251.JPG

Trooper0621 said:
If you're interested in concept art, this is a great site/forum to browse through. Best of luck!

http://conceptart.org/

I'll second that, ConceptArt.org is an incredible place. Some insanely talented people there!

You could also look at buying some of the Massive Black DVDs:

http://www.media.massiveblack.com/

or the Gnomon Workshop DVDs:

http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/

Both have some really good stuff.

I just recently got "Gears of War Creature Design" by James Hawkins, it's not a full tutorial or anything but it's really cool to be able to seem him go all the way through the design process, helped me with some of my design work too :)

Well I'm not a professional artist at a game company, but I've done a bit of art here and there. Nothing special, but, just in case you were a bit curous about the whole Photoshopping thing, here's a little .gif I made as a visual (I did this like two years ago, just for your info ...)

goblinwarrior.gif

That was just a character I drew, so I guess it's not really concept art. But here's technically some concept art I did (I drew this when I was 11, so please excuse all the proportional errors, lol. But I Photoshopped it two years later once I got into, well, Photoshop. I made it when two friends and I were making a lot of drawings for a game we wanted to make (obviously three 11-year-olds can't make a game, but we were stupid and didn't know that, lol). I hope you like it! (PS - The game was about a futuristic war between the Irish Republican Army and a corrupt despotic government which was ruling in England. No offense to anyone members over the pond, those were just the countries we picked).

soldierportraitpsdcopy.png

Game artists often incorporate concept sketches of game elements (armor, weapons, vehicles, etc) into thier more artistic concept pieces, just like I imported the sketch of the helmet I designed (again, four years ago) into the piece above:

helmetfront.jpg

helmetside.jpg

Sorry that not a lot of this is very recent work, and that some of it isn't really "concept art," but I hope it sort-of helps!

Shade

thanks every one , yeh i havent really done much drawing a for a while so im a lil rusty but i did a car drawing of well whats supoosed to looking like a done up 1994 mitsubushi magna and being a scanner it always make those images look weird but yeh here u go lol i did it around 20 mins before i had to go downtown

obviously it was a rush job to see if i could pull it off

scan0002.jpg

here is a half life 2 drawing

ehgheh3.jpg

and a charcoal drawing of a spartan with odst helmet

srgs.jpg

I love the things and stuff to draw, if you want to draw on your pc like in real way (pencil and paper)

then i recomment you to buy a design tablet for your pc. Make some random pictures and make them much coler with photo shop or somthing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back