How Do You Put These Flaps Together?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Underdogg13

I was going to start doing Rundown's ODST helmet (Ral's unfold). As I was looking over the unfold, I came across this:

[attachment=12452:Wierd flaps.jpg]

I have seen overlapping flaps before but I've never pepped them when they're this severe. Does anyone know how I would go about doing so? How do you guys deal with these?

Well I would fire up the hot glue gun (cause the flaps are small as hell) and run a bead across 2 flaps, then quickly join up the two at the proper postions and wait for the glue to cool. If you don't have a hot glue gun then just use super glue

Spartan-124 said:
Well I would fire up the hot glue gun (cause the flaps are small as hell) and run a bead across 2 flaps, then quickly join up the two at the proper postions and wait for the glue to cool. If you don't have a hot glue gun then just use super glue

So, just put them together like any other flaps? How about these?:

[attachment=12457:Another strange flap.jpg]

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually decide based on how it will affect my finished product.

Either:

1) Deal with it and pep them

2) score and fold down the middle of the flap, instead of on the line

3) use a bit of extra card stock to extend the flaps and build as usual.

Edit:

In the case above, score, don't cut, and then fold.

You can always detach them from the main part and re-attach them as a single curved part. If they are small enough, just ignore the cut line and just leave them as a single piece.

usually with the really small flaps, ill cut them, fold them as needed, but wont glue until larger more important flaps are out of the way... if you can get the larger flaps done, much of the time the small ones begin to line up as need, then you can glue right over them.

Underdogg13 said:
I was going to start doing Rundown's ODST helmet (Ral's unfold). As I was looking over the unfold, I came across this:

[attachment=12452:Wierd flaps.jpg]

I have seen overlapping flaps before but I've never pepped them when they're this severe. Does anyone know how I would go about doing so? How do you guys deal with these?

Simply cut and fold the piece at places you're supposed to. Then glue this piece to the other and not worry about gluing those "overlapping flaps" together. They're too small and you'll only mess it up if you try to glue single one of them.

Underdogg13 said:
So, just put them together like any other flaps? How about these?:

[attachment=12457:Another strange flap.jpg]

In this case, the flaps are obviously hopelessly small. This is better than the other option, which separating the piece into very narrow strips. Simply cut along the solid line (this will allow the model to flex and prevent warping) and not worry about gluing the flaps.

When the other flaps are properly glued together, there is enough support that gluing those very thin and small flaps will not be necessary. Here's the helmet that I put together:

IMG_0157.jpg

Ral Partha said:
Simply cut and fold the piece at places you're supposed to. Then glue this piece to the other and not worry about gluing those "overlapping flaps" together. They're too small and you'll only mess it up if you try to glue single one of them.

In this case, the flaps are obviously hopelessly small. This is better than the other option, which separating the piece into very narrow strips. Simply cut along the solid line (this will allow the model to flex and prevent warping) and not worry about gluing the flaps.

When the other flaps are properly glued together, there is enough support that gluing those very thin and small flaps will not be necessary. Here's the helmet that I put together:

IMG_0157.jpg

Thanks alot, man! It's a lot more reassuring hearing from the man who made the unfold himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back