How many suits of armor is too many?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got 3 on my to-do list. Spartan 117, stormtrooper, fallout power armor. Also maybe some droids like bb8, wall-e and portal's wheately.

Last edited:
Hello, macktruck. This thread has not been responded to or updated in over a year and a half, last post being in Febuary of 2016. Many of the members around here view posting and reviving threads that have not been updated in over a year as "necro-posting" and view it unfavorably as it pushes down and buries current, active threads and can cause confusion and is seen as bad internet etiquette.

Please check the data and the content of the last post in a thread before making a reply.

Never too many

F9055F4F-5016-4F7C-A562-8C16797BB38D.jpeg

I would say there's no such thing as too many. I admittedly bit off too much to chew when I joined this site way back, and I haven't been too active since. I made plans to do a H4 suit of Chief armor, and it failed for a variety of reasons. I don't have the supplies or PPE for working with composite materials, nor the funds currently, my computer is incompatible with Pepakura Designer, (Mac, I couldn't get Wine to function), and I picked a really difficult and ambitious project to tackle. I'm saving up, and soon working, to where I should be able to get a 3d printer eventually. I'll be getting a PC in about May or June, which gives me 4-5 months to wait before I can start that. Until then, right now I'm making a suit of Mandalorian armor. I downloaded templates, bought sintra, cut them out, bent, and sanded them. I'm doing a base layer of bronze, and then I'll do the fun stuff like weathering and final paint, before putting together the soft parts and ordering or 3d printing a bucket. So I'm 95% on that with the armor, everything is finished. It just needs paint, mounting, and soft parts.

I'm also working on a suit of scale maille armor. I ordered anodized aluminum scales and rings from The Ring Lord, a Canadian company that does costume work for a lot of films, such as WoW, The Hobbit films, amongst some others. So that's real studio grade stuff, and it's fairly exhausting to work with. Not because it's expensive, or fancy. It's just tiny and a huge pain in the butt. I've already sunk about 20-25 hours into that. I'm probably about 15% to 20% done with the hauberk, and then I need to worry about making a gambeson to wear it over.

So yeah. 2 suits WIP right now, all less ambitious projects than a proper suit of Halo armor. When I get a PC put together, I'm going to do what I can to do something a bit less ambitious, like a H2 suit of MJOLNIR. Something I don't have to stress the pep work on, and I can focus solely on the things that keep my attention and drive like finishing work, electronics, soft parts, among other things. And hopefully by the time I'm done with that I'll be full equipped to handle doing a suit of MJOLNIR Gen II armor. Chances are I'll have a 3d printer by then, as well as the prerequisite tools to make an awesome suit of armor. Along the way, I'm also tackling some leatherworking, and hopefully some metal working, to make some medieval or fantasy armor along the way... I'm wanting to potentially get into the theater tech/costume design industry. I'm planning for all my work to kind of serve as a resume, lol. Adam Savage is definitely one of my role models.

So no, I don't think there's such a thing as too many suits of armor. If I see something cool, I want to build it, have it, and wear it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back