how much can fiberglass stand up to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

feigned echo

Jr Member
i want to take a master chief helmet skiing, but i think it may restrict my vision so i one, don't want to hurt my head if i fall, and two don't want the helmet hurt, although it can't be much more restricting than ski goggles, anyway, what's the structural integrity of fiberglass that you all know of? personal references would be much appreciated, thank you.
 

Macattack64

Well-Known Member
feigned-echo said:
i want to take a master chief helmet skiing, but i think it may restrict my vision so i one, don't want to hurt my head if i fall, and two don't want the helmet hurt, although it can't be much more restricting than ski goggles, anyway, what's the structural integrity of fiberglass that you all know of? personal references would be much appreciated, thank you.
I want to say that it will get crushed if ran over by a car... I could be wrong... It should be fine just make sure there are no weak spots and that you make it water resistant... Also padding... :\
 
Last edited by a moderator:

feigned echo

Jr Member
Macattack64 said:
I want to say that it will get crushed if ran over by a car... I could be wrong... It should be fine just make sure there are no weak spots and that you make it water resistant... Also padding... :\
yeah, i was planning on padding, and water proofing and the such, but now i'm starting to think against it, would you think me an idiot if you saw me skiing with an mc helmet on? or would you find it funny?
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Macattack64

Well-Known Member
feigned-echo said:
yeah, i was planning on padding, and water proofing and the such, but now i'm starting to think against it, would you think me an idiot if you saw me skiing with an mc helmet on? or would you find it funny?
I think it would look akward if I saw a person with a mc helmet on skiing... It would be funny if they had a whole suit on... LOL...
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Fuffuloo

Jr Member
Wait, so can you sit down on your crotch piece or fall down on your arm without breaking your armor at all?
 

Sean Bradley

Sr Member
Please don't confuse costume armor with actual protective equipment.

Real protective helmets are tested for their ballistic strength and ability to save peoples lives.

Costume armor is just made to look cool... we don't have the funds or resources to certify anything as being protective.
 

Macattack64

Well-Known Member
Fuffuloo 117 said:
Wait, so can you sit down on your crotch piece or fall down on your arm without breaking your armor at all?
If it's thick enough... it cant be one weak layer... It's gotta have about... Ionno... 3/16 of an inch... I would say... :\
I'm just thinking off the top of my head... :\... These aren't actually facts... Don't take me word for word... I don't want you to go make a suit and like try to get run over by a car and see if it doesn't break... :(
 
Last edited by a moderator:

feigned echo

Jr Member
yeah, i think i've decided against taking the mc helmet skiing, seems like a dumb idea now that i think about it, if someone thinks otherwise talk me out of it.
 

GruntOfAction

Well-Known Member
feigned-echo said:
yeah, i think i've decided against taking the mc helmet skiing, seems like a dumb idea now that i think about it, if someone thinks otherwise talk me out of it.
Head Injuries are fun! Thats how I cut my forehead open on a scooter..lol.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

mark

Jr Member
i think a layer of glass can stand up to the same stuff that a sheet of balsa wood can withstand
 

Boomer

Jr Member
I'd definitely like to know how many layers of fiberglass I need to put on the butt plate-belt-cod so I can safely sit on it without fear of it snapping (or if that's even possible). I'd really like to be able to drive with the armor on (minus the helmet, of course). It'll be a bit awkward going to a Halloween party if I have to spend 10 minutes in the driveway putting myself together... Does anyone know from experience how many layers it takes?
 

sybrfreq

Jr Member
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/injury/ped...pages/page2.htm

theres some info on motorcycle helmets... if you make it big enough so there is 1" all the way around and then fill it with polystyrene foam, you'd basically have a motorcycle helmet

its not the fiberglass that does the protecting, its the foam inside ;)

you must either be really small or have a really big car if you can fit with all the armor on... i'd have to take out the roof and fold myself up real tight for that to happen
 

Boomer

Jr Member
I drive a truck - though now that you mention it, the chest/back portion sticks out quite a bit, so even that might be a challenge.

Thanks for the tip on the foam!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top