How Much Does A Full Costume Cost To Make?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So far, I've spent far more than I should have and gotten less-than-great results. I've finally got a method working now, so here's my estimated price list for a brand-new scratch-build:

$5 2 reams 110-lb card stock

$100 2 gallons fiberglass resin (don't buy them both at once)

$40 2 gallons bondo body-filler

$12 2 packs fiberglass cloth

$20 ~20 side-release buckles

$10 Polypropylene webbing

$30 reflective visor

$20 LEDs, wiring, battery pack, switch

$20 sandpaper

____

$257

$50 Good respirator with VOC filter

$50 mouse sander

$50 moto-tool with bits

$25 Saws, files, exacto blades, etc

not including anything for the undersuit. This assumes building armor from HD pep files with the mud-glassing method.

Liq said:
I'm at around $650 right now on my MKVI, and I figured I need a little more for helmet lighting, and small odds and ends. This does include everything from undersuit to disposable brushes though. I was thinking I could do it for $200 or less, but I really got caught up in it.

It has been a remarkable new hobby though. I've learned to do something that I would never have imagined, and that easily makes it worth every penny AND hour I've spent on it. Not to mention there are very cool folk here, and I look forward to meeting you all next year at DCon.

Im not done yet and Im sitting around 400 dollars in materials. I bought alot of my materials ahead of time, so most of what is left to buy is for the finish stages. Also, I did make extra parts, and had to go back and remake parts do to me being an idiot and not checking to see if things were proportionate....and I should go ahead and put a digital camera in the price to, because I have yet to buy one...lol...as soon as I do, Ill post all my progress.

No matter how much I have spent....Liq's last few sentences say it all for me. (and maybe I will make it to dcon next year to, I only live like an hr and a half away from ATL lol) You sure cant beat making something yourself...being able to look at something that you thought was awesome and know you made it...thats enough for me to keep going on all my work.

Last edited by a moderator:
ImaGonnaGetYou said:
eBay =/= Accurate prices

People sell dimes on there for 20 bucks. Yeah, definitely accurate value right?

$510 isn't half bad (debatable), but $3000 is an extreme by far.

$3,000.00 may seem alot but I will point out a few stats for you. Some studios sell their suits for more than my Busa is going for and they are not one of a kind. There was only ever one other Busa made and it was alol pep. My suit is 90% Flex Foam It which costs twice as much as plastic at $200.00 a gallon. The Helmet, chest plate and hand plates are the only plast on the suit giving you max range of motion. You will not understand how much the Flex Foam It changes things until you use it. Ask other Members about the difference. This suit has been recognized by Bungie and Rooster Teeth (Red Vs Blue). If you can show me one other Haybusa suit close to the quality of mine then I will drop the price. I have been making this suit since late Feb and this is as detailed as they come.

Ithica said:
$3,000.00 may seem alot but I will point out a few stats for you. Some studios sell their suits for more than my Busa is going for and they are not one of a kind. There was only ever one other Busa made and it was alol pep. My suit is 90% Flex Foam It which costs twice as much as plastic at $200.00 a gallon. The Helmet, chest plate and hand plates are the only plast on the suit giving you max range of motion. You will not understand how much the Flex Foam It changes things until you use it. Ask other Members about the difference. This suit has been recognized by Bungie and Rooster Teeth (Red Vs Blue). If you can show me one other Haybusa suit close to the quality of mine then I will drop the price. I have been making this suit since late Feb and this is as detailed as they come.

I didn't mean to say it wasn't worth it, I was simply stating that it seemed like somewhat of an extreme in my opinion. Please, don't take it personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back