How to get the most out of your project (Advice thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unity

Hello all!

here is my 2 cents on how you can get the most out of your project. I hope you enjoy and can take somthing away from this thread! Here goes!

A United Methodist Pastor by the name of Tom Anderson was recently talking about the local United Methodist church's mission trip and how they built a ramp for those who are dissabled. He said that the ramp was built not once, but twice . Built once in the mind and built for the second time in the physical world. The moral was , if you dont have a good base plan, you wont be able to build it into somthing that you can be proud of. You can build it without putting any thought into it and rush into everything . But that will produce poor results and work that you wont be happy with. However, if you take your time and make a good plan in your mind, you will have a fantastic project that you will be proud of and will be satisfied with .

When you first get a idea for a project you need to

-Establish what I wish to accomplish

-Create a plan of operations (how you will pull it off)

-Gather supplies and resources I will need

-Begin to execute the plan you set up for yourself

For example -

I want to build a MK. VI helmet

I wish to accomplish - A finished helmet that is as accurate as I can possibly make it

My plan- Gather referance, Get supplies and finally build the project.

Supplies I need - Paper for pepakura , Glue to assemble the pepakura, Resin & fiberglass, Bondo and paint

I will build it in the order of - Pepakura, Resin & fiberglass , Detail and a great paintjob!

Remember to TAKE YOUR TIME! I know when I first started out proping , I wanted to rush rush rush into it and not take my time. My first build was TERRIBLE because of that. I slowly learned to take my time and create a "order of operations" for myself . I now do all of these and I produce props that I am satisfied with. Another thing you must remember is that you are making props and armor to satisfy YOURSELF. NOT others. As long as you are satisfied with your work, you are doing good!

Do all these things and you will produce projects that people and most importantly YOU will be satisfied with ! Hope this thread was helpfull and that you can now have a easier time planning and pulling off your projects!

Thanks for reading!

Jacob

I could not agree more with what you stated.
That is exactly how my mindset was for my project.
I cannot stress how important it was to THINK and PLAN before taking any action.

Excellent 2 cents Jacob!

no duh! I've had more failed projects resulting from bad planning than anything else. I'd jump on it too quick, mess up, and the fix would require a lot of time/effort that a little planning would have avoided. excellent advice.

Great thread J!
Rushing your project will get you exactly that...a rush job. Something you've just thrown together and ultimately something you won't be happy with. TAKE YOUR TIME! It's worth it!

This is fantastic advice! I am a complete noob and am still in progress of a helmet, and this definitly brought out complete satisfaction.

Not to necro this thread but , Thanks for the feedback! I'm going to make a updated version of this today and I'll have it up in a bit !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back