How To Mix And How To Apply Bondo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Filling primer? huh? whats that?

and by the time you started doing the top around 6.00, the bondo looking like is was getting harder to spread, was it starting to cure by then?

sierra092 said:
Filling primer? huh? whats that?

and by the time you started doing the top around 6.00, the bondo looking like is was getting harder to spread, was it starting to cure by then?

A filling primer is a primer which fills minor scratches and pinholes. It's great with wet sanding.

Yes, the bondo was curing, meaning it's thicker and harder to spread.

Last edited by a moderator:
you really should wear a respirator even with bondo as the vapors are still dangerous from what ive been told. Nice tut though.

It might also be useful to add that body Filler is better when you need a large area raised, and Resin is just to strengthen it. Not to mention Body Filler cracks a lot when not applied any more than about 1/4".

Well since you speak French, I'll make it simpler.

Resin should be used when you need an area strengthened, but you do not want it to be very thick. ex: Pepakura, of course.

Body Filler should be used when you want a large area raised up to do detail and grooves, but cannot be used in thin coats like Resin can.

Make sense? :)

I might have only been using Bondo for a few weeks now, but I learned that lesson pretty quick.

I've been using bondo for over a year as thin as shown in my video without any cracks.

Might be your hardener ratio or simply your environnement.

Mixing it correctly also helps have fewer air bubbles, meaning fewer pin holes and possibly cracks.

I also sand the previous layer to make sure it has something to hold to.

i found this really helpful thanks, i didnt think it needed to be put on in thick coats tho, i just thought it was used to smooth out the square edges from the folds in pepakura

is that right or should i be applying in thick layers?????

still havent used it yet

You apply thin layers that you sand until you have the right shape.

Some users like WetOKole likes to start with ONE thick coat and sand it down.

Where is your respirator and gloves? It is very important to wear one while doing bondo work. Right on the side of the bondo can it says to wear one because the fumes are known to cause cancer and it is bad if it makes contact with your skin.

Gregnizzle said:
Where is your respirator and gloves? It is very important to wear one while doing bondo work. Right on the side of the bondo can it says to wear one because the fumes are known to cause cancer and it is bad if it makes contact with your skin.

:eek &$!$. Woops.

Gregnizzle said:

Yep.

And we should wear seatbealts, and not smoke.

I know.

I know it's called safety and I use a respirator when I use fiberglass.

Eh, I can't smell, and I don't get bondo on my hands. I'll pay the price later.

I'm not an example I know, but I don't NEED to receive comments or PMs about it, I know it ;)

Can you mix different brands of bondo? ie two layers of one kind followed by follow on layers of a second.

Nice tut. How much working time do you have in cold weather with the Bondo before it starts to cure? (using the recommended ratio of hardener to bondo)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back