How to Mold objects (Video tutorial series)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unity

Hello all!

A friend of mine asked me to mold him some Dungeons and Dragons figures and I figured I would film a little walk through of the process !
In the video I'm molding a Ogre figure that requires some extra care when placing it in the clay . the head/ upper back area requires a slant in the clay due to the Ogre hunching forward . It makes for a pretty good example of a complex seam line (well maybe not complex, but not simple)
Enjoy!

Part 2!

The third video!

I will now be making different tutorial videos for you all due to interest . Make sure to vote on the current pole as to what kind of mold you would like to see next!

-Jacob

Here is another advice/help thread that may help you with your other builds . Thanks!

How to get the most out of your build (V2)

POLL :

What would you guys like for the next video?

A brush on Latex mold
A Brush on Silicone mold
A 1 piece block mold

Let me know in a reply to the thread! Thanks!

Here are some examples of different types of molds -

1. A one part box mold (OOMOO 25)

chocolatemastercheifmold023.jpg

2. A two-part mold (OOMOO 25)

chocolatemastercheifmold020.jpg

3. A brush on latex mold with fiberglass shell (Castin' Craft Mold Builder brand Latex compound)

chocolatemastercheifmold022.jpg

Hope these help! Please remember to reply with any questions you have!

Hey everyone! This tutorial made the UnitedPropBuilders April 2012 News! Thanks Adam! [It's at 2:16]

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice job on the tut. Jacob. I always like watching molding tutorials. It helps me understand a little more about what it takes to actually do this type of work. Where can you buy that clay from?

Simple tutorial, and really informative! I want to mold and cast a couple rounds of ammo I got from an army store and even a McFarlane Halo Figure or two. Thanks :p

Righteous tut Jacob, very very informative. lol I might do this for my DM's models so he doesn't have to buy more lol.

You're welcome! I ordered some silicone today , so that means part 2 will be up early next week!

Well... get a move on!
Being someone who has never moulded/casted before, I am looking forward to the 2nd part of this. As I plan on trying out my hand at this process!

Cheers,
Cereal

Righteous tut Jacob, very very informative. lol I might do this for my DM's models so he doesn't have to buy more lol.

Thanks man! Haha no one likes a angry DM !

Well... get a move on!
Being someone who has never moulded/casted before, I am looking forward to the 2nd part of this. As I plan on trying out my hand at this process!

Cheers,
Cereal

I am going to film it as soon as I get the silicone in the mail! (That should be either Saturday or Monday) Thanks again!

-Jacob

EDIT:

I have a little question for you all -

Would you like to see several different methods of molding and casting? I have the materials to cover everything from brush-on molds to pour on molds . I will be molding several pieces for the Unity Project , I could take those and make them tutorials if you guys would be interested . Give me your feedback!

Awesome! You guys are welcome! I'll start a poll and let you guys vote as to what kind of mold you would like to see next!

Thanks again!

Jacob

EDIT:

How exactly do I add a poll? lol

Nice!
Awaiting the update!!
Once again, very much appreciated.

It will be up tomorrow ! The second part of the mold is curing right now! I'll open it up first thing in the morning and try to get at least one cast out . btw -

Smooth-on has changed their packaging ! I honestly love the re-design , as it's easier to get silicone out of the bottles .

(Left : Old Right : New)

DSCF0444.jpg

I'll post it ASAP!

-Jacob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back