** How To Run Pep's On Mac **

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cereal Killl3r

Since many people here use a Mac (My condolences) I'm going to teach you how to run Windows (Proper) directly from your Mac machine, so application such as Pepakura Viewer or Pepakura Designer (or anything else) can be run from your mac!

ALRIGHT... HERE WE GO!!!

Dual-booting is a fancy term for splitting your hard drive into two bootable volumes, each with its own operating system. This method requires you to restart your Mac to switch between Mac OS X and Windows - the Parallels method doesn’t. Note that Boot Camp is still beta software, so back up your data thoroughly and be extra careful with each step.

WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
1. An Intel-based Mac
2. Mac OS X 10.4.6 (or later)
3. Dual Boot Software:
- Boot Camp Assistant beta 1.1.2 or later (free)
- Parallels (pay $$$ but much better!)
4. Single-disc version of Windows XP Home or Professional with Service Pack 2 (or higher)

FOLLOW THESE STEPS:
1. Get Current:
First, get your Mac up to date: Fire up Software Update (Apple Menu > Software Update), and install the Mac OS X 10.4.6 update if you don’t already have it. But wait, there’s more - going dual-platform also requires a firmware update. Go to http://support.apple.com/downloads/ and find the latest firmware for your Mac. Follow the installation instructions that come with the firmware. Now would also be a good time to back up everything on your Mac.

2. Gather Your Tools:
You need a few more items before installing Windows. Get your single-disc copy of Windows XP Home or Professional with Service Pack 2 (SP2). (If you’re just doing this on a lark and don’t plan on keeping XP around, you can install it from a borrowed disc and use it for 30 days before the built-in Windows-activation police disable Windows XP.) If you’re concerned with performance, know that XP Professional supports multiple-core processors - XP Home doesn’t. Next, proceed to http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/ to download and install the free Boot Camp software - a 143MB package.

3. Install Windows:
Double-click the Boot Camp Assistant icon (/Applications/Utilities) and follow the onscreen prompts as the Assistant does everything for you. First, it burns a disc of drivers you’ll need to install into Windows later; just insert a blank disc when prompted and click OK. The Assistant will ask how much of your available disk space you want to dedicate to the Windows OS (the default 10GB leaves about 1GB of free space on the Windows volume, which is fine for now). With your driver disc at the ready, insert a Windows XP installation disc and click Start Installation.

READ THIS: Boot Camp Caveats

During the Windows installation, make sure you install on the C: partition - otherwise, you’ll destroy the Mac OS partition, leaving you with a Windows-only Mac. Follow these tips to get through safely:

Emergency Eject:
After you install Windows but before you install the drivers, your Mac’s Eject key probably won’t work. To eject the Windows XP install disc, go to Start > My Computer, find the optical-drive icon (labeled D: ), Control-click it, and select Eject from the pop-up menu.

WARNIGN!!!:
If the driver installation grinds to a halt, check the Taskbar at the bottom of the screen for alerts that are hidden behind the main installer window. Windows throws up these errors for every driver that’s not certified by Microsoft - just click OK to dismiss them.

Escape Hatch:
Hang on to your Boot Camp Assistant app - it can cleanse Windows XP from your Mac just as easily as it installed it.

YOUR WELCOME!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been meaning to this but I have come across a little issue with hard drive space that I will ask you about outside this thread so not to clog it up with unrelated. Although I knew how to do this thank you for showing those that don't :)

SO MENY WORDS. But thanks. :)

It's as straight forward as it possibly can be!
Np.

I have been meaning to this but I have come across a little issue with hard drive space that I will ask you about outside this thread so not to clog it up with unrelated. Although I knew how to do this thank you for showing those that don't :)

Feel free in asking whatever you want here! (related to this topic)
You may help someone in the same situation ;)

I personally, am not a Mac user... (hate them!) lol
But will help anyone in need of assistance! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back