Huge Flaw In Halo: Reach That Needs Your Votes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arithen

Hi everyone! I've made a topic on the Bungie.net Halo: Reach Feedback forums, and i really need your help with it! This is a huge issue that needs to be taken out of Reach immediately! Please read and vote here! http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=44203411&viewreplies=true#end

Here's the original topic

For those that dont know, Bungie is testing out their ability to forcefully ban players from talking or being heard. As interesting and intriguing as this ban is, along with their other bans, This one just has too much potential for absolute abuse and failure.

Bungie has announced that there are a few Bans that are integrated into Halo Reach. Some of these are getting banned for quitting a game too many times, or betraying team mates. These bans make sense. Quitting a game or betraying a team mate is ultimately a single persons fault, their own personal fault. However, the mute ban seems to be in control not by an individual, but by other players. This is where the issue comes in. If a player has a poor microphone and it has some static in it for a few games, chances are, players are going to mute this person. After a total accumulation of mutes, this player gets banned from talking AND hearing other players. This person just simply had bad luck and a few games where his or her mic malfunctioned.

In a similar sense, people with higher pitched voiced often get muted. I for one almost always mute any player that has an annoyingly high pitched voice in any game. In this situation, a person may get banned from hearing or talking to anyone merely because of his or her high voice.

I realize that these are supposed to be temporary things, but I have read some employees comments saying that they do have the power to permanently ban a person.

I myself have already become a victim of this. I have about an 80% preferred player rating, and an average negativity percentage on communication at about 15%. Yet I am currently Mute banned. I don't trash talk unless it's with friends, and I dont yell or scream in my mic.

Because of this, I now HAVE to go into a Party chat to even hear my friends, who are unable to un-mute me. This plays a huge factor on actual game play because now Myself, as well as anyone who is in the party chat, is unable to communicate with other players to tell them what's lurking behind the corner, or some other threat to the team.

I never received a notice that I got a Mute Ban, and all my settings are perfectly fine and unchanged. I dont have an account that is family monitored or anything like that. and my name has a mute sign where the mic sign should be in a lobby.

This has been this way for about 24 hours now, with no sign of going, and no responses from Bungie at all.

Unlike the other Ban's that Bungie is introducing to Reach, this one in particular has an effect on ALL players in a matchmaking game, if one has a mute ban.

Dont get me wrong though! I am all for these Bans to be integrated into Reach. However, My main issue with this Mute Ban is that innocent people can be wrongly accused, and everyone is effected by it in-game. If a player really does deserve a mute ban, then other players in that lobby are already able to mute that player. It doesnt need to be forced upon the player. people get upset and curse, microphones break, younger players play the game and people sometimes just mute anyone who isnt there friend. But the fact is, if it is forced, than everyone is effected and you are now penalizing a team rather than an individual.

With all that said, please vote to put a Ban on Mute Banning and get it out of Reach before it's released!

Even though the feature is interesting, I don't like how it can be so easily activated...

Yes, this is going to be abused beyond belief. Bungie is going too far with "banning". I have to quit games because I'm homeschooled and have to quit games in order to start a class. Someone should tell bungie.

Im with bungie on this i think you should watch what you say an if player even listening find it offensive you still are liable for it you said it

mic bans are way too far especially when you already have the mute options AND the social preferences

CrunchbiteNuva said:
mic bans are way too far especially when you already have the mute options AND the social preferences

Agreed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the comments, but please post on the original topic itself and vote as well. whichever your opinion may be, the more "noise" we make the more bungie will pay attention. They've already fixed the Invasion gametype to make it more fair, and that was DURING the beta.

CrunchbiteNuva said:

no way if someone has to mute then there is a problem

Spartan 051 said:
no way if someone has to mute then there is a problem

I Think you need to re write this, I think your saying "if someone has to be muted all the time then there is a problem". If that's the case then I agree. However, the system can be, and has already been abused. I mute a lot of people, people who may just have a high voice, not an annoying person, but I just dont like their voice, but i dont wish that they could never ever say a word to anyone or hear anyone just because of that.

The social setting don't work. I always put it quit/friendly and still have to listen to some idiots abusing the mic. Mic bans are not a bad thing, I think they should take voice away except for matches with your friends. The mics are the main reason I stopped Halo 3 online listening to every twelve year old through every obscenity they can together to sound tough is just annoying.

Lonewolf Armorer said:
The social setting don't work. I always put it quit/friendly and still have to listen to some idiots abusing the mic. Mic bans are not a bad thing, I think they should take voice away except for matches with your friends. The mics are the main reason I stopped Halo 3 online listening to every twelve year old through every obscenity they can together to sound tough is just annoying.

True I'm gonna argue my own point before about the social preferences as someone can just set their preferences just so they join up with other players and annoy the **** out of them, but who would actually do that....

I voted aginst the ban on the B.net, I think everyone has a mute option for a reason, there is just way too many what if questions in this to Not be sound...

Shade said:
I voted aginst the ban on the B.net, I think everyone has a mute option for a reason, there is just way too many what if questions in this to Not be sound...

Thanks! please leave a comment too!

Aaron said:
Yes, this is going to be abused beyond belief. Bungie is going too far with "banning". I have to quit games because I'm homeschooled and have to quit games in order to start a class. Someone should tell bungie.

Hey! another home schooled person! that makes 2 of us...

This does sound bad. I agree that if people incessantly scream into the mike or TK, then a ban would be a nice thing for the rest of the players. But it's sooo easy to activate, and people may just try to ban people for no apparent reason.

Aaron said:

Exactly! I have to quit in the middle of the game when my parents kick me off. Now i'm banned and can't play! WTF!

LT. Ty said:
Exactly! I have to quit in the middle of the game when my parents kick me off. Now i'm banned and can't play! WTF!

well then it shouldnt effect you much. the Quit ban is only active for 15-30 minutes or so. although they have the power to make it permanent.

What if there was an option added to the mute? Like, "What is the reason for muting this player? A. Offensive language B. Annoying voice C. Problem with microphone" etc etc. That way if a player has been muted for a reason that deserves a ban, then the appropriate actions can be taken, whereas the 'annoying voice' or mic problem can just be for you and no action is necessarily needed on their part?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back