I got a virus D:

Status
Not open for further replies.

seaninja

I'm having to write this in ubuntu because my main hard drive has a virus (or a ton of viruses) on it.
It all started when I tried to install Splinter Cell Chaos Theory onto my computer (no this was not a pirated version. It was purchased from amazon.com). Everything worked ok at first, but then it told me to restart. I restarted my computer and about 30 sec. after startup, BSOD mania! I tried to restart again and again and again with the same result. Now I have to transfer all of my important files (All of my pep files and my movie stuff) to my 1 TB HDD, and wipe the main HDD. So I hope you are happy Mr. hacker wherever you are. your virus did it's job well. Oh and I'll be making a short film based on this little experience in memory of the virus that is about to die by my hand :D... whew glad to get that out of my system

I'm pretty sure that its a virus because the blue screen of death says that it's starting a file dump. usually that means that somewhere in my system I have a file that has gone bad or I have a virus attacking my hard drive. this didn't start until today when I restarted my computer to complete my splinter cell 3 install.

every so often i got something like that too with file dumping and the blue screen, but with mine i traced the problem down to the Ram chips, one has an error and will need to be replaced for about 60$ that i can do myself. when it goes blue screen write down the error code and look up on another computer what the code means.

Usually it's a file dump and a hard drive partition. Not necessarily a bad thing, but not good none the less. Even wiping your HD won't remove all of the files. I'd recommend getting a new hard drive, because it does sound hardware related.

What kind of Anti-Virus are you running?

well whatever it is I think I fixed it for now. I'm using the latest version of norton (just updated it about 30 min. ago). I'm running virus scans on both of my hard drives to be on the safe side. All I can do right now is look at the bright side of this and say that now I have a great idea for a cgi animated short film :D

Internet marketing and geo marketing places an emphasis on marketing that appeals to a specific behavior or interest, rather than reaching out to a broadly defined demographic.

A file dump doesn't mean virus. The dump is a result of the files not being fully accessible in the system memory at the time of the crash. You shouldn't have wiped your drive. The install was probably corrupt. Sometimes if you are running an app while installing, the install will not properly cache the registry. The app doesn't have to be something you initiated. Programs like directx, adobe updater, and windows update can cause these crashes because they initiate at will without user notification. As far as antivirus software, norton is crap. It is better than nothing, but you should get a more powerful and more frequently updated antivirus program.

When you reinstall your os, make sure to turn off remote assistance. It is a well known backdoor for hackers.

Try using MalwareBytes free anti virus program http://www.malwarebytes.org/ for a free program it kicks the buts of others i have tried that you could buy in any computer store. it catches twice as mush as Norton did, or at least for me.

dung0beatle, i think you just solved my adobe troubles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back