I got putty! (or do i?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone!
So as the title may imply, i went to a hardway store today and picked up: polyester resin, hardener for it, the fiberglass mat thingy to go with it but then, when i asked for (greek equivalent of putty) they gave me this thing instead, saying it would become very sturdier then regular putty. Its called "polyester filler" and my main worry about it is, it says about fumes. I expected fumes from the fiberglass substitute while hardening etc but im worried about this putty substitute. It will be on a helment. Will that be a problem?
PS: I dont know if it is even suitable. The guy asked me "what application do you need it for?" And its not easy to explain "Im making a copy of an armor from a game to wear" no matter how easy it sounds so i just said
"Well im making some build, the base is paper and then im applying the resin, the mat and then the putty on top. I have to shape the putty though to correct any mistakes(which cancelled another two-part putty he had offered)"
Thanks in advance!
Cheers

the fumes are usually just here the times it cures, so it's wearable after, but I think you could try to put it on a sample (not the helmet) to see what it does when dryed
after a full day trying to make my helmet with resin and putty, I can tell you without protection your throat will burn, but once cured there's nothing to worry about.
so all I cas say is, make a test, and if it seems good go for it!

the fumes are usually just here the times it cures, so it's wearable after, but I think you could try to put it on a sample (not the helmet) to see what it does when dryed
after a full day trying to make my helmet with resin and putty, I can tell you without protection your throat will burn, but once cured there's nothing to worry about.
so all I cas say is, make a test, and if it seems good go for it!

I actually have protection. a proper gas mask in fact xD
But thanks!

You usually use putty for small areas for detail or to add reinforcement to a small area. If you use Epoxy putty on the entire piece it will become Very heavy. Since your using pepakura with cardstock just use the resin with mat cloth. Its strong enough to where you don need putty. The fumes will go away after a few days.

You usually use putty for small areas for detail or to add reinforcement to a small area. If you use Epoxy putty on the entire piece it will become Very heavy. Since your using pepakura with cardstock just use the resin with mat cloth. Its strong enough to where you don need putty. The fumes will go away after a few days.

I plan to mostly use it to get rid of the whole "geometric" shape but im conflicted because i REALLY want it to be very sturdy. . What would you suggest?
Also, thanks for replying!
Cheers!

resin and fiberglass would be a good combo, with two or three layers you get something hard.
and on top of that it's quite light, unless you put a massive amount of it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back