I Need A Cheaper Material To Make Molds From

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad you found a method that will work for your needs, I agree with both of you but in the case of soul products I think he's labor does not mean as much as he need to save money so for him time is not an issue, it's out of pocket expenses which are harder to come by. Until he puts value to his Labor it's considered a free commodity (which is the point of a hobby, once you start put a $ value to labor its then becomes work)Hobbyists care more about saving money then how long something took to do so if he wants to put hours of extra time in and the material cost he can live with then thats what works best for him. I'm in the same boat as Awesomeness and Gremlin117 I like to wait to figure out how to get the money for the right material or the best materials for my needs...I have parts sitting around just waiting for either "free"time or the right materials to do it(which usually means silicon molds, big ones)

I have agree with Awesomeness and Gremlin117 I think it would be faster to just do another piece and the second will be faster than the first considering you work out the issues and you have done one already, the positive side to doing a mold is to make two piece that will be lighter than the first or you plan on trading the others ppl for other parts.

I hope this is helping and not confusing you I'm sure its not the intention of anyone here to confuse anyone to the point they don't know what they are going to do, just to give options.

ghostartist said:
Glad you found a method that will work for your needs, I agree with both of you but in the case of soul products I think he's labor does not mean as much as he need to save money so for him time is not an issue, it's out of pocket expenses which are harder to come by...

I have agree with Awesomeness and Gremlin117 I think it would be faster to just do another piece...

I think molding it will cost him MORE money than the paper model and Bondo. That's going to cause him problems. I think making a mold is going to take longer than the paper model and Bondo. That's going to cause him problems too.

What do you guys think?

Soul, you're welcome to come over to my house and use my CraftROBO. You'll be done in 2 hours! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesomeness said:
I think molding it will cost him MORE money than the paper model and Bondo. That's going to cause him problems. I think making a mold is going to take longer than the paper model and Bondo. That's going to cause him problems too.

What do you guys think?

Soul, you're welcome to come over to my house and use my CraftROBO. You'll be done in 2 hours! :p

Damn I totally forgot about that machine that would make it totally easy I guess its time to ebay it and see whats up that would be sweet to have it cut and printed out in one shot, save on the pain my old hands get everytime I cut one out.

As to the issue at hand I'm not sure I'm not a fan of the cheap Silicon method because it is just so touchy but it could cost more. I say when it doubt just do another piece, and save the possible headaches you may come up against.

So I see how it is. Me and Awesomeness both are big fans of letting the computer do it (both have craftrobo's, both in pursuit of a cnc... eventually). I think molding a Smoothcast piece even with a cheap caulk mold will cost significantly more than doing another piece but... molding would be faster.

Now I will tell you pouring them in a paper model works very well since they form a composite sheet kind of like an airplane wing, paper on one side fiberglass on the other. When you roto cast them they only have one side to attach to so you ether need them to be very thick and heavy or very brittle.

I use my caulk molds to cast plaster/concrete for sculpting/mold masters so I never really gave much thought to making a "wearable" cast without using a real catalyzed casting material.

Edit: The cheap silicone plan can indeed cost more depending on what you are comparing it to. But it also fills the void in between the trial size kits and the full on 1 or 2 gal kits. It is also easily purchased by those who can't afford the large cost all at once. I do agree it is a bit touchy sometimes... If I get a day where it is above freezing outside I'll try to make a vid. Given the current forecast is could be a while :(

Gremlin117 said:
So I see how it is. Me and Awesomeness both are big fans of letting the computer do it (both have craftrobo's, both in pursuit of a cnc... eventually).

Hell yes! I sit and drink a beer, from the comfort of my computer chair, while the machine does most of the work. haha

Awesomeness said:
Hell yes! I sit and drink a beer, from the comfort of my computer chair, while the machine does most of the work. haha

I'll be right there next to you I about to buy one now, I can use it as a digital printer as well...

ghostartist said:
I'll be right there next to you I about to buy one now, I can use it as a digital printer as well...

It doesn't print, it just cuts. You print on your printer, then put it in the cutter to cut it out. Just so you know what you're buying.

Awesomeness said:
It doesn't print, it just cuts. You print on your printer, then put it in the cutter to cut it out. Just so you know what you're buying.

if you replace the the cutter tool with a pen tool it prints as well so I get everything I want in one machine this is machine I'm looking at: Graphtec Craft ROBO 330L Vinyl Cutter CraftRobo

ghostartist said:
if you replace the the cutter tool with a pen tool it prints as well so I get everything I want in one machine this is machine I'm looking at: Graphtec Craft ROBO 330L Vinyl Cutter CraftRobo

Yes, that's correct. That is the machine I have, also. The pen holder is a $10-15 optional part, so make sure you order it too.

Awesomeness said:
Yes, that's correct. That is the machine I have, also. The pen holder is a $10-15 optional part, so make sure you order it too.

Will do thanks for the sweet tip....

I think the greatest thing he can gain here is the experience of making this type of mold for the first time. That is invaluable. The experience from doing that will possibly carry over into other projects for him. I dont usually give molding tips to beginners because of the potential for disaster as I refuse to believe that something as complex as mold making can be well taught in a few posts...however in his case I read his other posts and saw the amount of effort he had already put into his project and felt he would be a rare case that might grow his knowledge base and keep using what he woud learn to make more things than just this one costume.

Yes it would be more time and money efficient to just pep another shin piece...but by going thru the process of doing an inexpensive mold he will gain a SKILL, that may affect the future of his projects.

Drgnfyre4 said:
I think the greatest thing he can gain here is the experience of making this type of mold for the first time. That is invaluable. The experience from doing that will possibly carry over into other projects for him. I dont usually give molding tips to beginners because of the potential for disaster as I refuse to believe that something as complex as mold making can be well taught in a few posts...however in his case I read his other posts and saw the amount of effort he had already put into his project and felt he would be a rare case that might grow his knowledge base and keep using what he woud learn to make more things than just this one costume.

Yes it would be more time and money efficient to just pep another shin piece...but by going thru the process of doing an inexpensive mold he will gain a SKILL, that may affect the future of his projects.

wow im gonna print that reply and put it on my wall

thanks that means a lot

this is a half "i dont want to do pep" and "i wonder wat makeing a mold is like" feeling and i want to say i really appreciate all the opinions and insight to this subject

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back