• other

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • needler

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
smick6 said:
I never saw that stuff. Pretty interesting. I can see possibly using it on sme projects. It is fairly expensive though. I think I will order some of the pink el wire, leds and try to get some crystals and just mess around with all of it. I figured if I got a long section of the wire I might be able to string it through out the needler to all the locations that need the lights. It will really need a mock up before I decide.

Yeah, it is pretty kewl stuff, heh. I've seen a number of people on a Star Trek-related prop forum I frequent use it for scale starship builds (gives a nice, even illumination for the windows and warp nacelles). Also works great for backlighting the display area on PADDs; a hand-held prop that was widely used in the last few series (TNG, DS9, VOY).

Given the stark constrast in pricing -- EL wire sells for maybe $10.00, whereas EL sheet sells for $75-275 (you get your choice of A4 up to A2 size sheets, plus a 220V inverter for household power supplies or a 12V for car power supplies) -- I don't think it would be very cost-effective for this project.

Although, on the same site I posted that link to, you can purchase a smaller 155mm by 130mm, cuttable version (they describe it as "El foil/panel", but it's the same thing) that can be powered off a car cigarette lighter socket. If you're any good with wiring, it should be fairly easy to re-wire it to run from another power source.

Just make sure your alternate power supply has the same voltage, otherwise you'll run into the problem of it either not being bright enough per the specs, or it might not work at all. Electronics, even simple electronics, can be kinda finicky like that, lol.

That kit only sells for $33.00 plus taxes and shipping, so that would be more within your price range. And in terms of size, I imagine that one would still be large enough to at least light the top side of the lower rear "prong".

The great thing about the EL sheets is that they're flexible (you can bend it to fit contoured areas), ultra-thin (only 0.5mm, which is thinner than a credit card) and never get hot. You only have the choice of white (looks pink when off) or blue ( stone white when off), but since you don't have to worry about overheating issues you could easily apply a layer of pink or purple tinted acetate (the same flimsy plastic sheet they use for overhead projector documents) to get the desired colour.

I'm not trying to push that particular product on you or anything, lol, I just think it's versatile enough to suit your needs. Of course, the same can be said for the EL wire. It would be my personal preference more than anything, I guess :p

As for this project, I concur that a combination of EL wire and some LEDs would probably work best in this instance. Like we've been brainstorming here, the best approach for this would be to use the EL wire for the beam emitter at the front, and then maybe use the LEDs for illuminating the the shards/rounds from underneath.

If you're thinking of using a single length of wire and stringing it through the entire piece, for your mock-up I would suggest fabricating some sort of simple internal frame designed to hold the wiring in place underneath the lit areas of the Needler, to ensure you get adequate illumination in those areas. You wouldn't want the wiring pulling away from the lit areas, after all.

Last edited by a moderator:
hey, sorry im late with this:

http://www.4shared.com/file/79671792/28e15a37/needler.html

ill go check for the halo one version.
Done...
http://www.4shared.com/file/79675020/af366..._1_needler.html

would you like the texture maps and bump maps too?
...and Done
needler_gun.jpg

needler_gun-1.jpg

EDIT: whoopse, you'll need to flip the bump map verticly to make it line up right. sorry.

What if that pink part in the front was like a mini grav lift. So it launches the needles out with that. Since it is smaller, maybe the force is more focused.

I have to say its great getting all the help and suggestions from you guys. It is appreciated. It will be a good group effort.

I just took some more H3 in game shots of the needler so I will be putting together a reference poster (groups of pics all angles) to hang up. I put it infront of my work bench to help me come up with ideas and for during build reference. Sometime I do some mockup blueprints to. Nothing pretty to see usually rough drawings and the measurements I need.
I'm ordering some pink el lighting tonight so next is to try and find some acrylic to test. If anyone has used a good acrylic supplier please feel free to put it here or pm me. I have a few from some people but would like a few more.

The mauler is catching up so tell people on your friends list to put in a vote. I might have to do both.

smick6 said:
I have to say its great getting all the help and suggestions from you guys. It is appreciated. It will be a good group effort.

Indeed it will be! It feels good to be able to help participate in a project like this again. And you're more than welcome, buddy. After all, if any of what we've been suggesting here can help make things go more quickly and easily for you on this build, the better ;)

smick6 said:
I just took some more H3 in game shots of the needler so I will be putting together a reference poster (groups of pics all angles) to hang up. I put it infront of my work bench to help me come up with ideas and for during build reference. Sometime I do some mockup blueprints to. Nothing pretty to see usually rough drawings and the measurements I need.
I'm ordering some pink el lighting tonight so next is to try and find some acrylic to test. If anyone has used a good acrylic supplier please feel free to put it here or pm me. I have a few from some people but would like a few more.

The mauler is catching up so tell people on your friends list to put in a vote. I might have to do both.

You know what? I do the same thing when I start working on projects such as this, lol. I like to have as many direct reference pics on hand when I start working on whatever it is, and often pin them up in front of my work area. Same thing with the "mock-up" schematics, too. I like to thoroughly plan these things out.

I'll usually go through at least two rough drafts before I get the desired size and look, but never throw any of my work (even my rough work) out. I have a "thing" about retaining all of that, as it shows the progression of my work. On occasion, I may even quickly throw together a rough physical "mock-up" of the piece in question to give myself a better idea of how it'll look when finished. Having a 3D "dummy" build-up also helps to better motivate me to complete it.

You and I are more on the same wave length than I thought, dude :D heh

So, are you ordering the EL lighting from a local source, or somewhere online? I only ask because, regarding any good acrylic suppliers, do you want/need the supplier close to where you live or can they be online? If so, I'll search around and see what I can come up with.

BOLD # 2: I hadn't noticed, but the Mauler does seem to be keeping up a good pace with the Needler. You're going to have your hands full if both get the vote; then we'll have to do more brainstorming for that one as well, lol.

i just wanted to stop in and say.

every time i see this thread it makes me laugh. if anyone else made a thread like this it would get closed...

but then i realize that its Smick the dude that made the most beautiful spiker ever (thats how i remember you, the spiker guy). so its acceptable.

damn politics man, i tell ya.

p.s. im still voting you should make the Mauler its not to late to change your mind :whistle:

DreadMullet said:

every time i see this thread it makes me laugh. if anyone else made a thread like this it would get closed...

but then i realize that its Smick the dude that made the most beautiful spiker ever (thats how i remember you, the spiker guy). so its acceptable.

p.s. im still voting you should make the Mauler its not to late to change your mind :whistle:

He may end up doing both, which I would have absolutely nothing against. :D

DreadMullet said:

You are kind of right, most topics have some project going on to keep it going. I figure its kind of an outlet for people to help out with suggestions and any ideas they have. I find it interesting the way ideas are getting played back and forth here. It gives everybody a chance to give their input. I also figured it can help other people with other projects to, alot of the lighting ideas can be used in other projects.
If this is going to far with the thread I can alway start up a dedicated Mauler :D oh I mean Needler thread. Mods let me know.
Either way thanks for voting.

Spartan I am sourcing the stuff from the intertnet so if there is something you see let me know.

Personally, I don't see a problem with this thread having taken the course it has, and I seriously doubt the Admin/Mod group will see it any differently. True, maybe there is no actual project in progress yet (smick is still in the planning stage after all), but as he said the on-going discussion here has really helped to present some good ideas for this project and others, and has maybe even helped to give other members some ideas for thier own projects.

The whole point of a community such as this (and others like it) is to share and expand our knowledge, and to improve our skills in what we do. I believe the content of this thread has remained true to that ideal, and perfectly demonstrates the purpose of such venues existing. Not every thread here has to have pics for it to be valid, so long as it stays on the main topic. Which in this case, is just what project everyone thinks he should take on next, and what we've all been discussing here is heading in that general direction.

I agree the ideas and suggestions being played back and forth here is great. It's been nothing but constructive in the most positive sense, and helps smick toward his goal of starting on his next, much-anticipated project. If the Admin/Mod group had any problems with the direction this thread has gone, I think they would've said something by now. So, all is well, imho.

@ smick: Good to know, dude. I'll look around and see what I can find to help out on that end of things :D

smick6 said:
You are kind of right, most topics have some project going on to keep it going. I figure its kind of an outlet for people to help out with suggestions and any ideas they have. I find it interesting the way ideas are getting played back and forth here. It gives everybody a chance to give their input. I also figured it can help other people with other projects to, alot of the lighting ideas can be used in other projects.
If this is going to far with the thread I can alway start up a dedicated Mauler :D oh I mean Needler thread. Mods let me know.
Either way thanks for voting.

Spartan I am sourcing the stuff from the intertnet so if there is something you see let me know.

So does this mean that we're getting both for sure? (y)

I agree with Spartan and Smick6. I have gained valuable knowllage on ways I can build future weapons.

Ah Smick, I'm glad to see your creative juices working to the full on this. Sorry I'm a bit late in voting but I've only just seen this topic. I would have to agree and go with the Needler. It would be an amazing achievment.

Oh and I wonder if I could guess your secret project that you have going on. If it's Halo related and judging from our previous conversations I reckon I could take a stab in the dark as to what it is.

papamurf812 said:
So does this mean that we're getting both for sure? (y)

I wouldn't be too sure about that, dude. According to the poll, the Mauler stands at 22%, whereas the Needler is still leading at almost 27%. They're close, but not close enough to warrant him focusing on both. Besides, he's only got so much spare time to devote to this project, so he can't take on too much at the moment.

Btw smick, just what is your deadline for the poll? Or are you going to keep it open indefinately? o_O

SPARTAN II said:
I wouldn't be too sure about that, dude. According to the poll, the Mauler stands at 22%, whereas the Needler is still leading at almost 27%. They're close, but not close enough to warrant him focusing on both. Besides, he's only got so much spare time to devote to this project, so he can't take on too much at the moment.

Btw smick, just what is your deadline for the poll? Or are you going to keep it open indefinately? o_O
I had just meant in the future, I don't think he would do two at the same time.

SPARTAN II said:

I think the poll has given me enough info. I will be working on the needler soon. I ordered some el lights to check out. Once they come in and I do some mock-ups I will start the needler thread for sure. Thanks for voting.

smick6 said:
I think the poll has given me enough info. I will be working on the needler soon. I ordered some el lights to check out. Once they come in and I do some mock-ups I will start the needler thread for sure. Thanks for voting.

You're more than welcome, buddy! Looking forward to seeing this project get started! *browses the forums, eagerly looking for new Needler thread, lol* :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back