I need help making a mold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gengar

Hey guys, I just made my 2nd Pepakura helmet, the first one I did was a Fallout Ranger helmet, now I'm doing a T45d Power armor helmet, and I have no clue where to start molding/casting it.
I know that I need some form of silicone (and lots of it apparently) and a few other things.What is the easiest way to make a mother mold? Do I need registration keys? What materials do I need?
Any help is appreciated ;)

I recommend watching some videos on YouTube, PunishedProps is very helpful there.
Most people use Dragonskin for the silicone. Most common mother mold is resin with fiberglass. Yes, registration keys are big help.

Really, recommend watching some videos or tutorial by ImpactProps - http://www.impactprops.net/molding-and-casting.html

Also, if you're doing the helmet... You should have it all finished in order to mold it.

Wow thanks, that's a really useful link. Well my helmet is all the way done, just a bit more sanding to do...

Smooth-on makes a product called rebound 25 which is very good and used by lots of people for their silicon molds. It stretches very good and retains it's shape without the need for too many keys. Your registration keys are just something that will allow your silicon mold to keep its shape within the support shell (mother mold) during the casting process. Without the use of keys the silicon mold can shift during the rotocasting and once the resin begins to cure (harden) you'll end up with flat spots or dents from where it has pulled away. I mix up my silicon and pour small even amounts into ice cube trays in order to create my mold keys, I've also seen it done by using the small amounts of silicone leftover in the mixing cups once cured. I choose the cubes over the cups as I prefer the uniformity.

Support shell: This can be made very cheap and fast by using plaster bandages. A little more expensive option is the fiberglass, while an even more expensive option being epoxy putty's. This is all about personal preference and skill set. I use whatever I have laying around but can say the fiberglass is preferred.

Lastly, your base, model, helmet, whatever you want to call it needs to be as close to perfect as you can get it. Once you think it's there, take a 2 day break from it and then look at it once more. Any imperfections will need to be dealt with before you mold as the mold will just replicate them. This is why you see people using primer on their props before molding. They're looking for imperfections that must be addressed as doing the hard work now means you can run cast after cast with minimal issues.

Alright, what how exactly do I make the mother mold, or the hard shell on the outside, I know it has to be 2 pieces but how would I make it like that. Also, don't I need some hardening stuff or anything at all extra besides just normal 2 part silicone?

Alright, what how exactly do I make the mother mold, or the hard shell on the outside, I know it has to be 2 pieces but how would I make it like that. Also, don't I need some hardening stuff or anything at all extra besides just normal 2 part silicone?

Fibreglass if you want to go with the common route, but I've seen plaster mother moulds too. Honestly, go look up some tutorials, there have to be hundreds on Google that would probably teach you better than we could too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back